The Worst Bike Shop Review Ever

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
severs1966

ure for brinelled headsets exhibiting "self centering" effect --- Re: The Worst Bike Shop Review Ever

Post by severs1966 »

Graham wrote:After a terrifying high-speed wobble, down a long, steep hill I determined that headset was a likely major factor.
H/S races heavily brinneled with Bars-straight-ahead-position sitting between equilibrium points on either side...

...If anyone is just at the start of such a problem, before the races get very battered, a short-term fix exists:

Pop the three races that aren't screwed in (crown race, head tube bottom and top race out and put them back in, each rotated by a different amount but none of them by 180 degrees. Say, 30, 40 and 50 degrees. The screw-on one will end up in the same orientation as it started.

This means that the brinneling in each race is angle-offset from all the others or "out of phase", which significantly reduces the "straight ahead self-centering" effect.

This does require headset installation tools, and if you have to go to the LBS, the labour might be so much that you might as well buy a new one. But if you can somehow get it done cheap, or free (I used to be a member of a club with a workshop with workshop tools, maybe you can find such a club) then it can be a solution lasting a fair while and is useful for those of us either short of cash or crying about the expensive but dying headset (I did this on a Campag Record one in the late '90s)
landsurfer

Re: The Worst Bike Shop Review Ever

Post by landsurfer »

Charlie Alexander's in Cardiff .....

He had every cycle part known to man ... built wheels at the counter ..... snarled at all those who dared enter his premises.
Treated all equally .... badly ....

It was a terrible loss when he closed .........
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rjb

Post by rjb »

simonineaston wrote:I remember being slightly intimdated by the guy behind the counter at a cycle shop in Kilburn, name and exact location (I think it was on the north side of Willesden Lane, just up from the junction with Kilburn High Road and was a Campagnolo dealer) hazy in the mists of time. He appeared pained when fools like me asked vaguely for a product and didn't know exactly what they were talking about. Now, having worked in what's known these days a customer-facing role for 2 decades, I can't say I blame him.

That would most likely be J D Whiskers. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61807&hilit=shop+kilburn
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

I used to frequent a bike shop in Southampton that was steeped in cycling folklore, ancient fittings, bare floorboards and frames hanging from the ceiling. In the early years the chap that ran it was very polite, approachable and a real gent and craftsman. Later on someone else took over as patron and he gave the impression you were not welcome or that he’d rather be in the back room tinkering. Not surprisingly the shop shut and, sure enough, this chap continued in the bike trade but working from home.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That would most likely be J D Whiskers.
That's them! I bought a Chorus groupset from them, 1 piece at a time, across about 18 months, in the late '80s, built up what would now be called a hybrid as it canti brakes, took it with me when I moved to Bristol & promptly had it nicked after I foolishly left it in the court-yard back of Colston Street. Shame - nice bike...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
freiston

Post by freiston »

I went into an LBS a few years ago and enquired about the Modolo Granfondo handlebar because I was interested in the shape, to be told that "Granfondo doesn't mean anything in relation to handlebars and that any manufacturer can call any component Granfondo".
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

My favourite bit of customer service ever (not bike-related):
Years ago I went into a local hardware shop that was known for having absolutely everything, and asked if they could do me an M12 machine screw with a left-hand thread. The reply? "No sir, but we can make you one."
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ll never forget my first visit to George Pennel, a Legend, in Peebles some 30 yrs ago now.
The conversation went like this ...
P "George have you got"
G "Stop there son"
G "When you’re in George’s shop you say, George where do you keep"
A great bike shop and an 80 ml ride to get there. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I went into my LBS years ago and asked the youth in charge if they had a Continental Gatorskin tyre, a very simple and reasonable request I thought. The youth smirked, turned to his girlfriend, who was keeping him company on a slow day, and they both burst out laughing. I turned tail. That branch closed down soon after.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

rotavator wrote:I went into my LBS years ago and asked the youth in charge if they had a Continental Gatorskin tyre, a very simple and reasonable request I thought. The youth smirked, turned to his girlfriend, who was keeping him company on a slow day, and they both burst out laughing.

You shouldn't have said you wanted a Dolby with it.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

rjb wrote:
simonineaston wrote:I remember being slightly intimdated by the guy behind the counter at a cycle shop in Kilburn, name and exact location (I think it was on the north side of Willesden Lane, just up from the junction with Kilburn High Road and was a Campagnolo dealer) hazy in the mists of time. He appeared pained when fools like me asked vaguely for a product and didn't know exactly what they were talking about. Now, having worked in what's known these days a customer-facing role for 2 decades, I can't say I blame him.

That would most likely be J D Whiskers. :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61807&hilit=shop+kilburn

You beat me to it: that’s the shop.

Never visited their more recent shop but bought a pair of Chorus 36 hole hubs off them in about 2016 - brilliant service. They casually said that they would make more money by splitting the hubs but couldn’t be bothered!
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

When I were a lad I used to go to a tiny LBS in Somercotes, Derbyshire. The owner often didn't have the specific thing I wanted but 'I can get it in for Tuesday', so I'd agree, return on Tuesday, and he'd have nearly what you'd ordered but not quite. You want a 39t 135BCD Campagnolo chainring, you'd get a 41. You want a black San Marco Regal saddle, you'd get a white one. You want a Super U jersey, you'd get a Kelme one. And I'd usually end up buying the thing, because 'well I've got it for you now', and there was no internet.

He had a thermometer by the door and was obsessed by the temperature. If you went in wearing shorts and the temperature was below 58 degrees F, he'd announce 'too cold for shorts young man!' If you went in wearing longs and it was over 58F, it would be 'you want to get your shorts on youth!' It made spring and autumn very tricky.

But he also had drawers and drawers full of old bits, and you could easily waste an hour in there discussing Steve Douce's chances in the cyclo-cross nationals, so I miss it still.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
GOHughes

Post by GOHughes »

Does anyone remember Fox's bike shop in Penny Lane in Liverpool? I'm talking about the mid-1960s here. It wasn't a bad shop , just that the owners were quite eccentric. The shop, which was quite large, looked as if it hadn't been updated since the 1920s. When he was in Mr Fox was interminably working on an old Austin Healy inside the shop, which I never saw move. When he wasn't in Mrs Fox, who actually looked like Mrs Fox from Dad's Army, would look after the shop. She was always very pleasant but knew absolutely nothing and couldn't answer the simplest question. She often asked me to go on errands for odd items of groceries while waiting for Mr Fox to return. I was a boy at the time and used my bike for my three paper rounds and often needed basic spares and repairs. My two older brothers both had racing bikes, one a Harry Quinn and the other a Jim Soens. Neither of them would have dreamt of going to Fox's though I always found them very pleasant if eccentric.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Sounds like the LBS in west Yorkshire.

All owned by grumpy owners.

Lambert's in Bingley is my go to shop, changed hands a while back and haven't been in since CV lockdown.

Freind says he has a new own branded steel bike which I like the sound of! anyone got anymore details?

Cheers James
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

is lamberts still going in Bingley ?

I remember Elis briggs when they were a proper bike shop and also had a toy shop behind Shipley Market Clock tower.

I also recall Mapplebeck and Whittaker ( Pennine Cycles ) on the corner of Ingelby road and Thornton Road Bradford.

and also Les Swaine - traded as Idle Cycles ( yes ---- Idle Cycles ). :)

Memories of being ''dragged up '' in Bradford :)