Facebook / whats app

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Facebook / whats app

Post by simonineaston »

I'm in IT and am qualified to offer support for GDPR, so am at least more aware of many IT / online issues than the average user, so after a lot of thought, I decided to delete my Facebook account. Why? Well I just couldn't square the idea of continuing to use it, at the same time as knowing about controversies centering on things like data use, data privacy, fake-news etc.etc.etc. Trouble is, a lot of people I know continue to use FB unabated, like local businesses, bands, bars/restaurants (remember them??), friends inc. my 2 US-based cousins, who don't use anything else! I can't be the only person who has moved away from FB - what do other folk do who don't like FB ethics, but want to stay in the loop with FB users?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
recumbentpanda

Re: Facebook cynic -wot to do?

Post by recumbentpanda »

I maintain a ‘sekrit’ account under an assumed, but plausible name. The timeline is never read and never posted to, but it gives me a login if I need to see things other users have posted on theirs. If FB delete it, as they have been known to do, I just open another. I’d rather have nothing to do with them, but as you say, occasionally it’s still necessary. It’s a shame, FB is potentially such a useful service, but under current architecture, just too open to abuse both from above and below.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

simonineaston wrote: - what do other folk do who don't like FB ethics, but want to stay in the loop with FB users?
Mrs Mick F is a FB user, so she keeps me informed family and friends on there.

I can't stand the idea of me using it, so don't have an account.

Mrs Mick F is very savvy about FB, and she has filtered out all the rubbish. If she sees anything that she's not interested in or doesn't like, she ignores or deletes it.

FB Messenger is ok, and I had an account once. Since changing my phone, I've lost the false name and number I used.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It is annoying 'cos so many local businesses and bands use it routinely to announce gigs and special events, that are diary dates, ie, if you know about it, you go, you know which of your mates are going in advance and you can chat about it it online before & after etc.etc. I guess the answer is create a "sekrit" account as suggsted... bit galling somehow, tho'...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Many a time I’ve hovered over the delete button on FB. I can live with it providing I don’t look more than once a month.
The reason I haven’t deleted is as said earlier so many businesses, organisations, events the details you’d like are often only available on Fb.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
peetee

Post by peetee »

I avoided anything like Facebook for years and always used pseudonyms in online forums. Customers to my business were surprised I didn’t have an account but I never felt I was missing out.
Since my move west last summer I have joined an excellent cycling club who’s primary conduit for communication is twitface, sorry, Facebook. I have put myself forward to assist all the members so I can’t really be a ‘sleeping’ user, even if I am a reluctant one. It’s undeniably a useful tool in such circumstances but I block anything that isn’t club-related. I really have no interest in how many rugby shirts my sixth form college mate has!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

When I bought my Longitude in 2015 someone on the forum told me of a chap who'd done an off road tour on one in Wales,but it was on FB and I'd need to sign up for an account to see it,so I did and left a positive comment about it.
The amount of tripe I got from people wanting to befriend me,along with a whole pile of other stuff I couldn't be mithered with,I thought if this is FB they can have it and deleted my account :)
I've never felt the need for it since.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I've tried "joining" a few different photographic and motorhome user groups, but they're all run via FB.
I've been sorely tempted a few times but really don't want to know the ins and outs of everyone else's life.
So thanks John, for that timely reminder definitely not to bother. :wink:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

FaeceBook should not be the only tool a group uses.

Whilst I have an account I haven’t logged in the last eight months, though I do still use the account through messenger.

Even I had an active account I used to have regular “friend” list purges.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Too many friends and family I know use FB.
As a tool to keep in touch with people it's easily the best thing out there.

During the lockdown FB was a lifeline for a lot of people, it gave them a feeling of community and connection with friends and family.

Does it have problems? Of course.
But if others keep making noise about the crap bits (not that I agree with all their views) then like all organisations FB is forced to have the occasional rethink and all is well (or at least generally moving in the right direction).
Navara

Post by Navara »

I just take it for what it is,no more,no less.
It's a necessary evil for many nowadays.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I am with Navara on this. It is necessary because so many local organisations use it to put out information and the use has extended during the present pandemic. I have probably had hundreds of friend requests. Just ignore them.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

ambodach wrote:I have probably had hundreds of friend requests. Just ignore them.

You can set FB to only allow "friends of friends" to send you a request.

I don't think I have it turned on but my profile is private so tbh I only very rarely get them.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I must try that kwackers but hesitate to delve into their system further than needed. My profile is total fiction anyway and they only have my email address correctly I hope but goodness knows what else they have ferreted out from the pages I look at.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have a FB account. I only use it to keep in touch with local news and stuff to do with my VW Camper. I have no friends whatsoever, even my kids, and just ignore all friend requests. I am members of several groups and post something only a few times a year.
I have found the buying and selling bit quite useful. I got a free greenhouse and as greenhouse glass is standard sizes was able to repair my run down greenhouse with many smashed panes for free. It has been very useful to address technical problems with the Camper and source low cost and free parts for it.
Having two musicians in the house the goto communication method for bands and band members seems to be Instagram. You can message people on that too.
Day to day comms to friends family, U3A and Ramblers etc is Whatsapp which I think is absolutely marvelous without any privacy issues as far as I am aware.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......