Effect on performance from hormone treatment for prostate cancer

ken66

Post by ken66 »

In March I had Radiotherapy for Prostate cancer. My consultant ‘advises’ you to continue on hormones (testosterone suppression) for 6 months after Radiotherapy treatment. It is apparent that I have lost some stamina particularly on hills compared with some regular cycling companions. I am 70 & a relative newcomer as I only took up cycling 10 years ago. I still manage to average around 14 mph on many rides so no real complaints. The decline in my performance isn’t severe & may be partly due to the inevitable ageing process but its seems logical to me that the hormone treatment will have some adverse effect. With PC being so common many others must have had this treatment so can I look forward to any improvement in my performance when I’m rid of the testosterone suppression? If not I’m happy enough just to continue cycling!
Last edited by ken66 on 8 Jul 2020, 7:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Effect on performance from hormone treatment for prostate cancer

Post by Jdsk »

I'm not aware of any studies of exercise performance in the setting you describe.

If you do have side-effects from the hormone therapy they're likely to decrease when it stops. And exercise does decrease the side-effects as well all of its other health benefits.

Have you found all of the advice to patients from Cancer Research UK?
https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/prostate-cancer/practical-emotional-support/hormone-symptoms

And would you be interested in joining a self-help group?

Jonathan
ken66

Post by ken66 »

Thanks for your response Jonathon. Since my diagnosis I’ve probably done more reading on the internet than is good for me! The effect of the hormone treatment on cycling is not something I’m too bothered about, I just thought I would put the question to a different audience. I attend (or used to before lockdown) monthly support meetings of a local Prostate Cancer Charity called Prostaid which serves Leicestershire, Rutland & Northamptonshire. Since lockdown these meetings have been via Zoom. I have found them to be a valuable source of information & support
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That sounds smart to me.

Jonathan
Bikes`n`guns

Post by Bikes`n`guns »

It knocked the crap out of my old man so I'd be surprised if it didn't have an effect.

His legs were the worst affected.
Johnocyprus

Post by Johnocyprus »

I went through all this two years ago, rest assured all will be well. My energy levels dipped considerably and my running and cycling suffered however now I’m cycling as well as ever.
Good luck.
ken66

Post by ken66 »

Johnocyprus wrote:I went through all this two years ago, rest assured all will be well. My energy levels dipped considerably and my running and cycling suffered however now I’m cycling as well as ever.
Good luck.

Thanks Johno, that’s reassuring. It’s the performance drop that I’ve noticed rather than a dip in energy levels. With the prevalence of prostate cancer particularly in ‘men of a certain age’ I’m surprised there hasn’t been more response to my post. Perhaps people prefer not to talk about it!