Back to work?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: Back to work?

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:That's the British way though.

Interesting times v-a-v the Tories seeing massive market intervention as the way to go. I wouldn't mind a bit of old-school toryism (as compared to what we've had, that is).

Yes, very interesting. I'm not a Boris fan and I think he has competence issues, but for a while now I have been saying that he is not the austerity driven beast that his two predecessors were, and he is not governed by a worship of market forces. He is actually capable of thinking more like an interventionist Labour PM, at least some of the time. Ideologically he is all over the place. Not necessarily good news if you doubt his competence, as I do, but interesting all the same.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Interesting times v-a-v the Tories seeing massive market intervention as the way to go. I wouldn't mind a bit of old-school toryism (as compared to what we've had, that is).

You mean like the thirties and eighties - well you're going to get it with over 3 million unemployed.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:

You mean like the thirties and eighties - well you're going to get it with over 3 million unemployed.

No I don't.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pwa wrote:

Yes, very interesting. I'm not a Boris fan and I think he has competence issues, but for a while now I have been saying that he is not the austerity driven beast that his two predecessors were, and he is not governed by a worship of market forces. He is actually capable of thinking more like an interventionist Labour PM, at least some of the time. Ideologically he is all over the place. Not necessarily good news if you doubt his competence, as I do, but interesting all the same.

Has competence issues?
That's a lovely turn of phrase but I think you are setting him up for failure with such high praise.

You continue to suggest that he is capable of thinking...
I have seen no evidence of any ability to think. I have barely seen any evidence of ability to use sentences, or answer questions asked. And yes I think politicians should answer the question they are asked, not some vaguely tangential question they prefer the answer to.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:

No I don't.

Well that was old school Toryism particularly under the Baldwin government. After the war the Tories went along with the welfare state consensus until they won the 1979 election when they went back to traditional Toryism under the Thatcher government.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
pwa wrote:

Has competence issues?
That's a lovely turn of phrase but I think you are setting him up for failure with such high praise.

You continue to suggest that he is capable of thinking...
I have seen no evidence of any ability to think. I have barely seen any evidence of ability to use sentences, or answer questions asked. And yes I think politicians should answer the question they are asked, not some vaguely tangential question they prefer the answer to.

But he doesn't need to think, just say "How high" when Cummings tells him to jump.
Navara

Post by Navara »

I fully understand that that there will be folk on furlough who will not have jobs to go to but that isn't the case here.Someone said they knew no one who was getting 100% pay,my reply was just to highlight that it does happen.
Last December our company announced some job losses.It was massively over subscribed with VR requests.
eg my dept required 4 out of 40 and they had 21 VRs.
Another dept required 20 from 200 and 80 VRs went in.
It transpired that over half the site workforce put VRs in.
IF and it's a big IF they let hem all go they will then have to replace well over half of those who put their VR in!
Those who want to go have been told it will now be Xmas before they have any chance of redundancy.So in effect they are on one long fully paid up holiday and those who want to go will get nice lump sum and pension when they are finally allowed to go.

I agree this entire scheme is an excuse for some to cut staff but that was obviously going to happen.