Cicerone Route - my updated Video

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
heathfield55

Cicerone Route - my updated Video

Post by heathfield55 »

Hi,

Some of you may have seen the video of my trip before but I have now updated it with some new footage. It's my account as 63 year old of the struggle to complete my Le Jog in 14 days in July 2018. Hope it's of interest to potential Newbie Joggers and brings back memories for those that have already done it. https://youtu.be/WnRxMo7g2e8
denniswpearce

Re: Cicerone Route - my updated Video

Post by denniswpearce »

Thanks for posting and I enjoyed watching it. Brought back memories of my attempt.
Some really nice footage with your comments.
My attempt failed because of kidney stones near Fort William.
Well worth the watch
Thanks
heathfield55

Post by heathfield55 »

denniswpearce wrote:Thanks for posting and I enjoyed watching it. Brought back memories of my attempt.
Well worth the watch
Thanks

Thank you. Hope you recovered in the fullness of time and did you have another shot at Le Jog Dennis ?
denniswpearce

Post by denniswpearce »

heathfield55 wrote:
denniswpearce wrote:Thanks for posting and I enjoyed watching it. Brought back memories of my attempt.
Well worth the watch
Thanks

Thank you. Hope you recovered in the fullness of time and did you have another shot at Le Jog Dennis ?

I recovered from the stones but I suffer from pain in my sit bones when I ride anything over thirty miles, so the ride was painful every day. Never cured it despite many bits of helpful advice on here which I have tried. I just love riding but put up with the pain.
I would like to try it again but not really viable.
Take care
heathfield55

Post by heathfield55 »

denniswpearce wrote:
heathfield55 wrote:
Well worth the watch
Thanks

I recovered from the stones but I suffer from pain in my sit bones when I ride anything over thirty miles, so the ride was painful every day. Never cured it despite many bits of helpful advice on here which I have tried. I just love riding but put up with the pain.
I would like to try it again but not really viable.
Take care

Oh very sorry to hear that. At least you gave the challenge your very best shot. I now do less than 30 mile rides as the old legs are giving me problems these days. Nevertheless being on two wheels for just 5 miles is great medicine for the body and soul. Wishing you happy cycling !!
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

Loved this. I did Cicerone in September 2018 and lost all photos/records in a ditch about 10 miles from Bettyhill...long story! So really nice to see a record of it. I was 65 and found it hard at times and then realised Cicerone book was taking me to Youth Hostel territory a lot of the time and that comes with hills. Being Welsh I am used to hills but found the Runcorn to Keswick section hard and dispiriting. Despite thatI aim to do LEJoG again when I am 70 but will definitely not do the Cicerone...I also rode with a head cold on Day 4 and 5 so wasn't back to full strength when the Forest of Bowland loomed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can I ask why you did the ride LE via Looe to Moretonhampstead and then to Street?

Seems mad to me. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

Mick F - it is mad.......climb out of Looe, climb to Fowey from St Austell and several others. Think the second day to Moretonhampstead is the hardest of the whole trip.
heathfield55

Post by heathfield55 »

scarletnut wrote:Loved this. I did Cicerone in September 2018 and lost all photos/records in a ditch about 10 miles from Bettyhill...long story! So really nice to see a record of it. I was 65 and found it hard at times and then realised Cicerone book was taking me to Youth Hostel territory a lot of the time and that comes with hills. Being Welsh I am used to hills but found the Runcorn to Keswick section hard and dispiriting. Despite thatI aim to do LEJoG again when I am 70 but will definitely not do the Cicerone...I also rode with a head cold on Day 4 and 5 so wasn't back to full strength when the Forest of Bowland loomed.

Sorry only just seen your message. Yes Cicerone was very tough for me in parts and I agree that day 2 was extra tough. My toughest day was Glencoe to Inverness. I had some very anxious moments with traffic and remember saying at the time “will I come out of this alive ?’lol. I certainly would not do Cicerone again I would favour the Sustrans 3 week Route next time but not sure there will be a next time now. Glad my video helped you recapture some of the places you passed, sorry you lost all your stuff, devastating. Good luck for when you do it next time, any idea what route you will take ? Pete
heathfield55

Post by heathfield55 »

Mick F wrote:Can I ask why you did the ride LE via Looe to Moretonhampstead and then to Street?

Seems mad to me. :shock:

Mick F, Well it was the Route in the Guide Book so I just followed it (no local knowledge of routes in your neck of the woods).It was dam hard. I am thinking you know an easier route ? That does not surprise me if the case. The Route creator must have been a sadist lol. Cheers. Pete
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

heathfield55 wrote:
scarletnut wrote:Loved this. I did Cicerone in September 2018 and lost all photos/records in a ditch about 10 miles from Bettyhill...long story! So really nice to see a record of it. I was 65 and found it hard at times and then realised Cicerone book was taking me to Youth Hostel territory a lot of the time and that comes with hills. Being Welsh I am used to hills but found the Runcorn to Keswick section hard and dispiriting. Despite thatI aim to do LEJoG again when I am 70 but will definitely not do the Cicerone...I also rode with a head cold on Day 4 and 5 so wasn't back to full strength when the Forest of Bowland loomed.

Sorry only just seen your message. Yes Cicerone was very tough for me in parts and I agree that day 2 was extra tough. My toughest day was Glencoe to Inverness. I had some very anxious moments with traffic and remember saying at the time “will I come out of this alive ?’lol. I certainly would not do Cicerone again I would favour the Sustrans 3 week Route next time but not sure there will be a next time now. Glad my video helped you recapture some of the places you passed, sorry you lost all your stuff, devastating. Good luck for when you do it next time, any idea what route you will take ? Pete

Will be doing a hybrid route using MickF/Wimps out of Bristol, Cicerone to Chester and then Wirral/Lancaster/A6 to Carlisle. Fancy going east route to Edinburgh/Inverness and then back on the Cicerone to JoG. Flatter, simpler but keeping some of the best bits of the Cicerone and also seeing even more of scotland.