heat, haircut & hat - warning!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

heat, haircut & hat - warning!

Post by simonineaston »

Recently, a lot of us have adopted the Lockdown BuzzCut. I have - and very fetching I look too, I must say... but I'm not dim, either so I bought a lightweight baseball cap to protect my newly shorn nut. But I under-estimated the power of the mid-summer sun to shoot UV through a light weave and of course, there's not much hair there to help now either. I've gone through the pain so you don't have to! :roll: Factor 50 rubbed into the scalp might be a new sensation for all but the naturally balding, but don't overlook its benefits.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
peetee

Re: heat, haircut & hat - warning!

Post by peetee »

Been there, had that. As an aside I would recommend E45 cream for tingling sun-exposed skin and Sudocreme for sunburn.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

simonineaston wrote:Recently, a lot of us have adopted the Lockdown BuzzCut. I have - and very fetching I look too, I must say... but I'm not dim, either so I bought a lightweight baseball cap to protect my newly shorn nut. But I under-estimated the power of the mid-summer sun to shoot UV through a light weave and of course, there's not much hair there to help now either. I've gone through the pain so you don't have to! :roll: Factor 50 rubbed into the scalp might be a new sensation for all but the naturally balding, but don't overlook its benefits.

That's what put me off the idea. I did a number 4 back and sides, but scissors on the top.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I do suncream in my hair when on holiday in Spain as I go buzzcut with no guard for my hair. Did consider going buzzcut at the start of lockdown then razoring the remainder off :shock:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I tend to wear head covering when I'm out as I'm totally bald. Keeps my head dry in the rain too, as it's very uncomfortable when it rains on my bald head!

Alopecia Universalis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_universalis
Mick F. Cornwall
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

simonineaston wrote: the Lockdown BuzzCut. .

Hmm, well I waited 17 weeks for a haircut. Then queued for an hour (NB. Or 1.5?), on the street, at 08.00am on the first Saturday haircuts were authorised. To find afterwards that the barber had given me a crew cut :oops:

Three weeks in, still have to wait another several weeks to get back to an acceptable length!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm bald as a Coot on top so I only have the sides to worry about which I cut myself with electric hair clippers set at No2.
I always wear a cap or sun hat in full sun,with a broad brim for protection for my rather large nose and ears.
I've just bought one of these for on the bike as the baseball type one have too long a peak:- https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -cap-p1348

All that said I'm currently fashioning a goatee beard aiming for the delightfully windswept and interesting Seasick Steve look :-
https://www.google.com/search?q=seasick ... beVncsppVM
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Not boasting, but I am particularly hairy (think the hairy man at the swimming pool) with copious hair on my head. I will be cutting it later this morning, but I will be careful not to have it too short. Our tour starts tomorrow and I want to retain some insulation against the rain as well as sun (as if..), and I also find my helmet less comfy if the hair is too short. 8mm usually does nicely.
Navara

Post by Navara »

pwa wrote:Not boasting, but I am particularly hairy (think the hairy man at the swimming pool) with copious hair on my head.

I too have a full head of thick hair but took to buzzing it down to No1 20 or so years ago.I then progressed to using the clippers without an attachment.Over the past year or so I've taken to shaving it completely every 2 days.less hassle,low cost.
I wear a BB cap but still regularly get a semi-circular tan where the gap is at the back of the cap :lol:
Ever since I started taking it down to the wood I've used a cap under my helmet.I have tried riding with Factor 50 and no cap but still came back with "Tiger-strpes" on the noggin.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Was out in London Thursday with only a pair of sunglasses for protection and my head today was a little tender, luckily I've got some aftersun cream in the bathroom cabinet so rubbed that in today.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Today, just over a week after I left for my sun-drenched camping trip, the blisters have dried out and most of the dead skin has come off in the shower - powerful stuff those ultra-violet rays!! Good job we don't live any nearer the sun than we do...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pwa

Post by pwa »

Navara wrote:
pwa wrote:Not boasting, but I am particularly hairy (think the hairy man at the swimming pool) with copious hair on my head.

I too have a full head of thick hair but took to buzzing it down to No1 20 or so years ago.I then progressed to using the clippers without an attachment.Over the past year or so I've taken to shaving it completely every 2 days.less hassle,low cost.
I wear a BB cap but still regularly get a semi-circular tan where the gap is at the back of the cap :lol:
Ever since I started taking it down to the wood I've used a cap under my helmet.I have tried riding with Factor 50 and no cap but still came back with "Tiger-strpes" on the noggin.

I did mine yesterday with the clippers but left enough to avoid issues. The 8mm attachment gets it about right for me. I then slightly adjusted the fittings on the helmet, just one notch. I won't have to think about this again for a month now.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

@R2 I have that radar hat, it's quite handy to stuff into the pocket when you don't want to wear it.

Oh dear, another thing in common. I'm possibly only a few steps away from cutting labour now!!!! :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote:Today, just over a week after I left for my sun-drenched camping trip, the blisters have dried out and most of the dead skin has come off in the shower - powerful stuff those ultra-violet rays!! Good job we don't live any nearer the sun than we do...

Depends on how tall you are and whether you climb hills and mountains :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
dodger

Post by dodger »

Redvee wrote:Was out in London Thursday with only a pair of sunglasses for protection and my head today was a little tender, luckily I've got some aftersun cream in the bathroom cabinet so rubbed that in today.

I'd have been worried about the rest of me getting burnt with only sunglasses on, not to mention the expectation of arrest!