carrying bikes - How NOT to do it

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
fastpedaller

carrying bikes - How NOT to do it

Post by fastpedaller »

Just seen this in the Eastern Daily Press - beggars belief how anyone thought it was safe!
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/car-stoppe ... -1-6755569

It appears to be a towball mounted rack (a much better starting point than tailgate strapped- on ones) but that's the only good bit.
I think some people don't understand the huge forces which this sort of arrangement can generate, to the point of avoiding giving them a 'good pull around' (in case they dislodge them?) not realising that hitting a bump in the road will inflict worse!
Be safe out there.
peetee

Re: carrying bikes - How NOT to do it

Post by peetee »

Not to mention the huge forces applied to bikes, car and occupants because the truck driver behind can’t see the brake lights.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I went away this week end with chums, one of whom arrived in a Citroen Zsara Picasso - remember them? The original egg-shaped people-carrier. Anyway, his and his youngest daughter's bike were on a double bike rack, which was located such that all four sponge-protected resting points rested directly on the rear window - is that right?? That's 25-ish kilogrammes (in his case) gently vibrating away & pressing down directly on glass... on the plus side, both light clusters were clearly visible to all & sundry!
Last edited by simonineaston on 21 Jul 2020, 1:49pm, edited 2 times in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It is possible to carry 4 bikes like that safely, but they clearly didn't pay sufficient attention to being able to use their mirrors, or putting an auxiliary light / reg board over the lot, even if they were mounted securely.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Yes, it should have a number plate attached - and whether the loading is sensible will depend on the weight of the car.

But this is just another straight anti-cyclist story. The police photo looks to be deliberately shot from an angle to make the bikes appear to look bigger and obscure more than they do. The story is shock horror at FOUR bikes.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Visitors to Norfolk from Somerset

Is this mjr? :wink:
The Norfolk and Suffolk Roads and Armed Policing Team (NSRAPT)

That combination of responsibilities in one team is... interesting.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I wondered about that too, NS-RAPT, Norfolk + Somerset, I thought Norfolk was some way from Somerset
Pete Owens wrote:..
But this is just another straight anti-cyclist story

And an anti-motorist story, in particular a story about TDC, the tragedy of drive-cycling :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

Nope, nor the in laws!

These are big counties (roughly 100 miles by 100 miles the pair), the roads police have the fastest cars (including a Lotus and a Mitsubishi Evo, last I knew) and Norfolk Constabulary have been lambasted for slow armed response to the edges in the past (Tony Martin (farmer)...)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Under the law, drivers must make sure they can see clearly see through the back window when all bikes are loaded

I'm surprised by that, I was under the impression that it was acceptable for the view through the back window to be obscured by a load, or by a trailer or rear passenger, come to that. I can't find it mentioned in the Highway Code either. Is this a recent and specific ruling about cycle-carriers, intended to reduce TDC, perhaps?
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here are the relevant Con & Use Regs which date from 1986 and seem only to be available as originally enacted, so there may be later twiddly bits not here. Unfortunately, they have a growing habit of changing stuff without informing me.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... ter/E/made

I've linked to the chapter headed Vision. For anybody who doesn't follow links or is irritated by words like "hereinafter", it's broadly divided into "View to the front" and "mirrors." ie Nothing about "View to the rear" other than mirrors. With all the usual exceptions for works trucks and the like, what I'll call a normal vehicle needs either two wing mirrors or a driver's side wing mirror and an interior rear view mirror. The obvious point being that all manner of vehicles especially vans have no windows in the rear doors.

So this is AFAIK and if anybody is better informed I'll be happy to add to my knowledge.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Pastychomper wrote:
Under the law, drivers must make sure they can see clearly see through the back window when all bikes are loaded

I'm surprised by that, I was under the impression that it was acceptable for the view through the back window to be obscured by a load, or by a trailer or rear passenger, come to that. I can't find it mentioned in the Highway Code either. Is this a recent and specific ruling about cycle-carriers, intended to reduce TDC, perhaps?

Or even for there not to be a back window at all. You need to be able to see behind you - which you can using wing mirrors, which would not be obscured unless yo were to strap a tandem sideways.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Are the cycles allowed to protrude left and right behind the vehicle?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:

Nope, nor the in laws!

These are big counties (roughly 100 miles by 100 miles the pair), the roads police have the fastest cars (including a Lotus and a Mitsubishi Evo, last I knew) and Norfolk Constabulary have been lambasted for slow armed response to the edges in the past (Tony Martin (farmer)...)

The Evo was genuine, the Lotus/Lotii were promotional loans from Lotus - a number of forces were 'evaluating' them :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Are the cycles allowed to protrude left and right behind the vehicle?

Hard to say whether they protruding are from that angle with that lens, I'd say - I notice that the bike at the rear is squarely on the rack's 'prongs'.

...but in any event, the answer's no, they shouldn't, I believe.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thirdcrank wrote:Here are the relevant Con & Use Regs which date from 1986 and seem only to be available as originally enacted, so there may be later twiddly bits not here. Unfortunately, they have a growing habit of changing stuff without informing me.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/198 ... ter/E/made

I've linked to the chapter headed Vision. For anybody who doesn't follow links or is irritated by words like "hereinafter", it's broadly divided into "View to the front" and "mirrors." ie Nothing about "View to the rear" other than mirrors. With all the usual exceptions for works trucks and the like, what I'll call a normal vehicle needs either two wing mirrors or a driver's side wing mirror and an interior rear view mirror. The obvious point being that all manner of vehicles especially vans have no windows in the rear doors.

So this is AFAIK and if anybody is better informed I'll be happy to add to my knowledge.

breaking so many traffic laws? how many points on the licence? cant see number plate, nor lights nor indicators just 3. I hope the driver got clobbered