Suspension seat post

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Garry Booth

Suspension seat post

Post by Garry Booth »

I'm looking into suspension seat posts for a friend with a fragile back who doesn't want a full suspension bike. Anyone know of a particularly good model? For context it is for a woman specific bike with riser bars.
mercalia

Re: Suspension seat post

Post by mercalia »

I understand the motivation to stop jolts, as some one who has bad lower back issues, but I find any eg seats that have any flex in them are sources of trouble, I need some thing firm to stop any movement.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

mercalia wrote:I understand the motivation to stop jolts, as some one who has bad lower back issues, but I find any eg seats that have any flex in them are sources of trouble, I need some thing firm to stop any movement.

I thought the idea of a suspension seat posts is to absorb undulations and bumps in the road, thus reducing the amount of "flex" felt by the rider.
Richard M
Cardiff
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

The Thudbuster (Cane Creek) is the best available.

Damn expensive, but Mrs Tuesday swears by it as stoker.

I got ours from bikester, who were miles cheaper than anyone else - no idea if that still holds.

You need quite substantial post showing now or you won't have sufficient height to fit one.

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

This ^^^
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Thud Buster certainly looks the job. And yes, I assume that job entails smoothing the road out - rather than gently bouncing you up and down!
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

That's the long travel (LT) Thudbuster. I have a short travel (ST) on my winter bike and it fits with much less seatpost showing.

Cost around £150 when I bought 2y ago, but they seem well made and the wearing parts are replaceable. Works well.
pwa

Post by pwa »

bgnukem wrote:That's the long travel (LT) Thudbuster. I have a short travel (ST) on my winter bike and it fits with much less seatpost showing.

Cost around £150 when I bought 2y ago, but they seem well made and the wearing parts are replaceable. Works well.

It seems to need 10cm from, presumably, top of seat post camp to saddle rails.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts/ ... -mm-black/
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Suntour do one similar in design to the Thudbuster but a lot cheaper. Have recently fitted one on the back of our tandem to replace the cheaper telescopic suspension seatpost, and my lady stoker is very pleased and reports a huge improvement.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts/ ... 2mm-black/