pumps, a list of the good uns based on your findings.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
The utility cyclist

pumps, a list of the good uns based on your findings.

Post by The utility cyclist »

I got a ridiculously large shard of glass in the tyre the other day, it got me thinking to reviews on some cycling forums regards various pumps tested, some require onward of 200 'pumps' to get to the target goal, the Blackburn Core Slim Mini-Pump https://road.cc/content/review/blackbur ... ump-273499 got an 8/10 rating by Road CC reviewer Dave Atkinson despite needing 250 strokes to get 65psi in a 28mm tyre (and an insane 400 strokes to get to 85psi! :shock: he merely stated that it "takes a while" regards getting air in :roll:

Another road CC reviewer stated regards the Topeak Pocket rocket when needing 150 strokes to get 70psi in a 28mm tyre "performs brilliantly":

So, my Specialized Airtool MTB put precisely 52psi into a 32mm Jack Brown 'green' with 89 strokes - I used my Schwalbe digi gauge when I got home.

The number is a bit random but I'd just spent 2 hours taking down and moving electric fencing for an equine so couldn't be bothered to do more and tyre seemed okayish to get me the 4 miles home.
I've had the Airtool quite some years and bought another because of how impressed I was with it, despite its size I do keep it in my back pocket when on the carbon bike though it does have a tight fitting clamp such that it never looks remotely like falling out and no rattles either, I've removed the clamp however because it disrupts the airflow off the 50mm carbon tubs :lol: 8)

32mm tyre - actual 32.5mm on 14mm Open pro
89 Strokes
52psi
Length 310mm
Weight 137g
Additionally I've just repeated test on the front tyre
28mm Giant PSL2 - actual measured 28.5mm Open Pro
89 strokes
60 psi

I came into a Leyzne Micro Floor Pump in late 2018, I'd possibly only take it whilst touring but generally don't use it, I've just done the same tyre with same number of strokes. I found it a little more difficult to inflate as I'm not used to the 'knob' handle and I find that whilst the screw on chuck is great for stability at the valve you lose a bit more air than the Specialized removing it from such. That said it was roughly the same in terms of achieved pressure/stroke but with a fair bit more actual bulk and weight, I'd never put it in a rear jersey pocket and don't think you could sensibly as there's a likely chance it would fall out never mind feel awful.

32mm tyre
89 strokes
53.4psi
Length 310mm
Weight 197g

So, would others like to put forward their pumps of whatever size and give some info/reason why they like it, some indication as to size/weight and strokes to get x tyre to x pressure would be great then we can at least have a resource for people to check through when deciding to make a purchase for a particular type micro/mini, mid, medium frame, full length frame etc.
simonineaston

Re: pumps, a list of the good uns based on your findings.

Post by simonineaston »

I used to so like a pump I had, which was great! It worked really well and could take my 406 tyres up to my preferred 60psi easy... I forget wot it was called but it was readily identified by the cheesy plastic-covered clip at one end and a teeny-weeny hole, into which you poked a flimsy plastic quill, at one end of a tube and at the other, another bit of cheesy plastic which you shoved onto a Presta valve or else used a screw-on brass Shrader adapter. The idea was you clipped it onto the frame of your bike and thus fixed it, so you could give it a proper shove, like some sort of wacky, DIY track pump... and it worked! Yowsa!! Did I mention I can't remember wot it was called?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

This one :- https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-mp-mfdr-v204hv
It works incredibly well,extremely well made and is surprisingly light.
Cracking bit of kit.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's what I carry, except mine's an HP and with a built-in gauge. Agreed. Excellent.

And a Joe Blow track pump in the workshop. Does what it says on the packet.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 14 Jul 2020, 10:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Zefal HPX http://www.zefal.com/en/traditional-pumps/32-hpx.html Best frame pump I've ever used. I could not recommend any mini pumps, unfortunately. I have a Blackburn Airstik Anyvalve mini pump which I just about tolerate. I have a Joe Blow track pump for home use which is excellent. I have an Airshot tank for inflating tubeless tyres (home use only).
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

simonineaston wrote:I used to so like a pump I had, which was great! It worked really well and could take my 406 tyres up to my preferred 60psi easy... I forget wot it was called but it was readily identified by the cheesy plastic-covered clip at one end and a teeny-weeny hole, into which you poked a flimsy plastic quill, at one end of a tube and at the other, another bit of cheesy plastic which you shoved onto a Presta valve or else used a screw-on brass Shrader adapter. The idea was you clipped it onto the frame of your bike and thus fixed it, so you could give it a proper shove, like some sort of wacky, DIY track pump... and it worked! Yowsa!! Did I mention I can't remember wot it was called?

