Halfords - threatened store closures

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Halfords - threatened store closures

Post by Mick F »

I bought an Imperial AF set of spanners from Halfords in Wigan in the mid/late 1960's and I still have them as a complete set. Five in the set?
Must get them out and check them out, and then photograph them for prosperity.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

from Halfords in Wigan in the mid/late 1960's
There you go - we knew they made tools that last! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Wel, The King Dick Spanners that I have pre-date MickF by some way, still in first class order. Many pre WW2! It would be a wrench to part with them :lol: :lol: :lol: . Buy cheap, Buy often. MM
PH

Post by PH »

Within a twenty minute bike ride I have two huge Halfords on retail parks, a near town Halfords garage/workshop and until a few weeks ago a town centre Cycle Republic. If I extend that bike ride to there and back in an afternoon, there's at least another three.
I use Halfords quite a lot, for basic components that could be obtained anywhere, I'll usually order online, collect in store and with the price match and CUK discount they're good value and convenient. The couple of times I've returned something and the one time I've had a warranty issue, they've been resolved efficiently (Unlike my my experience with some LBS)
I'd miss them a bit if they disappeared, though that doesn't seem likely, I'm not bothered if one or two out of those I can easily get to closed down. I've never seen the point of so many duplicate stores.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

so many duplicate stores
hmmm - classic business model gotcha - over-enthusiastic expansion... solution: trim back the outlets with lowest turnover, I guess
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

PH wrote:I use Halfords quite a lot, for basic components that could be obtained anywhere, I'll usually order online, collect in store and with the price match and CUK discount they're good value and convenient. s.

+ 1. I've found it a fantastic way to avoid that £4.99 delivery charge, on a £0.99 part!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I don't know if this applies to Halfords but the business pattern today seems to be not about building durable businesses able to survive inevitable peaks and troughs, but making a quick buck for the ultimate owners, who may have no clue about the actual business.

Look how many firms paid multimillion or even billion pound dividends before lockdown to then be unable to afford to keep on their staff once furlough ended.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm still trying to fathom how Halfords can charge £39.99 for a pair of Bosch wiper blades for my Smax when I was able to get the exact same pair delivered within 3days for £24.99 from an online motor factors.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Could you not have just changed the rubbers?
I bought rubbers by the metre some years ago from eBay. Recently replaced the rubbers front and rear on our Yaris and that's the last of them. Done two cars before - Clio and Fiat500.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... r&_sacat=0
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:Could you not have just changed the rubbers?
I bought rubbers by the metre some years ago from eBay. Recently replaced the rubbers front and rear on our Yaris and that's the last of them. Done two cars before - Clio and Fiat500.

I can't change rubbers on my Golf. Damaged one in a hard frost last winter and had to replace the whole thing. Needed a VW part, too, although it wasn't as expensive as reohn2's Ford.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 14 Jul 2020, 9:40am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I bought an Imperial AF set of spanners from Halfords in Wigan in the mid/late 1960's and I still have them as a complete set. Five in the set?

Here's the full set.
Bought them originally for my bike, but I didn't realise that none of them would fit!

Done good work on the cars over the years ...................... until we were metricated.

IMG_0568.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Could you not have just changed the rubbers?

No,the Bosch ones fitted are the integral blade and arm type.

EDIT:- that is not that I'm aware of.
I've kept the old ones in the boot incase some thief decides to half inch the new ones,I'll check them later and report back.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oh dear.
Poor design methinks. Costs a fortune every year or so ........... but no doubt Ford don't care.

If it were me, I'd be looking to change them to a replaceable sort.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:I bought an Imperial AF set of spanners from Halfords in Wigan in the mid/late 1960's and I still have them as a complete set. Five in the set?

Here's the full set.
Bought them originally for my bike, but I didn't realise that none of them would fit!

Done good work on the cars over the years ...................... until we were metricated.

IMG_0568.jpg

By the looks of them they were made by Elora. A decent tool brand just as good as Snap Off but about a third of the price and don't break as easily.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I go to Halfords for their cheap motor cycle engine gear box oil. Other stuff is too fancy for my olde bike