Wide womens cycling shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PT1029

Wide womens cycling shoes

Post by PT1029 »

Does anyone have any suggestions for women's cycling shoes in a wide fit?
They will be used for touring, some walking about, using flat pedals with toe clips/straps. Soles that are not too knobbly would be preferred for ease of shoe extraction from the toe clips.
She tried some Specialized ones a few years ago (can't remember the model), which were too narrow.
Many thanks.
AMMoffat

Re: Wide womens cycling shoes

Post by AMMoffat »

Does her shoe size rule out men's shoes? I'm a woman with very wide feet. There are very few brands of shoe where the women's version is wide enough for me and I haven't found any cycle shoes that are. I wear Specialized Tahoes, but the men's version, which are sufficiently wide and are fine with toe clips.
Shreds

Post by Shreds »

Mrs S found Sidi’s narrow but they do suggest getting next size up for wide feet. Her favourites were Specialized which were much wider but has now settled with some Shimano ones. All these are MTB/Cyclo Cross versions that come with a heel and raised sole for ease of walking whilst having a SPD cleat on them. Agreed that the mens versions are little different to look at, but are invariably wider. Go for them for the wider fittings as you rightly say.

Otherwise if using traditional toe clips, look at some of the very traditional leather touring shoes that also have a proper heel. These will not only be wider, but more like a standard shoe and can obviously be used with toe clips.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Wide women?
John
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Shimano, esp if wanting to use them for touring / walking about, get shimano SPDs
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

If its toe clips then cycling shoes are not needed.
Just hunt down some stiff trainers or the more hill walking things. Apart from marketing they serve the same purpose. The cycling specific bit is purely the stiff ness.
Shreds

Post by Shreds »

mattsccm wrote:If its toe clips then cycling shoes are not needed.
Just hunt down some stiff trainers or the more hill walking things. Apart from marketing they serve the same purpose. The cycling specific bit is purely the stiff ness.

I beg to differ. Trainers are usually NOT stiff enough and the tread pattens often conflict with traditional pedal 'frames' which can result in incorrect foot positioning. The quill frame / ridges on a traditional pedal if it is that type, may cut into the trainer sole and cause damage to the metatarsal bones and associated muscle in the foot. Painful in the longer term. Correct positioning of the sole of the foot on the pedal is so important.
slowster

Post by slowster »

The traditional style cycling shoe made by William Lennon is a wide fit. I don't see why it would not be suitable for a woman - BITD men and women worse the same style of shoes made by the likes of Pete Salisbury, Carnac etc., and I don't recall there being men's and women's versions.

PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Thanks all, I have passed the link for this thread onto the not wide woman with the wide feet.

Thanks.
MOARspeed

Post by MOARspeed »

Few years ago I bought some Scott MTB shoes that were womens, i'm a size 8 with narrow feet, they were virtually identical to the mens version of the shoe, aside from a small swirly baby/sky blue stiching detail on the side (which you ain't going to see when it's covered in mud), but what really did it for me was the price..... The mens version was £90, the womens was on sale at £12, because nobody was buying them.... So much for "pink tax".