Faulty Bosch 500 wh frame lock

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Mallaigboy

Faulty Bosch 500 wh frame lock

Post by Mallaigboy »

Hi. Thanks for the add. I have a brand new Cube Compact Hybrid Sport 2020 which is fitted with a Bosch 500 wh frame battery. It is locked on the bike and neither of the supplied keys opens the lock. Bikester in Germany were the dealer and are blanking all requests for assistance. Is there a cheap fix for this here in the UK ? I'm based in West of Scotland. Bikester are getting a lot of dodgy reviews on Trustpilot and I really don't want to have to send the bike back to Germany as it took a month to arrive. Any advice would be very welcome.
Jdsk

Re: Faulty Bosch 500 wh frame lock

Post by Jdsk »

Could you add photos of the lock and the battery assembly?

Jonathan
Mallaigboy

Post by Mallaigboy »

Battery is locked on the bike so I can't provide photo of mechanism. It is an Abus brand lock and I have original supplied keys.
Last edited by Mallaigboy on 14 Jul 2020, 9:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If I couldn't pick it I'd ask a local locksmith.

Jonathan
Mallaigboy

Post by Mallaigboy »

Thanks Jonathan

I think it should be possible for a locksmith to drill out the
Lock core but I would prefer if it was someone who was competent to bike specific locks
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don''t know what sort of lock it is. But I'd expect a locksmith to be able to pick it nondestructively.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

I'd send it back, if it's new I'd do so for a refund and buy elsewhere. If you bought it on a credit card and the retailer isn't co-operative get them involved.
There's a lot to potentially go wrong on an electric bike and many of the components are likely to be proprietary. If you're having problems now, you'll have no chance if you need assistance months down the line.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have picked locks as a hobby. I would ask a good locksmith to have a look. The Bosch keys are double sided. Simple enough to pick, dont know about replacement

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

You should also have received a code card for the lock in case you lose the keys. Contact Abus and see if the key matches the serial number on the bike.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Mallaigboy

Post by Mallaigboy »

To all who kindly replied, I'm going to consult a locksmith and see how it goes. I am reluctant to return the bike to Bikester. Trustpilot reviews are awful at the moment with people waiting in excess of a month for refunds. I'm also going to speak to my credit card issuer. My feeling is that I'm unwilling to part with the bike till I receive refund as I feel the company can't be trusted. They sent me a bike with the rear wheel inserted in the drop outs at a crazy angle. The battery issue is as described and there was a slight paint defect on the front forks. All should have been discovered during a pre delivery inspection. It clearly wasn't carried out.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hello Mallaigboy

I am sorry you are in this situation. I too have a bosch on my bike and the lock is Abus. I have just had a look and I have a plastic tab attached with a numeric code and bar code so I can get a replacement if necessary.
You have forked out a lot of money for this bike and it should be perfect when you received it. It clearly isn't and surely you should seriously think about returning it? I appreciate your dilemma but you might invalidate the warrantee with a locksmith attempting to solve your problem.

I know that the reviews of Bikeseter are not too brilliant. I did look at them initially but then didn't fancy it in case of return. Sorry to sound negative but maybe speaking to the credit card people will be a good start. Have you tried another Cube dealer. I appreciate they didn't sell you the bike but they might be willing to help if they can with a suggestion if nothing else.
I do hope you get a resolution on this.