Knee friendly Clipless Pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
the cormorant

Knee friendly Clipless Pedals

Post by the cormorant »

I'm after some advice on clipless pedals. I use toeclips at present but would like to upgrade. I've heard that clipless pedals put a lot of pressure on the knees. (After a rugby injury 15 years ago one of my knees isn't that strong but is fine for normal cycling). I've also heard that some pedals allow a degree of float and are thus a bit more knee friendly.

Are they any pedals that I should consider/avoid?

I commute, train and tour by bike and in the first instance I'd only use them for training and touring since the idea of being tethered to the pedals in rush hour traffic seems a bit scary to me.

I'd also be keen to others' experiences of changing from toeclips to clipless.

Thanks.
TATANAB

Re:Knee friendly Clipless Pedals

Post by TATANAB »

I think most of the problem pedals have gone from the market. i.e. those with no floating action. I have only experience of clipless systems associated with MTB. I started with Sh---NO about 10 years ago, and found they were ok but limited in float. Then I tried the defunct Look MTB pedals which had more float and easier adjustement but were very heavy. After a couple of years I tried Time ATAC, and that is the system I have now stuck with. There is a good degree of float, and no spring tension adjustment is necessary. If you have severe knee problems, I am told that Speedplay Frogs are very good, but have delicate and vulnerable parts. Heresay only there. I too have a damaged knee, and find that Time ATAC works for me.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Time is fine for strong and heavy riders, but the lack of spring adjustment makes them hard for lighter pedallers to get in or out of.

Dodgy kees do not necessarily need a whole lot of float. It depends what's dodgy about them. Only some conditions make the foot swivel markedly as the knee bends and Shimano has enough float for a reasonable amount of that. Shimano's adjustable binding tension and "multi-release cleat" (supplied with basic model pedals or available as an option) are to my mind the best introduction to clipless riding, since they make it so easy to get in or out. No embarrassing falls at the traffic lights! You can put on the "pro" cleats and wind up the tension once a twist of the foot has become second nature.

Most problems arise from not bothering to find the optimum angle for the cleat on the shoe, to suit the angle your foot likes to be at. That can take quite a lot of ride - adjust - ride - adjust - ride ... irksome but essential.
PW

Post by PW »

Another ATAC user here. I took the time (!) to set up the cleats to suit the natural angle of my feet & Have found them extremely comfortable. No problems getting in/out & only came close to falling off once. That was complacency because I thought I'd got the hang of it before I really had! Shoes are Carnac Passy, also very comfortable & walkable. I still use clips & straps for commuting/shopping when I might need non-cycling specific shoes, but for long rides I shan't be going back.
Chris

Post by Chris »

<font color="blue"? I'm interested in these strapless peddles, but what are the advantages to them? I've done plenty of miles with just toe straps, and been fine. I see the advantage of the amber reflector that seem to move when car lights get them from behind. Not only that but the price of thes pedals and the shoes seem very expensive.
Any advice greatly received.
Chris

Post by Chris »

<font color="blue"> I'm interested in these strapless peddles, but what are the advantages to them? I've done plenty of miles with just toe straps, and been fine. I see the advantage of the amber reflector that seem to move when car lights get them from behind. Not only that but the price of thes pedals and the shoes seem very expensive.
Any advice greatly received.</font>