Which gear lever will work with a Shimano Deore m610 10-speed rear mech?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Telecaster68

Which gear lever will work with a Shimano Deore m610 10-speed rear mech?

Post by Telecaster68 »

... because I'm confused.

I had to replace the factory derailleur on my Btwin Riverside 500 because the cage got bent, and 'my' bike tech said anything which could cope with 9+ gears at the back would be fine, so I bought one of these from Wiggle and fitted it:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-deore- ... 5360634017

However, I couldn't get it set up remotely properly and so got him on the job, and it turns out the Btwin gear shift doesn't pull enough cable through to work with the Shimano mech, so I need to get a compatible (preferably Shimano) gear shift. I'm once bitten twice shy now, and it's really not clear from the website what'll work with what, so I thought I'd ask people who actually know what they're talking about. Wiggle apparently have no way to ask them stuff like this...
Brucey

Re: Which gear lever will work with a Shimano Deore m610 10-speed rear mech?

Post by Brucey »

er, that is a shimano 10s MTB mech. Won't work in a (shimano) 9s system.

Perhaps you misunderstood what your tech was saying, or maybe he got it wrong but that RD won't work with a shimano 9s shifter. [most (not all) shimano road 10s mechs will work in a shimano 9s system, but MTB 10s ones definitely won't]

BTW BTwin don't make shifters, really you need to identify that shifter. Odds on it is a shimano-compatible 9s shifter but if you are buying parts to match it you need to be sure.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Telecaster68

Post by Telecaster68 »

Even more confused now...

The gearset is Decathlon 9-ring, factory. The current shifter, according to Decathlon's spec, is a BTWIN SL569 shifter (here: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-hybrid- ... 50466.html). If they don't make their own, presumably they've rebadged someone else's, so how do I find out whose?

I understood my tech to say a 10-speed derailleur would replace the Decathlon factory one because what's needed is sufficient range of movement, and the shift would supply the necessary number of 'clicks' across that gear. But that applies to road bikes but not hybrids?

Is the bottom line here that I need derailleur and gearset to match, so get a specifically 9-speed derailleur or alternatively get a 10 ring gearset?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Index gear systems work by the cable pull at the shifter producing a specific lateral movement at the RD. For a given RD to work on your bike it has many aspects that must match including

- it has to physically mount on your bike
-it should have enough capacity for the sprockets /chainrings you are using
- it should have the correct shift ratio to match the rest of your system

on the last point shift ratios vary from one system to another (so road 10s is not the same as MTB 10s in shimano). If you want to see what kind of trouble this causes when you want to mix and match parts from different manufacturers;

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/Maintenance_and_Repair/Gear-changing_Dimensions

A 10s MTB mech is unlikely to work in a 9s system (in fact you have proved it doesn't) meaning that the shift ratio is different.

Some possible solutions;

1) get the same RD as was originally fitted from decathlon.
2) find another one that has the same shift ratio (*)
3) buy a new shifter and RD for your 9s system
4) use friction shifting instead (no clicks in the shifter) eg a simple thumbshifter
5) convert to 10s which will need a load of expensive new parts (the net cost will be about half the price of a new bike of the sort you have).

(*) Decathlon use a lot of Microshift parts (so BTWIN ones may be microshift rebranded) and microshift parts (and other no-name ones) tend to use shimano -type shift ratios. Shimano 9s uses about 2.5mm per click. If you can measure the shifter cable pull accurately then you may find that it matches shimano 9s in which case you can use a shimano 9s RD. But the measurement needs to accurate; 2.4mm or 2.6mm per click and it won't work.

cheers
Telecaster68

Post by Telecaster68 »

So, based on no 2, if I understand you correctly, getting a Shimano 9 shifter should work, and that's what I planned to do. But looking at the options on Wiggle, it seems to me specific shifters don't work with all their derailleurs, so I was after any advice on which work with which...
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

On the "its probably microshift" theory does the current rear mech look anything like this?
Microshift 8/9 speed rear mech
Microshift 8/9 speed rear mech

Given its a Decathlon bike I would personally take it into a decathlon store...they usually have bike maintenance guys there..do you have a store locally?
Telecaster68

Post by Telecaster68 »

Thanks.

I have one close if you're in a car but a long way on a bike with knackered gears. It just seemed like I could upgrade my gears without the hassle of going out there, but maybe not...

Is that the Microshift website? That's the factory 'Decathlon' derailleur in the screenshot, so maybe the answer is simply to buy a replacement, for the sake of £14.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Telecaster68 wrote:So, based on no 2, if I understand you correctly, getting a Shimano 9 shifter should work,

no! Wrong shift ratio in 10s mech! Shift ratio is different between shimano 9s and shimano MTB 10s!

The BTWIN branded RD does look like the Microshift one so that is the easiest solution.

cheers
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

Brucey wrote:er, that is a shimano 10s MTB mech. Won't work in a (shimano) 9s system.

Perhaps you misunderstood what your tech was saying, or maybe he got it wrong but that RD won't work with a shimano 9s shifter. [most (not all) shimano road 10s mechs will work in a shimano 9s system, but MTB 10s ones definitely won't]

BTW BTwin don't make shifters, really you need to identify that shifter. Odds on it is a shimano-compatible 9s shifter but if you are buying parts to match it you need to be sure.

cheers

On a triban 500 most likely Shimano Sora.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Telecaster68 wrote:Thanks.

I have one close if you're in a car but a long way on a bike with knackered gears. It just seemed like I could upgrade my gears without the hassle of going out there, but maybe not...

Is that the Microshift website? That's the factory 'Decathlon' derailleur in the screenshot, so maybe the answer is simply to buy a replacement, for the sake of £14.

The £14 price was from a german website BikeInn .. so you would have to add postage
https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/microshift ... 37563000/p

Decathlon might have a stash of them in the back room though ... worth asking..?
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Just to confirm Telecaster...does your broken mech look like this? Does it have "mega 36" on it? (If so we probably have a match since the micro shift one above, although branded differently, has a max cog of 36 ..hence the "mega 36")
Attachments
Screenshot_20200711-083448_Firefox.jpg