Jihadi Brides and their Children.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Jihadi Brides and their Children.

Post by reohn2 »

reohn2 wrote:EDIT:- as an afterthought.By you're standard,should UK motorists have a vote on whether cyclists have the same rights as themselves or should cyclist rights on UK roads be less?

Navara wrote: Did you read my statement above regarding the futility of arguing about Politics?That statement of yours highlights why in a nutshell I don't bother.Nothing whatsoever to do with the OP but trying to score points by bringing motoring and cycling into a thread about Terrorism!!???.
OK you win.You're obviously right and I'm wrong and I'm sure your dad is also bigger than mine.
I'll keep my Political arguments face to face in future.

The point being made was everything to do with the OP and with the law,in that that if you leave such decisions as capital punishment or cycling on the road to a 'people's' vote there wouldn't be enough gallows and cycling would be banned.
The same applies to Begum,the law is the law and this government has stepped outside of it in removing her citizenship.

My Dad's dead though I've always I fought my own battles since becoming an adult!
You OTOH seem to prefer mob rule to the law of the land!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Navara wrote:

In the (outdated) law technically a child until 18.
You can work and join the armed forces at 16.There are those wanting the right to vote at 16.16 is the new 18.The law is way out of date with modern times.
My son is 12 going on 13.He is a child only in the sense the law states.He is not a child.He is an adult in body and an adult in mind.If he went out tomorrow and committed a crime he should be tried as an adult.End of:I make nothing up to suit.

This is one of the reasons it's pointless discussing Political matters on Forums.We will obviously never agree so there is little point in arguing.

Why do some people keep writing "End of" to terminate a point in a discussion. It signifies nothing and achieves nothing other than making them look a bit foolish.

In the instance I used it it really was the end of the argument. If you are under 18 you are a child in law. There is no further point to make. Saying otherwise or disputing it will not change anything.

Except, of course, you are not. An under 18 year old is classed as a minor not a child under English law.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

An interesting distinction but the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child defines child as "a human being below the age of 18 years unless under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier"
John
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

In the UK your still a child if your a migrant under 25
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

yakdiver wrote:In the UK your still a child if your a migrant under 25

Source please.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:An interesting distinction but the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child defines child as "a human being below the age of 18 years unless under the law applicable to the child, majority is attained earlier"

Whatever that increasingly irrelevant organisation says is not UK law. In Scotland minority ends at 16. Would you describe sixth formers as children?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

It is English law. Certain child protection rights are lost at 16 but they are a child until their 18th birthday. You can object all day but it will alter nothing.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:It is English law. Certain child protection rights are lost at 16 but they are a child until their 18th birthday. You can object all day but it will alter nothing.

The law state they are a minor not a child. The reality is childhood ends at different ages for different people.

Would you describe the winner of this boxing match as a child?

[youtube]HQKI7dM9sGw[/youtube]
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:It is English law. Certain child protection rights are lost at 16 but they are a child until their 18th birthday. You can object all day but it will alter nothing.

The law state they are a minor not a child. The reality is childhood ends at different ages for different people.

Would you describe the winner of this boxing match as a child?

[youtube]HQKI7dM9sGw[/youtube]

Physically, perhaps not, however as far as emotional development was concerned, very much so.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Doesn't matter what I think. The law treats someone under 18 as a child. All children, whatever their assumed level of maturity.
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:Doesn't matter what I think. The law treats someone under 18 as a child. All children, whatever their assumed level of maturity.

A minor not a child.

Anyhow I thought this girl should have been allowed back and to continue her life here. Listening to folk like you has convinced me otherwise.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Doesn't matter what I think. The law treats someone under 18 as a child. All children, whatever their assumed level of maturity.

A minor not a child.

Anyhow I thought this girl should have been allowed back and to continue her life here. Listening to folk like you has convinced me otherwise.

I fear you are making a difference which actually, to all intents and purposes, doesn't exist.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Shamima Begum
she will hear tomorrow from the Supreme Court whether she can come back to the UK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8975069/ISIS-jihadi-brides-challenging-government-decision-strip-British-citizenship.html ( not very many sympathetic comments there)

Hopefully this smiling excuse for a politician hoping to advance his career will not be smiling tomorrow. He clearly learnt his trade from watching Trump
Capture.JPG

she is our problem.
Last edited by mercalia on 24 Nov 2020, 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The hearing is streamed live:
https://www.supremecourt.uk/live/court-01.html

Jonathan
Syd

Jihadi Brides and their Children.

Post by Syd »

Supreme Court had ruled Stamina Begum cannot return to the UK to challenge her loss of citizenship.

All her appeals have been dismissed.