Wigan past Preston to Garstang

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
helenheart

Wigan past Preston to Garstang

Post by helenheart »

I’m looking for a ‘nice’ way thru or around Preston. I’ll be spending the night in Wigan and plan to cycle on the A6 from Preston to Lancaster.
Cheers
Helen xo
rareposter

Re: Wigan past Preston to Garstang

Post by rareposter »

You want a nice way through Preston but then the A6 up to Lancaster?!

There's the Preston Wheel route around Preston which is a mix of quiet roads, parkland and old railway line. Some of it is in a pretty dire state though, I managed to puncture a CX tyre through there in January. The path was littered with broken glass hidden by fallen leaves and dirt.

However, it does keep you off the dreadful road through the centre of Preston.

Best option up to Lancaster is to stay just east of the M6 and head north through the lanes to Scorton then choose depending on if you're going through Lancaster or just bypassing it. Stay off the A6, it's horrible.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

There's a fairly direct route to the east of Wigan through Leigh, Atherton, Westhoughton, Adlington and Chorley. And then pick up route 91 which passes between between Preston and Blackburn on minor roads. Its hard to avoid the urban sprawl in this area but this route isn't too bad. The main decision is where to cross the Ribble and if you were heading for Garstang you would probably want to head for the bridge at Ribchester. When I last went that way I was heading on North through the Forest of Bowland so I continued on route 91 through Mellor and crossed the river at Whalley.

I can recommend the Forest of Bowland.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Helen,
Spending the night in Wigan?
I was at school in Wigan, and my father's side of the family were Wiganers. Mum's side came from Coppull. Both Mum and Dad are buried in Charnock Richard churchyard.

If I was riding up that way again ......... and I've done it lots over the years even as an adult into my 60s ............... I'd be on the A49 out of Wigan through Standish and Coppull and Charnock Richard to Bamber Bridge and then follow the Old A6 through Preston city centre (it was a town when I lived up there!) and pop out onto the A6 for Garstang etc.
Most of the traffic is on the M6 ............. I remember it being built.

I understand that some folk want a cycle-route through it all, but if you've managed to get to Wigan and spend the night there, you're able to cope with anything. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Can't really offer advice on the route, but if near garstang I can recommed this outdoor shop.
https://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBCP ... ID=1765297
On a light industrial site outside town.
They will let you take your bike inside.
Quality well chosen kit.
Sweep
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Here's the Deloitte Ride Across Britain route for Day 5. They set off from Haydock, a bit SW of Wigan but you can pick the route up by going NW out of Wigan (Park Road > Woodhouse Road) up to Shevington.

https://www.rideacrossbritain.com/route/stage-5/ (scroll down a bit and there's a Ride With GPS map there)

It touches the A6 for a short while because their first feed stop is at a big garden centre there. Then it's straight off into the lanes just east of the M6. After the mad rush of urban crap through that horrible Warrington-Wigan corridor, it's lovely to get off into the foothills of the Trough of Bowland. It's not hilly, the hills are off to the east.

Seriously, do not ride the A6, it has no redeeming features whatsoever.
When you get to Scorton, there's a big cafe there called The Barn, a sort of hub for cyclists from miles around. Excellent food.

The Deloitte route skirts Lancaster but if you want to go through it, just turn off at Quernmore and go in via Williamson Memorial which is the big dome thing on the hill above Lancaster, you can see it from miles away.

To get out of Lancaster, go via Halton (there's a tarmac towpath from the centre of town which gets you a lot of the way) up to Nether Kellet/Over Kellet. Do not ride the A6!

Once up at Carnforth, there are various options. The Deloitte route does actually use the A6 for a bit north of Carnforth for logistical reasons but there's nicer routes through The Yealands (Yealand Conyers, Yealand Redmayne) off to the west.

The A6 between Preston and Lancaster is horrible, avoid it. I may have mentioned that.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

No problem with the A6 between Preston and Lancaster. Yes it is busy with cars and some lorries and normal care needed. There is a cycle lane in parts but there are pinch points due to traffic calming etc with no cycle lane. East of the A6 is lumpy, the west side fairly flat.
Would be useful if the OP could give some idea of ability, route likes, dislikes and where in Lancaster heading for. The Deloitte route through Preston is similar to the "Wimps" route but on joining the A6 at Bilsbarrow stayed on the A6 until Garstang. We would normally then route on the west side of the A6 (B5272) to Cockerham and Condor Green where there is a cycle path the rest of the way to Lancaster. The advantage of the A6 is it's fairly flat and easy to navigate.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

