Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

De Sisti

Re: Gwynedd Passing Distance signs

Post by De Sisti »

Navara wrote:This will take years.The meme below was posted on a "friends" FB feed yesterday.He's a HGV driver.It's bad enough that he posts stuff like this but the fact it got 100s of "likes" and "thumbs up" shows what we're dealing with.

OK it might be done in jest but I think he genuinely hates everyone else on the road.

Your friend must have other qualities that you like in order for you to stay "connected" with them. :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

De Sisti wrote:
Navara wrote:This will take years.The meme below was posted on a "friends" FB feed yesterday.He's a HGV driver.It's bad enough that he posts stuff like this but the fact it got 100s of "likes" and "thumbs up" shows what we're dealing with.

OK it might be done in jest but I think he genuinely hates everyone else on the road.

Your friend must have other qualities that you like in order for you to stay "connected" with them. :?

Ex-friends, one earnestly hopes :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Navara

Post by Navara »

De Sisti wrote:Your friend must have other qualities that you like in order for you to stay "connected" with them. :?

I'm only really "connected" with him on Facebook.I haven't actually seen him in 25+ years!(The same as lot of my "friends" on FB).
Cyril Haearn wrote:Ex-friends, one earnestly hopes :?

See above!

A few of our mutual friends do see him as they go Fishing together.The next time they all meet for a drink I might join them.I have wondered if he is the same in person as he is on Facebook!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Plenty of road signs featuring imperial and metric, have a look at the next low bridge or width restriction you see. TSRGD was changed updated last year, I think, maybe it was two yeas ago, so that metric and imperial can by placed on one sign rather than requiring two separate signs.

In general, TSRGD requires imperial units and only allows yards and miles for distance:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016 ... art/3/made

This is overridden for some signs, including height and width restrictions, and yes, it allows them on the same sign now, with the more widespread metric in brackets (thank you David Cameron and your petty little Englander point-scoring(!)).

The blue rectangle is not a sign where is overridden, so one could argue that the distance should be given in yards, to the nearest 10 yards (thank you David Cameron and your petty outlawing of Norfolk traditions(!)), which would mean it should read "0 yds".

Fortunately, any art is allowed on a blue rectangle information sign, so one can also argue that 1.5m is part of an artwork and, ultimately, the sign is only information and not required to outlaw careless driving.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

"In short a moronic and despotic richardhead then"
but surely this is also as bad?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

mjr wrote:In general, TSRGD requires imperial units and only allows yards and miles for distance:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016 ... art/3/made

This is overridden for some signs, including height and width restrictions, and yes, it allows them on the same sign now, with the more widespread metric in brackets (thank you David Cameron and your petty little Englander point-scoring(!)).

I think that regulation is only using "distance" to mean how far away something is , rather than how wide long or high something is.

It is not overridden for some signs - No signs for dimensions (widths heights or lengths) are specified in miles or yards. Indeed I suspect the metric units are the actual regulation with the feet and inches to keep telegraph readers happy. You can't expect an Austrian truck driver to know the dimensions of their vehicle in obscure local units.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Certainly when the road and obstacle (low bridge etc) are measured, they'll be measured in metric units -- which will then be converted into imperial ones for the signs.

As this passing distance sign isn't part of TSRGD they can presumably put whatever they want on it.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

I think these signs are an interesting idea. It will be interesting to see if they have any effect.
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

Not the first, saw some by Cumbria Police in 2018, and there also some in Pembrokeshire BUT I think the Gwynedd ones are the first agreed and "prescribed" signs in the UK which could be easily rolled out. Here in Wales the GoSafe partnership is now looking to do this but corrugated plastic signs are cheaper and can be larger, giving more impact (like ones in mid Wales warning motorcyclists to slow down).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

So are they a prescribed sign?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

scarletnut wrote:Not the first, saw some by Cumbria Police in 2018, and there also some in Pembrokeshire BUT I think the Gwynedd ones are the first agreed and "prescribed" signs in the UK which could be easily rolled out. Here in Wales the GoSafe partnership is now looking to do this but corrugated plastic signs are cheaper and can be larger, giving more impact (like ones in mid Wales warning motorcyclists to slow down).

My bold.
And easily torn down by the anti cyclist brigade.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
scarletnut

Post by scarletnut »

Yes, done and erected by the Highway Authority.
Plastic signs are vulnerable to the vandals using secateurs etc but so are permanent signs to paint daubers. You ahve to egt the message out there repeatedly to get a culture change and every little bit helps!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

scarletnut wrote:Yes, done and erected by the Highway Authority.
Plastic signs are vulnerable to the vandals using secateurs etc but so are permanent signs to paint daubers. You ahve to egt the message out there repeatedly to get a culture change and every little bit helps!!

I agree,what I've witness with the plastic signs affixed to lamposts etc with zipties(those that survive) tend to slip down the pole,I've seen them at ground level overgrown with grass or potentially in the way of pedestrians.
Whereas the perminently fixed alu ones remain out of reach of the casual idiot above head height,of course a ladder and a can spray paint can overcome hurdle but anyone is caught could be charged with "going equipped" :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cyclingfrogs

Post by cyclingfrogs »

Car drivers in the UK need to have everything explained to them as they can't think for themselves. Telling them to give cyclists more space as they pass them will risk more head-on collisions because many drivers will cross the centre line to pass a cyclist even on a blind bend. Drivers will only slow for a few seconds before becoming impatient and passing a cyclist, whether it's safe or not.