A mask in your bike bag?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David9694

A mask in your bike bag?

Post by David9694 »

Just a thought - masks in shops start on Friday 24 July, and you never know...
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Post by Mick F »

We bought three of these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-use-Ca ... 2749.l2649

Also, when I was in Evans last week, I bought one of these.
https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-neck-warmer-EV332574

That's four for the two of us.
One will be in my pocket or saddle bag when I ride.
Two will be in the car.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

We’ve experience of it here in Scotland.
I’ve settled on wearing it on my arm and it there ready for action. The two elastic ear loops fit my arm comfortable and then tuck the mask under them to stop the flapping. I carry it all times as you never know when you might need it.
Common sign here is "no mask no shop"
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Same as mick, I have a buff copy in my bag 24/7 which according to the rules is acceptable. Weighs nothing and is handy for a multitude of uses.
I don't see the point in buying multiple disposable masks.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I carry a reusable mask on my bag as I frequently cross the border. Although it will be a requirement in England in he next few days. I also carry a buff which, as others have said, has many uses.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Yes, mask and plastic bag (to put it in after use until washing) are in a pocket of the saddlebag. I usually have a buff with me, but it doesn't stay over the nose well unless over my ears and it's too warm for that, plus I want to wear that outdoors anyway.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

yes... and don't forget the hand sanitiser, touching the mask with unsanitised hands would be a foolish thing to do.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I've carried hand sanitizer for years for hill walking. So routine for me.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I bought 6 snood/buff from China 99p each a month ago. just in time for this. They are simple stretchable polycotton just the job for this. horrible pattern for the price but who is looking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Magic-Head-Face-Snood-Neck-Tube-Headwear-Wrap-Shawl-Scarf-Buff-Outdoor-UK/254594782397?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=554332150190&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

arrived quite fast

also have an unused disposable mask that I got free from Victoria Rail Sation a month ago
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Apart from the newsagents each morning, I've been in very few shops during lockdown and this will reduce that to an even barer minimum. I'll maintain social distancing by avoiding shops. Also, the mask vigilantes who will now feel vindicated and will redouble their antics are a pain, IMO.

It's hardly a burden to carry a mask, but the belated introduction of the requirement has reminded me of the dangers to public health from government policies decided by spinners. If masks in shops are important, and I like to keep an open mind, then they must surely have been important all along.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:Also, the mask vigilantes who will now feel vindicated and will redouble their antics are a pain, IMO.

What antics? I see refuseniks invading people's personal space - and not only the 2m/1m - every trip. I've yet to see any pro-mask activity except in reaction to such invasions. This may be a result of living in a very right-wing area.

It's hardly a burden to carry a mask, but the belated introduction of the requirement has reminded me of the dangers to public health from government policies decided by spinners. If masks in shops are important, and I like to keep an open mind, then they must surely have been important all along.

Yes. It's another thing Boris will be found to have picked the wrong side, eventually. The right decision early on would have been to withhold judgment and wait for more evidence, not play to his supporters and decry masks.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

I think a lot of debate around masks misses the point that they are not primarily to protect the wearer, but to protect others from the wearer. This is because you can have the virus, but be asymptomatic. In Countries where mask wearing has long been a thing, like Japan, this is already well understood, and fits with the general social attitudes.

Sure, domestic grade masks do offer some limited protection the wearer, but that is not their main purpose.

I have been carrying a mask on the bike for some time. The other day I was flagged down in a remote spot by a couple of cyclists one of whom had a mechanical problem. I think they got the point when I first masked up, donned gloves, and finally sanitized the relevant bits of their bike!
rjb

Post by rjb »

I took the easy option. Pair of old midcalf socks. Cut the toe off and slit both ends to go over the ears, and You can insert a 3rd layer filter (bog paper) to comply with the rules about 3 layer masks in Wales. I've tested it on a couple of supermarket shopping trips. They are uncomfortable and can restrict your breathing and I am aware when wearing it that I don't see other people as well which makes social distancing tricky in busy situations. I may go back to wearing a buff but don't think they are so good at containing ones microdroplets. As for hand sanitizer, I haven't seen any available and I check every time I go to the supermarket.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
slowster

Post by slowster »

thirdcrank wrote: the belated introduction of the requirement has reminded me of the dangers to public health from government policies decided by spinners. If masks in shops are important, and I like to keep an open mind, then they must surely have been important all along.

I agree with you, but I am even more concerned about the dangers to public health from the experts in SAGE. They appear to have made too many mistakes, collectively and individually, in their initial assessments of the threat posed by CV19, in their advice to government and in their communications to the public, e.g. Dr Jenny Harries' cosy chat with Boris Johnson explaining why people did not need to wear masks.

SAGE members would argue that they have acted at each stage on the evidence available at that time, and that now there is better evidence that masks are worth wearing, but that doesn't wash with me. With a pandemic, involving a potentially lethal virus which is new and about which scientists and doctors are still learning, the precautionary principle should always apply: recommend masks from the beginning until you know that they do not offer a worth while benefit. Much more seriously, it strongly looks like they bungled their initial assessments of CV19 (possibly failing to take into account evidence that was already available to them from doctors and scientists in China about CV19) and what action to recommend to the government, e.g. flawed/dangerous assumptions regarding herd immunity etc., failures to act earlier etc.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From the outset, I've followed both the regulations and the sometimes garbled guidelines as completely as possible. I think I've always erred on the side of caution and I've never done any version of a Dominic Cummings. I'm not doing a lap of honour here, just explaining my position. On at least three occasions I've been the subject of unwanted advice from people in masks. Twice, when enquiring from a distance of well over two metres whether the person was the end of the queue, I've been told to keep away but in stronger terms. I understand that people are frightened, some terrified, and understandably so. A totally unprepared government decided that frightening people into staying at home was the only way to avoid well-publicised scenes of hospitals being overwhelmed.

Very early in the lockdown, I was shopping in our local Co-op which was almost deserted apart from YOS and a masked woman who was bustling about hither and thither. As I approached the checkout there was nobody either being served or waiting, so I moved forward, only to be shrieked at by that other customer who pushed past me - well within two metres - with arms full of shopping. She had already bagged her place at the checkout with one armful and had been completing her shopping. The Co-op person and I were then subject to a tirade about only being a fortnight behind Italy and more besides, which seemed to be intended to be audible in the street outside. After her parting shot in my direction, I tersely suggested that in future she should use a trolley or basket like normal people and go round only once. When I reflect on it now, I suppose she might have been frightened of germs on there, but our Co-op has had disinfectant sprays available by the trolleys and baskets from the outset.

I can understand that the government has often been in a position of "don't know" but instead of frankly saying so, it's been fanny. I suspect that having frightened people into staying at home, they now want to unfrighten them with masks.

Incidentally, I've got mine, but as I posted above, I'll minimise the need to wear it by minimising my visits to shops.