Bikes on trains in Wales

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tinribs

Bikes on trains in Wales

Post by tinribs »

Hi there, looking to take my bike on train from chester to Holyhead beginning of August, transport for Wales saying essential journeys only. Anyone reckon it'll be okay to get on with bike or not?
chris_suffolk

Re: Bikes on trains in Wales

Post by chris_suffolk »

Not sure what the position is in Wales, but BoJo waffled on about public transport being available for all in his press conference the other day. May be worth checking the Welsh regs - should be available on-line - to see of they provide any more clarity.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

If you choose a virgin (sorry, avanti) service, you don't get the warning message, so you can book with a clear conscience....
You'll be best making a reservation, as the voyagers have quite limited bike space. I'm not sure that you can do this by phone at the moment, but you should be able to book it when you book your ticket on the avanti website . Alternatively, any manned ticket office should be able to sort you out, providing they know what they're doing.
There's still not many people travelling on the trains at the moment, so you'll be able to stretch out in style...
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

It depends whether or not your journey is essential.

https://gov.wales/travelling-safely-coronavirus-guidance-public
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Just a quick update on this.
I've travelled with a bike on Welsh services over the last couple of days (Crewe to craven arms and back). There was no issue at any point, or any vetting on the essential nature of the journey.
The main problem (as with so many of uk services) is that it wasn't possible to book bike spaces, and there are only a couple in each train. Given the infrequent services on many lines in Wales, this leads to worrying times as your conection runs in...
For this reason, I would recommend using one of the avanti services which you can pre book the space.
Disclosure, I work for them, but in this instance I am putting myself in the position of the general public!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Crewe - Craven Arms is all in England
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pendodave wrote:I've travelled with a bike on Welsh services over the last couple of days (Crewe to craven arms and back).

Cyril Haearn wrote:Crewe - Craven Arms is all in England

And the operator is... ?

Jonathan
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Crewe - Craven Arms is all in England

Lol. It's a fair cop. Maybe they'd have kicked me off at abergavenny???
soma sage

Post by soma sage »

Transport for Wales train from Chester to Holyhead will be fine. There is space for 2 bikes and you don't need to book. You will unlikely be asked whether your journey is essential. The only issue is whether the train is full. Weekdays, I've never had a problem. One time on a Saturday, had to wait for the following train as other cyclists were there before me.

good luck!
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

Generally taking bikes on trains in Wales is fine. My only bad experience was when I was staying in Newport Pembrokeshire and decided to ride over the Preseli Hills to Carmarthen with the idea of getting a train back to Fishguard for a short ride back to Newport.

Arrived in Carmarthen early, had a couple of pints, then meal and some red wine in Pizza Express and staggered around to the station only to find the train was cancelled and they wouldn't let me on the replacement bus.

Soon sobered up on the 50 mile ride back to Newport.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Just shows the state of the rail network when somebody who works for a train company travels between two places in England and claims to have used the Welsh network!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not quite Phil
The trains might be operated by a Welsh company :wink:
And whatabout the Caergybi - Caerdydd service? It goes via England, then back into Wales
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

philvantwo wrote:Just shows the state of the rail network when somebody who works for a train company travels between two places in England and claims to have used the Welsh network!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is by some distance the least indicative measure of the state of our rail network that I've come across... :wink:
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

Thanks very much for all your help y'all!