My neck o' the woods :wink:
Leave Wigan as MickF says on the A49 straigh through Standish(after which the traffic thins out),Charock Richard,Euxton,past Leyland,take a left onto A5083 over the M6,400m before the island turn right onto Stoney Lane then left onto Old School Lane to take you to cross the A582 it's a busy road so care is needed on to Todd lane.
Follow Todd Lane until you can pick up route 55 on the left,this will take you to the south bank of the river(there's a bridge known as the old tramway but is blocked off as unsafe),turn right you're now followingnthe river as far as the A6 road bridge but avoiding the A6.Cross the bridge and turning left follow the north bank of the river,there's a cyclepath on the left after about 400m along the riverbank and into the park where there's a nice cafe.
It now gets a little tricky here,you're looking to head up the hill north out of the park onto Winkley Square,crossing the A59 onto Corporation St,Adelphi St,crossing the A5085,and straight on at the island on Black Bull Lane which leads to the A6 3/4 of a mile south of the M55.(the A6 is busy to but you've missed most of it).
There's a cycle path to negotiate the island under the M55 after which head for Broughton,turning right at the cross roads heading east,over the island at Broughton bypass,under the M6,then fork left into the lanes east of the M6 picking up route 6 to Scorton,from Scorton route 6 to Galgate,Condor Green to the west,there's a well surfaced traffic free cyclepath(Cafe de Lune at the beginning of the cyclepath) following the River Lune to the north west side of Lancaster.
Cross the Lune via the millenium bridge.
You now have a choice,whether to follow the cyclepath to Morecambe and head north from there.

Or just after crossing the Lune duck under the A6 on Lune St,at the T junction turn left onto Owen Rd/Slyne Rd A6 for a mile
Before joining the Lancaster Canal towpath,heading for Hest Bank,Bolton le Sands and Carnforth(some great views over Morecambe bay from the towpath),leaving the canal at Carnforth,heading for Wharton,the three Yealands, then Arnside Sandside,etc.

Or from Lune St T junction with Owen St,turn right and first left onto Mainway,Main St,Halton Rd,forking Left onto Kellet Lane,heading for Nether Kellet,Over Kellet,Capernwray,Borwick,Preist Hutton,etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Personally I try and avoid the A6 between Preston and Lancaster. It’s not the worst A road but not very pleasant either. I can see on an end to end a flattish direct route is a compromise. An alternative is to tolerate the A6 to Caterall then navigate to the B5272, then A588 to Conder Green and the rail path into Lancaster. From Lancaster, I’d head over the Millennium cycle Bridge, Cross the roads at the toucan crossing, go a few hundred meters up the A6, then take the Halton road followed by Kellet Lane. You can either rejoin the A6 at Carnforth or make your way through the lovely lumpy lanes Of NCN6 through the Yealands.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thinking about it,if the OP doesn't mind heavy 40 and 50mph traffic and all that goes along with it the A6 is direct and flat.
Personally that's not what touring's about for me,I'm more of a get away from person that a put up with it to pack miles in person.

EDIT:- forgot to mention there's a Sainbury's supermarket with a cafe(where you can see your bike through the window)200m from the Millenium bridge in Lancaster.
W H Auden
hilloverthehill

Post by hilloverthehill »

If you want a really quiet largely off-road route you could try the leeds and Liverpool canal from Wigan to Whittle-le-Woods then the NCN 55 to Preston, (where a lack of signs saw me meandering for a while), then join the Lancaster Canal. It was muddy and hard going in parts on a road touring bike but that was in November.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hilloverthehill wrote:If you want a really quiet largely off-road route you could try the leeds and Liverpool canal from Wigan to Whittle-le-Woods then the NCN 55 to Preston, (where a lack of signs saw me meandering for a while), then join the Lancaster Canal. It was muddy and hard going in parts on a road touring bike but that was in November.

I ride that section a lot from Leigh and whilst I enjoy it,I'd hesitate recommending for a loaded touring bike as there's some pretty rough sections which I don't think I'd be thanked for :wink:
W H Auden
helenheart

Post by helenheart »

Damn, I love this forum!! And planning my second leg of LEJoG. 1st leg was LE to Manchester. Now it's time for the last bit !!! :D
Guess I was wrong about the A6 Thanks for all the advice Very much appreciated xoxo
Sandhouse

Post by Sandhouse »

reohn2 wrote:My neck o' the woods :wink:
Follow Todd Lane until you can pick up route 55 on the left,this will take you to the south bank of the river(there's a bridge known as the old tramway but is blocked off as unsafe),turn right you're now following the river as far as the A6 road bridge but avoiding the A6.Cross the bridge and turning left follow the north bank of the river,there's a cyclepath on the left after about 400m along the riverbank and into the park where there's a nice cafe.

Hi - Is staying on route 55 and using the bridge to the west of the closed Old Tram Road bridge an option and then joining route 62 through Avenham Park to Winckley Square?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sandhouse wrote:
reohn2 wrote:My neck o' the woods :wink:
Follow Todd Lane until you can pick up route 55 on the left,this will take you to the south bank of the river(there's a bridge known as the old tramway but is blocked off as unsafe),turn right you're now following the river as far as the A6 road bridge but avoiding the A6.Cross the bridge and turning left follow the north bank of the river,there's a cyclepath on the left after about 400m along the riverbank and into the park where there's a nice cafe.

Hi - Is staying on route 55 and using the bridge to the west of the closed Old Tram Road bridge an option and then joining route 62 through Avenham Park to Winckley Square?

AFAIA both those bridges are off bounds for safety reasons with the LA lacking funds for repairs,so you're forced to use the A6 road bridge :(
W H Auden