Route for LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

Re: Route for LEJOG

Post by puffin »

Got home, picked up and left at stables, then organised bike to be repaired..hopefully ready for Monday. One of the horses took a shine to my pannier, I kinda knew he would, its no problem.
Attachments
20200716_160009(0).jpg
Last edited by puffin on 18 Jul 2020, 8:56am, edited 1 time in total.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Bad news in a small way (compared with what many of us are having to suffer these days). The bike won't be fixed till Monday earliest (new wheel being delkivered) and there is consequently no combination of train and accommodation which would work in early August. Also Scotrail are not selling tickets for that period till 22nd July. So, I did my first LEJOG in September, so it looks like I might be doing this one then too. I'm looking at work-arounds
puffin

Post by puffin »

I'm getting the bike back tomorrow, and have found a slot where the trains and accommodation match up, so I'm picking it up again on the start of next week (does it count as a LEJOG because I broke it into two?)

Also worked out that posting about it must have jinxed it so I'm stopping bombarding the forum till I've finished.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I don't think anyone will notice!

It's your ninth anyway!

I start a day from a different location to the end the day before due to logistical technicalities but further away so I counted it as doing lejog!

Cheers James
MBaya

Post by MBaya »

whoof wrote:
MBaya wrote:Hello, I have been reading this thread for quite a while and finally decided to make an account and get involved. I am currently planning a Lejog route using mainly the bikemap app so far. It has been great on my rides, gives me very quiet roads etc...
But I am not sure that the way I planned my route is the most efficient, as I am planning to camp along the way. I first made the route simply using the start and finish point, I then looked for campsites that are rather close to this "line", this is where I then linked my route campsite to campsite along the way. Haven't finished doing this yet, stopped at the scottish border.
I feel like there has to be a more efficient way of making a route along the way, and staying in campsites overnight. I am planning to ride between 80kms to 130kms a day. My question now is does anyone know of or has a route that will suit me? So basically a route going from LE to JOG using campsites. Also am a beginner so something less busy and more scenic is preferable. Thank you all!! What I have learned sooo much from simply reading everyone's comments on here.
Moustapha.

Have you seen Cycletravel?

https://cycle.travel/map

You can create routes from start and finish points and then create waypoints inbetween to move the route. It will automatically select quiet roads. It includes an option to show accommodation on route with one of the options being campsites.
As it selects quiet routes it does sometimes choose non-tarmaced trails such as canal tow paths. There's a function to turn this off and only choose sealed surfaces.
Routes can be saved (if you register for free) as GPX routes and downloaded for devices such as Garmin or sent the smart phones. You can also print PDFs of the route with turn by turn instructions.

Yooo! I just came back here to say that I tried this website on a 3 day "test" trip and I can tell you that this is the best thing ever invented hahah
I used it with a wahoo and it is perfect for what I am planning to use it for! Campsites can be found so easily and the routes it generates are sooo beautiful! Thank you! Legend!
puffin

Post by puffin »

Surely I have offended the cycling gods. Got home about 10 days ago after the reat hub broke 2 days into LEJOG. Finally got the bike fixed but decided enough was enough and bought a new bike off Ebay. Got it home yesterday to find it was the wrong size, drove it back to the seller this morning, stuffed the old bike into my brother's car and set off to start at Tiverton where i d broken down, 30 minutes into the journey there is a huge bang from the back of the car seat as a tyre explodes. Booked it into the repair shop in Tiverton 8.30 tomorrow then on my way to Cheddar.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Yea
Attachments
20200809_162116.jpg
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Well done. The smile says it all. :D
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Great stuff - well done!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Always reminds me of the time I got on the ferry there to go to the Orkney islands, when the boat got out of the harbour I thought it was going to tip up!
puffin

Post by puffin »

philvantwo wrote:Always reminds me of the time I got on the ferry there to go to the Orkney islands, when the boat got out of the harbour I thought it was going to tip up!

We always wanted to do that trip, was it good?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yes it was worth going, bit of a rough crossing but the ride to Kirkwall was very interesting, over the Churchill barriers and Scarpa Flow where a lot of the old battleships are still lying there. Then I stopped at the Italian Chapel, which was amazing, next I headed for Kirkwall youth hostel. The ferry to Aberdeen only sailed twice a week back then so I had to get the John O'groats ferry the next morning. I went in June and it didn't really go dark at night.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Post LEJOG shedding...does this happen to everyone??
Attachments
20200830_173109.jpg
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Err no..What on earth caused that?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
puffin

Post by puffin »

Paulatic wrote:Err no..What on earth caused that?

Its where I was holding the handle bars. On reflection...is the photo much information???