Pneu matic? As recommended by CJ in the then CTC mag in the 80s? I've got one on my F.W.Evans and it's still working. I had pump pegs brazed on for the pump to fit along the LH seat stay when I ordered the frame.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I've found this 'Pump up the volume' extending pump from PX to be good - especially as I got mine for £2.50. Most of us are probably aware of PX yo-yo prices which seem to go up and down daily :lol:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOPUTVM ... -mini-pump

I've only 'tested' it in the garage, and didn't count strokes, but can vouch it's a lower number than my previous MTB mini pump.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

That's it! Pneu, as in New, I guess... trouble with it was there wasn't a regular-sized frame-tube on a TSR - or as I had then, an APB, so the clip never really worked as intended. Still, it did stirling work for about ten years. Waaay better than a common-or-garden frame-fit jobbie.
Now I have an SKS Rennkompressor at home, a cheap, plastic track pump (from Halfords) in the car and a Topeak Morph mini track pump for the road...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:That's what I carry, except mine's an HP and with a built-in gauge. Agreed. Excellent.

And a Joe Blow track pump in the workshop. Does what it says on the packet.

Jonathan

+1 for the Joe Blow too :)
W H Auden
millimole

Post by millimole »

fausto99 wrote:
simonineaston wrote:I used to so like a pump I had, which was great! It worked really well and could take my 406 tyres up to my preferred 60psi easy... I forget wot it was called but it was readily identified by the cheesy plastic-covered clip at one end and a teeny-weeny hole, into which you poked a flimsy plastic quill, at one end of a tube and at the other, another bit of cheesy plastic which you shoved onto a Presta valve or else used a screw-on brass Shrader adapter. The idea was you clipped it onto the frame of your bike and thus fixed it, so you could give it a proper shove, like some sort of wacky, DIY track pump... and it worked! Yowsa!! Did I mention I can't remember wot it was called?

Pneu matic? As recommended by CJ in the then CTC mag in the 80s? I've got one on my F.W.Evans and it's still working. I had pump pegs brazed on for the pump to fit along the LH seat stay when I ordered the frame.
Pneuforce I think was the brand name. I bought a couple just after they went out of business from the maker. I've got one on each two of my bikes, and my son has the other. They are bloomin' wonderful for presta valved tyres.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The utility cyclist wrote:I came into a Leyzne Micro Floor Pump .................. and I find that whilst the screw on chuck is great for stability at the valve you lose a bit more air than the Specialized removing it from such.
I have one and use it occasionally and/or if I'm off on the bike for a few days. Mine dates back ten years I think.

The Airbleed chuck is superb, and I have a Lezyne track pump with one too.
The removal is secure and you loose no air whatsoever.

The "bleed" part of the name is to do with the little button that releases the pressure from the hose without releasing any pressure from the tyre. The chuck then is easy to unscrew.

However .......... if you reverse the chuck so it's for Schrader ............. the Airbleed isn't very good at all, so you could well loose pressure.
Why some bicycles have Schrader valves, I don't really know. If I had the misfortune to have a bike with them, I'd throw away the tubes and fit a pair of Presta tubes instead.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Pneuforce I think was the brand name.
Tha's the one! One of life's little Good Ideas, like Buffalo mountain shirts.
S
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote:.......... a Topeak Morph mini track pump for the road...

I have two of those,one is on my Vaya(700x37s),which is OK but Lezyne HV(used on 2inch and 2.4inch tyres) knocks spots of it for large section tyres,the Lezyne's build quality,practicality really is top class too,and it's lighter thannthe Topeak!

That said I'm thinking you won't need much work with the Topeak on 406 x 30mm(?) tyres
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:....The Airbleed chuck is superb, and I have a Lezyne track pump with one too.
The removal is secure and you loose no air whatsoever.

The "bleed" part of the name is to do with the little button that releases the pressure from the hose without releasing any pressure from the tyre. The chuck then is easy to unscrew......

Yep that's best the way to unscrew the chuck.
I don't have any bikes with Schrader valves :wink:
W H Auden