A1-Bamburgh/Northumberland.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Navara

A1-Bamburgh/Northumberland.

Post by Navara »

We've just had our late August holiday in Northumberland confirmed so I'm planning day rides.We're staying in Seahouses.Looking at possible routes they will involve crossing the A1.Having not been in that area for many years does anyone know if that stretch is now dual carriageway or M-way?
There are several little junctions/crossings but I would want to avoid crossing if it's going to be a 70mph+ road.Are any via bridges or underpass?
One particular ride is to Lindisfarne and looking on the map I would be crossing at Belford or Belford Station then again at West Mains.
Is this feasible or best avoided?
thirdcrank

Re: A1-Bamburgh/Northumberland.

Post by thirdcrank »

There's been a lot of tinkering about with this length of the A1 including "improvements" at junctions but I think nothing significant has been done on the long-term assumption that eventually it will become motorway, (which increasingly looks to be mistaken.)

The good news is that the google imagery, especially google earth is up-to-date so you can look and see.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

You should not have any problems at those junctions, yes the A1 in Northumberland can be fast and is no place for cyclists, but in comparison to down south it is quiet. If in doubt just get off the bike and walk over.

There are a few staggered junctions on the A1 that I occasionally use where I have to join the road for quarter of a mile or so, and sometimes I can do it without seeing any traffic. Traffic on the A1 in north northumberland is often all or nothing, you will get a few lorries followed by a mile of cars all jockeying to overtake (incredibly dangerous) then that madness passes and the road is quiet and peaceful.

Be careful on the causway over to Holy Island, people go a bit mental in their cars when they drive over this, I go over there 3 or 4 times a year and usually encounter bizarre driving, last time I was over some nutter past me doing about 80. And when the tide starts to cross there are those who will just drive into the water - seriously motorists go on 10x more oddly there than on other roads.

There is some fantastic cycling to be had on very quiet roads west of the A1, was down there a few days ago, in 40 mile I probably seen less than 10 cars!. coastal Northumberland in the summer months is sadly now just too busy, I keep the coast for the winter.
nickp

Post by nickp »

The A1 at those crossings is single carriageway 60mph. West Mains has a dedicated cycle track crossing with a central refuge away from the Holy Island road junction; the crossing at Belford is an offset road junction with no extra provision for bikes. Not usually too challenging crossing at either of these places.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

thirdcrank wrote:There's been a lot of tinkering about with this length of the A1 including "improvements" at junctions but I think nothing significant has been done on the long-term assumption that eventually it will become motorway, (which increasingly looks to be mistaken.)

The good news is that the google imagery, especially google earth is up-to-date so you can look and see.

just had a look at the google imagery and it looks pretty much the same as it does now. Rumours of the A1 being dualled through north northumberland have abounded for decades, it will never happen.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

nickp wrote:The A1 at those crossings is single carriageway 60mph. West Mains has a dedicated cycle track crossing with a central refuge away from the Holy Island road junction; the crossing at Belford is an offset road junction with no extra provision for bikes. Not usually too challenging crossing at either of these places.

Looking at a map you would get the impression there was a cycle route straight over avoiding the dog leg.
Is it true or just another bit of useless infra?

CFFF7878-3B44-455B-97FA-E729FC7F8A42.jpeg

Edit. To answer my own question looking on streetview I see there are two junctions one with cycle route and one without. :|
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Navara

Post by Navara »

Thanks everyone.

Pebble wrote:There is some fantastic cycling to be had on very quiet roads west of the A1, was down there a few days ago, in 40 mile I probably seen less than 10 cars!. coastal Northumberland in the summer months is sadly now just too busy, I keep the coast for the winter.

I seem to be spoil for choice to the West of the A1!
I'm assuming if I stick to the minor roads East of the A1 down towards Alnmouth/Amble I should be able to get a fairly quiet ride in?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's lovely around Shilbottle, Guyzance etc but the coastal route (A 1068?) is signed as a tourist route and in normal times attracts tourists.
Navara

Post by Navara »

thirdcrank wrote:It's lovely around Shilbottle, Guyzance etc but the coastal route (A 1068?) is signed as a tourist route and in normal times attracts tourists.

I aim to stay off that as much as possible!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The road from Alnmouth to Amble and Walkworth has a track alongside much of it. A lovely run. Cycletravel has some good route suggestions.

Holy Island is easy without being on the A1 and the crossing at Beal is straightforward. The Route 68 is a lovely route through Northumberland.
John
Navara

Post by Navara »

Oldjohnw wrote: Cycletravel has some good route suggestions.

Very useful tool!I had not heard of Cycletravel.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

thirdcrank wrote:It's lovely around Shilbottle, Guyzance etc but the coastal route (A 1068?) is signed as a tourist route and in normal times attracts tourists.

Indeed, that area around Guyzance is still a joy.

the 1068 - as a child (10 yo late 60s) me and my mates used to regularly pedal along that road (what where our parents thinking of). Nowadays, I do venture onto it if needs must, but what an unpleasant road, even the lovely cycle track alongside the 1068 between Lesbury and walkworth is ruined by the stink fumes and noise from all the traffic.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Navara wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote: Cycletravel has some good route suggestions.

Very useful tool!I had not heard of Cycletravel.

Run, I believe, by one Richard Fairhurst of this parish.

https://cycle.travel/map
John
Navara

Post by Navara »

It looks very good for route planning in unfamiliar areas.I will be having a good play around with it over the weekend.I usually plot routes and leave it up to chance whether or not my route is "good".It will be interesting to see where this software takes me......
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Navara wrote:We've just had our late August holiday in Northumberland confirmed so I'm planning day rides.We're staying in Seahouses.Looking at possible routes they will involve crossing the A1.Having not been in that area for many years does anyone know if that stretch is now dual carriageway or M-way?
There are several little junctions/crossings but I would want to avoid crossing if it's going to be a 70mph+ road.Are any via bridges or underpass?
One particular ride is to Lindisfarne and looking on the map I would be crossing at Belford or Belford Station then again at West Mains.
Is this feasible or best avoided?

I cycled up there a bit. Between Shilbottle and Belford l can think of at least four, including the one that crosses the A1 from Coastal Grains over to Belford. Alnwick /Alnmouth is s bridge the others aren't but l've never had a problem crossing at any of them.