Full suspension e-bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Garry Booth

Full suspension e-bike

Post by Garry Booth »

I know that there are full suspension (ie front and rear) mtb type e-bikes, but does anyone make a full suspension women specific e-bike for the road? The reason is that the person in mind has a fragile back. Thanks.
al_yrpal

Re: Full suspension e-bike

Post by al_yrpal »

Dont know of any but you could fit a Thud Buster seatpost.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
stodd

Post by stodd »

Interesting problem. Full suspension road bike seems pretty rare, without the woman specific and e-bike qualifications.

As al_yrpal says a suspension seatpost might help a lot. The Suntour NCX is pretty good at a lot less than half the price of the Thud Buster; I don't know how they compare though.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Thanks for the comments re seat posts: I hadn't thought of that. Could be the way forward as it leaves the field open for choosing a bike.
stodd

Post by stodd »

Some find sprung saddle effective as well as (or instead of) sprung seatpost. It seems (internet search not personal experience) that sprung saddle works better on high frequency 'roughness', and sprung seatpost on lower frequency bumps/potholes.

And fatter tyres, though that can remove some advantages of the road bike. Maybe a gravel bike would be a compromise there (as in reviews in last CTC mag). Depending on back problem details even a (semi-)recumbent?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Garry Booth wrote:I know that there are full suspension (ie front and rear) mtb type e-bikes, but does anyone make a full suspension women specific e-bike for the road? The reason is that the person in mind has a fragile back. Thanks.

Reiss & Muller have onenin their catalogue but sit down before you look at the price,that said they're top quality machines.

OTOH as Al says a Cane Creek Thudbuster is a good alternative,I have the LT(Long Travel)version fitted on my MTB and it's great for taking the sting out of big hits when trail riding:- https://canecreek.com/product/thudbuster-lt/

BTW cheap suspension bikes aren't good at all,lacking effective spring damping adjustment to be of any real benefit
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Thanks a lot for the input.
bob simpson

Post by bob simpson »

Reise and Muller do the Culture which is a full suspension bike which would cover the needs. It's very expensive but not more so than so than a full suspension MTB.
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

You may be sorted already but have a look at these.

https://www.arccbikes.com/pages/moulton-with-e2-pod

Expensive but the base bike is to start with.
We have one and my wife enjoys riding it. A quality conversion that works well.

If you were able to locate a second hand bike, the additional cost of a conversion, either Arcc or possibly another brand, would probably be cheaper than a new, converted one. Ours was retro converted by the previous owner.

The Moulton rides pretty much like a conventional bike but with road tailored suspension.
dezzie

Post by dezzie »

Look at rad bikes, can get step thru,folding and fat bikes for under £1700 all got room for potential upgrades, lots of facebook groups on them and youtube reviews all pretty favourable.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Silly question, but, how exactly do ‘women specific’ bikes differ?
We’ve got a pair of Scott Axis eride mtbs, small and large! no geometric difference otherwise, that I can see. We both find them fantastic to ride, so, not sure what you would actually look for to differentiate?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity