150,000miles?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Re: 150,000miles?

Post by foxyrider »

i've been riding, at least commuting for 44 years, even at 13/14 i was doing @ 5000 miles a year, most of my adult years would be much more (i don't drive so its ride or stay at home!) If you take that 5000 miles as an average year i'm at 220,000 miles - its probably actually closer to 250,000 in reality. Commuting aside, its not how far you travel, its how much enjoyment it gives you that really counts. :D

Well done Mick, you don't make a lot of your miles very easy!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I don't keep accurate records but my annual mileage has fluctuated between a minimum of about 2000 and a maximum of nearer 10000 a year for at least 40 years. I'm guessing it must be a total between 100k and 200k miles. One comment I would make is that when you ride fast, you can also ride far. A week's commuting and a good sunday ride can easily amount to the thick end of 200 miles. So can a couple of ~2-1/2hr training rides midweek and a good weekend ride. These days I am slower so I can spend the same time on the bike and do about 2/3rds the distance.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

On the subject of distance ridden, a good friend of mine has just written his first book:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/li ... 2000-miles

22,000 miles is the distance that he and his son have ridden together since his son was 7. Tom (the son) is the youngest person to ever complete the Festive 500, youngest to do an Everesting and away from that they've done lots of touring, bike-packing. He's 15 now and they're off to Cape Wrath next week!

If anyone is interested, you can pledge via that link above to receive a book or various other options - please feel free to send that link on or post it elsewhere.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

For the first 52 years of my cycling life I never recorded the mileage. Cycle computers as we know them were not around and I could never get on with the little click thing that was suppose to record mileage but were very hit and miss. What I do know is that since 1997 when I retired with the aim of using my bike as my main form of transport, plus my desire to cycle tour as much as possible, I have cycled at least 207,000 miles. I say at least because there have been times the computer recording the mileage has stopped working and those times I have no record only estimates.

At 77yo I still aim to do 10,000 miles this year.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

bikepacker wrote:At 77yo I still aim to do 10,000 miles this year.
Fantastic! :D

10,000 a year is 200miles a week.
At (say) 10mph it means 20hours a week in the saddle.
That's 3hrs a day - every day.

Been cutting the grass this morning. That took a couple of hours start to finish, and I've yet to take the dog for a couple of hours walk!
Mick F. Cornwall
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Mick F wrote:
bikepacker wrote:At 77yo I still aim to do 10,000 miles this year.
Fantastic! :D

10,000 a year is 200miles a week.
At (say) 10mph it means 20hours a week in the saddle.
That's 3hrs a day - every day.

Been cutting the grass this morning. That took a couple of hours start to finish, and I've yet to take the dog for a couple of hours walk!

My wife doesn't allow me near the lawn mower only she does the garden, I am just told to get out of the way. :D

You average it out quite well but some days I am out all day and when touring I have been known to ride from dawn till dusk. Living 4 miles away from the nearest shop and 6 miles from the nearest town also helps build up mileage. I can do 14 miles just popping into Pershore as I did this morning.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

that is miles and not kms? :wink:

I think my total is probably 20,000 light years :D
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

My big mile years have always been due to commuting mileage, some years I had 30 odd miles to work and 30 odd miles home, do it two or three times a week and you have 120 or 180 before you start thinking about evening and weekend rides. Similarly when I had 15 miles to work and did it every day it was 150 miles per week before leisure riding.
I have a retirement age lady friend who does 50 miles a day almost without fail, I've seen her out in the worst weather and she often puts in an extra loop of 10 or 12 miles to get to the start of a club ride.
I once went on a CTC Tour Leaders weekend and on arrival at the lunch stop my mile-eater friend (currently 500,000+ miles on the 300,000 mile list) downed a pint and said he was off to do a few extra miles whilst the rest of us ate our lunch!
Some professional racing cyclists must be doing 20,000 miles per year, so probably 300 - 400,000 miles before or after professional cycling miles. You'd have thought some of the testers would be sufficiently anally retentive to log them all but I haven't seen any reports of such.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pedals2slowly wrote:My big mile years have always been due to commuting mileage, some years I had 30 odd miles to work and 30 odd miles home, do it two or three times a week and you have 120 or 180 before you start thinking about evening and weekend rides. Similarly when I had 15 miles to work and did it every day it was 150 miles per week before leisure riding.
I have a retirement age lady friend who does 50 miles a day almost without fail, I've seen her out in the worst weather and she often puts in an extra loop of 10 or 12 miles to get to the start of a club ride.
I once went on a CTC Tour Leaders weekend and on arrival at the lunch stop my mile-eater friend (currently 500,000+ miles on the 300,000 mile list) downed a pint and said he was off to do a few extra miles whilst the rest of us ate our lunch!
Some professional racing cyclists must be doing 20,000 miles per year, so probably 300 - 400,000 miles before or after professional cycling miles. You'd have thought some of the testers would be sufficiently anally retentive to log them all but I haven't seen any reports of such.

by testers i presume you mean time triallists, from experience many of them won't be doing a lot of miles but what they do will be high intensity. if you only race 25 miles there is really no point in riding even that far in training! Now road racing is a different matter, serious roadies will certainly rack up the miles :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

You'd have thought some of the testers would be sufficiently anally retentive to log them all but I haven't seen any reports of such.

This extract from an interview with the million mile man answers your comment.

Cyc: You mentioned racing – did you race much?

RM: Yes I did. I won 36 time-trials within the Border Cycling Association, which is this area of Hampshire, Surrey and Berkshire. I won 10 road races, I also won 24 Open time-trials. This was all between 1953 and 1968. I then had a rest from racing, but I came back again and I won my last three races in 1975.

My fastest 10-mile TT was a 22:19. That was in 1954. That wasn’t far off the comp record. My fastest 25 is 57:10 – that was in 1960, Newark to Tucksford and back. My best 100 is a 4:18:49 in Essex.

My own mileage includes the ones covered in over 500 time trials and many other 300,000 Club members were also time triallists
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

mercalia wrote:that is miles and not kms? :wink:

I think my total is probably 20,000 light years :D

Mine are all in miles. I don't do kilometres.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

bikepacker wrote:Mine are all in miles. I don't do kilometres.
+1

I can do mm and M, and even Hectares at a push, but when it comes to distance and speed, it's Miles and Miles per Hour.

One issue I have with my Garmins, is that although they are set to Imperial, the distances are in Feet and tenths of a mile but not yards.

That's the USA for you! :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

I punctured two weeks ago. The first time since December 2015, that's over 45,000 miles ago. Hopefully won't puncture again before January 2026.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Well done Mick -- a proper cyclist. The rest of us are just pretend compared to that.
I am here. Where are you?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I reckon I’m on 185,000 and counting. I’ve been riding for 46 years, so that’s only between 3,000 and 4,000 a year on average. In my racing days, I was doing 8,000 a year. I had a few lean years, when I was ferrying my son around the country, taking him racing, but I’ve averaged 5-6,000 miles for the last 10 years. I’m currently on 3,500 miles for this year.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com