Advice needed

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Malice

Advice needed

Post by Malice »

Hi all,

I'm debating getting a recumbent trike as a way to get exercise and potentially commute (once we're allowed back in the office :lol: ).

My reasoning for the recumbent trike is i'm an above knee amputee (Right side) and while technically possible i could ride a 2 wheeler with the prosthetic, i'm not convinced it would be a good idea.

I love the look of the ICE trikes either the adventure or the sprint, but when playing on the configurator - wow those prices shoot up quickly!!

One idea i have is to get rear suspension (north east roads!!) and leave the front off for now and maybe have it retro fitted at a later date, does this seem reasonable?

I still need to have a go one one to make sure its right for me so i may look to take a trip down to York to getcycling to see them first hand and chat about them in general, anyone have experiences with them?

I suppose i'm also after general advice on other makes/models to look at that could be cheaper but still quality.

Cheers,
M
Last edited by Malice on 15 Jul 2020, 3:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Advice needed

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Front bounce is relatively expensive to add retrospectively (>£1000)

BUT - I've never found I needed it - I moved from a large rear wheel to 20" on all three and added rear suspension, never justified front.
I have ridden front suspension, and it is really good - but the justification is the tough bit.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Sorry - Hi ;)

And - how far is your commute - mostly in town or mostly out of town?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Malice

Post by Malice »

The commute is a relatively small one,

Approx 5 miles each way, some of it will be town/city roads but with decent section on a national cycle route.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

There's a Scorpion trike FS on this forum, will work out cheaper than the ICE by lots. Then if it works for you, you can move on to n+1 and drop a ton on the ICE trike of your dreams (and pass the other trike on for approx what you bought it for, or keep it as a backup bike because everyone needs at least two bikes).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Over 5 miles each way I'd consider the ICE range to be a luxury - I got a very old one, which then got written off and new for old insurance brought me bang up to date (with a little extra kicked in for the bounce).

However, for ANY commute I'd always recommend a dynamo lighting system - there is no chance of running out of batteries.

The FX mentioned in the For Sale forum is a rather nice looking trike, within budget if you are even considering an ICE trike, and fairly local to you...
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=139263

I'd absolutely go and have a ride!
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I 100% agree with dynamo lighting. On a trike, because the front hubs are non-standard, I would go bottle dynamo and get a nice light set, then consider a hub dynamo down the line.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The Scorpion above already has dynamo lighting....

I would struggle to find a reason not to buy that initially...
Malice

Post by Malice »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The Scorpion above already has dynamo lighting....

I would struggle to find a reason not to buy that initially...

Its certainly put a spanner in the spokes of my thinking :lol:

especially as its less than an hours drive from me, just starting the negotiations with the boss (wife :wink: )
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's already second hand... so if you don't get on with it over the course of 12 months, you'll get somewhere between 90% and 110% of the price back.