Charity Cycle Challenge

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lukehogben247

Charity Cycle Challenge

Post by lukehogben247 »

Hi All,

New member here after a bit of advice if possible?

My mother-in-law has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer; while I can be there for support and carrying out daily tasks for my wife and her mum I want to do something further. Hence I thought I'd attempt a cycling challenge as a bit of a money raiser for a breast cancer charity.

The only thing now is; what to do?

I want to be able to get this done before the mother-in-law goes in for her first op/treatment which is at the end of July; therefore my initial thought was to try 150 miles in 15 hours.

In your experience would this be possible? And/or do you guys have any other ideas for a day/24 hour based challenge?

For info I regularly ride 25-30 mile routes a couple of times a week and am based in Broadstairs in Kent.

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks all!

Luke
tatanab

Re: Charity Cycle Challenge

Post by tatanab »

Of course it depends on you and your motivation. CTC "standard rides" used to be 100 miles in 8 hours, and some regions ran 240 miles in 24 hours. This was long before all the carbon fibre, no mudguard style of modern riding. Personally I've never ridden more than 180 miles which was in 12 hours, but I was young in those days - a lad of 18, and I'm not saying I would want to do that today.

Instead of setting a fixed distance target, how about a 24 hour (or 12 if you must) ride. I'd suggest that you might collect more sponsorship by perhaps getting sponsorship in multiples of say 20 miles rather than a single 150 miles.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Please don't take this the wrong way.
Charity rides are a spasmodic and irregular income for any chrity,if there's anything a charity needs it's a steady regular income it can count on.
I propose you take out a monthly direct debit to the charity in question for as much as you can afford.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

When we lived at our last house in Garforth, which dates it to pre-1975 a local community figure did a charity ride of 150 miles in one go although I cannot recall how many hours it took.

It was on a short circuit around the town which involved a sharp climb every lap. To make it more difficult they decided on a tandem ride and had a really ancient machine which made my ancient tandem look modern.

The driving force then, in every sense of the word was a chap built like a bull, so hardly equipped to ride a tandem uphill but he coped with the challenge. He was a keen sportsman, although his main sport was Rugby in the posh format. In those days, Garforth was still essentially a mining community with a large Wimpey estate tagged on. At the village sports day he trained a team of assorted bank clerks and salesmen into a formidable tug-o'-war team which got to the final and in the first leg humiliated a team of miners who must have had a combined weight in pure muscle twice that of their officeworker opponents. George, btw, was a civil servant. The miners only eventually won the final with a struggle and by copying his organisation of the co-ordinated pulling. The sad ending to this trip down memory lane was that George collapsed and died on a squash court when he was only forty.

So, yes, with sufficient motivation you can do it, and with sufficient training you can do it more easily than without.

Get the miles in, remember plenty to eat to avoid the "knock," keep hydrated and enjoy yourselves.

Another couple of suggestions would be to get shirts with easily read names so bystanders can shout encouragement with your names. Another plus for a circuit - which makes things like refreshment and pit stops so much easier - is if you can do it in conjunction with a fête or similar, because a regular cheer can be a huge boost and banish thoughts of packing.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Please be aware that the sceptical amongst us would want proof that the ride was completed.
More to the point, if it is something that you could be physically expected to do, say, for example,
you're fairly young and quite fit, then the cycle ride isn't above and beyond what could do.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Go for it!

I usually use Google maps as my guide for time knowing that I ride at 15mph over long distances and Google estimates 12 mph giving me enough time for regular breaks.

Perhaps you could sign some people up for some relay legs to keep you company? Socially distanced of course.

Cheers James
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

A mistake that some riders using modern technology make - in the Etape de Tour, I know very well that people have run out of time because their computer tells them they have a riding time of X which leaves plenty to get to the finish. Unfortunately the event is against the clock, i.e. time includes breaks, and so the rider finishes out of time. If I were to sponsor a 150 miles in 15 hours ride I would expect that to be clock time not riding time because I don't want to pay for a 4 hour nap mid ride. This is of course the way time trials work and distance records.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best not to try to cycle for 12 hours or more, one gets tired and may endanger others
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Well done on thinking of doing something. However.......

I am not a fan of sponsored bike rides as it implies that bike riding is difficult or unpleasant - not a message we like to hear. I also think why should people donate to someone who is doing something they enjoy.

May I suggest a different challenge. Littering appears to be the new national pastime, so why not make a litter picking challenge. People could sponsor you at £n per bag, or hour, or whatever. This way you will be doing double good and not exactly enjoying yourself. I'd be prepared to slip you a few quid for this.

What's more, the local press, etc would be more interested in covering litter picking than yet another bike ride.

Good luck.
seph

Post by seph »

Great idea! Go for it!
As for what is possible, how daft do you want to get?!
I love 24 hour or so rides (400km, 250miles)... riding all night is great fun. I ride them as Audax rides,
Google Audax UK for long distance stuff,
Or check https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=17.0 for lots of long distance info.
Then there’s the dunwich dynamo and fnrttc (Friday night ride to the coast), though I’m sure they aren’t running at the mo.

A word of warning though... long distance riding can be strangely compelling... one minute you’re considering doing a century ride, the next you’ve signed up for https://londonedinburghlondon.com/

Good luck!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I bet we never find out if the ride was completed. Just like the other bloke who wanted sponsorship for going up Prescott Hill.

I am not a fan of sponsored bike rides as it implies that bike riding is difficult or unpleasant - not a message we like to hear. I also think why should people donate to someone who is doing something they enjoy.

May I suggest a different challenge. Littering appears to be the new national pastime, so why not make a litter picking challenge? People could sponsor you at £n per bag, or hour, or whatever. This way you will be doing double good and not exactly enjoying yourself. I'd be prepared to slip you a few quid for this.

What's more, the local press, etc would be more interested in covering litter picking than yet another bike ride.

I wholeheartedly agree with the quote above.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Pick a local landmark 75 miles from home make that your target for out and bac, if you need to go a few extra miles so much the better. take a picture when you get there ..... next to a sign or some such identifier as proof.

Good luck

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

De Sisti wrote:I bet we never find out if the ride was completed. Just like the other bloke who wanted sponsorship for going up Prescott Hill.

May I suggest a different challenge. Littering appears to be the new national pastime, so why not make a litter picking challenge? People could sponsor you at £n per bag, or hour, or whatever. This way you will be doing double good and not exactly enjoying yourself. I'd be prepared to slip you a few quid for this.

I wholeheartedly agree with the quote above.

+1
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The guys probably long gone!

It may well be a challenge to him and we ought to respect that, rather than imposing our own personal opinions on him.

150miles wouldn't be much of a challenge to many of us, rather a rather pleasant use of 12hrs. But to others it is....

I'm due to run the Leeds Liverpool canal race soon and to tell me to go and pick litter instead is rather insulting, we pay taxes for council to remove litter and police to enforce antisocial behaviour so a litter pick is a bit like doing what the council ought to be doing...

Cheers James