A Right Way to think about Statues?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: A Right Way to think about Statues?

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote:I have a solution. Just as placcie bags are v. bad on account of their failure to decompose, meaning they end up strangling swans and giving porpoises indigestion, so we need to make statues water-soluble... !! Hoist the hero where all can see - by the time society's values have swiveled away in another direction, said hero has simply melted away - Genius :lol:

You would then have an even bigger problem on your hands:- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blob
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Excellent - I'm so gonna watch that!
aaaarrrrghhhh!!
aaaarrrrghhhh!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Personally I have never been particularly keen or interested about statues. It has sometimes been interesting to see what people looked like but thats about it. Paintings and photographs can also convey that and dont take up public space. I have always wondered how long interest in figures would actually last, not long I have always thought. There seem to be far too many. However monuments commemorating events do seem to be relavent for a time at least. What will history decide centuries from now?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Mercalia
The destroyers of those gravestones and the writers of the scrawled messages are purely racist,that's a given and are no better than Colston himself as such.

I've posted my thoughts on effigies in public places that glorify wo/men unecessarily already so you have my answer.
What do you think?

particular reference?

What do you mean,reference to what?

where you indicate your views. not sure what they are
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:where you indicate your views. not sure what they are

My first post on this thread.
W H Auden
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Overheard in Bristol Council offices:

"Thank god for that, we won't have to waste any more time talking about that ruddy statue?"
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Or maybe overheard in Bristol council offices:

"Hey everybody, I've just found out there was this bloke from Bristol a few hundred years ago who made a fortune transporting slaves from Africa to America. Anyway, he gave lots of that money to get schools built in Bristol and such like. I think we should put up a statue to him. Good idea, eh?"
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Capture.JPG
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Seems like some want to tear down Clive of India as part of the BLM hysteria. Seems that much that is thought about him is fake news from disgruntled contemporaries.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/clive-india-statue-Whitehall-should-not-fall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The statue-topplers are obsessed with white men and white history
A lot of people are obsessed with a lot of things at the mo. 2 contributary factors - i) the ease with which we can self-publish. Not a moment goes by without an indvidual or a group announcing their manifesto online, with the possibility that it will snow-ball or 'go viral' - the more extreme or unusual, the higher the likelihood it will... and ii) at the back of the minds of most folk active online is the utterly dreadful fear that they may be in on the end-game and that thought quite simply drives all sort of alternative protesting behaviour carried out as what known as displacement activity. Except if your name is Greta Thunberg, whose excellent little mind, is autistic enough for her to be able to focus solely on one particularly thorny issue. Kind-of like Joan d'Arc - let's hope she doesn't suffer the same fate!
Last edited by simonineaston on 9 Jul 2020, 4:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Probably better if here were no statue at all. Pity anyone thought of them in the first place.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Some of the stories are fake news, about ten days ago it was reported in various places that people/ a pressure group/ a person(?) were demanding the removal of the statue of Constantine outside York Minster. The reason being that Constantine was part of a society based on slavery (though of course all colours of skin were slaves in ancient Rome). However York Minster released a statement saying it had not received such demands and the future of the statue was not being considered.

That doesn't stop some idiot who knows nothing about Roman history and slavery throwing paint all over it of course.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Probably better if here were no statue at all. Pity anyone thought of them in the first place.

For me the whole lot of these effigies would be taken down,they only litter up the places where they're erected and most are an eyesore or somewhere for someone on a night out to place a traffic cone on top of anyway.
Bronze would bring a good price in scrap value and the plinth they stood on could be used as a place for street artists to perform,Nelson's phallus aside that is as the performer would be too far away to see and hear.
That reminds me,I wonder which side Nelson did dress on,he was a bit lobsided after a few naval encounters........
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Probably better if here were no statue at all. Pity anyone thought of them in the first place.

For me the whole lot of these effigies would be taken down,they only litter up the places where they're erected and most are an eyesore or somewhere for someone on a night out to place a traffic cone on top of anyway.
Bronze would bring a good price in scrap value and the plinth they stood on could be used as a place for street artists to perform,Nelson's phallus aside that is as the performer would be too far away to see and hear.
That reminds me,I wonder which side Nelson did dress on,he was a bit lobsided after a few naval encounters........

would any one miss Nelson? Just keep the column :lol: or put an observation platform up there ?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

would any one miss Nelson? Just keep the column :lol: or put an observation platform up there ?

How do we know he's still there?
W H Auden