SIGLE<DUAL FLOW CYCLE LANES

wjhall

Re: SIGLE<DUAL FLOW CYCLE LANES

Post by wjhall »

mjr wrote:
wjhall wrote:Baldwin Street has 5 places where you may be required to stop on the cycleway as against 3 if you use the road, the latter all..... ....

All of that's in theory. The cycleway "may be required to stop" but rarely is, whereas you must stop at light controls even if the walkers have long gone - both those and the bus stop zebras are relatively rarely used to the point of requiring more than slight variation of approach speed. The incorrectly-mark....

PS - would you mind fixing your misquote of me, please?

So, you have noticed the problems, agree with my count and decided they do not matter. That goes for most problems, and most risk. Like smoking, a poorly constructed cycle facility does not result in instant death, which is why it is a risk, poor practice. and ill advised

Something did go wrong with the quoting, but not to the extent that I can see a misquote. If you can point it out, I will correct it, but quotes are really only meant to indicate which bit is referred to..
mjr

Post by mjr »

wjhall wrote:
mjr wrote:All of that's in theory. [...]

PS - would you mind fixing your misquote of me, please?

So, you have noticed the problems, agree with my count and decided they do not matter.

I have not noticed any problems in practice, so I did not check your count, so I have not agreed with it.

That goes for most problems, and most risk. Like smoking, a poorly constructed cycle facility does not result in instant death, which is why it is a risk, poor practice. and ill advised

Apart from the cocked-up crossing, which current good practice guides do you think it is not following?

Something did go wrong with the quoting, but not to the extent that I can see a misquote. If you can point it out, I will correct it, but quotes are really only meant to indicate which bit is referred to..

For example, right at the start of your message, this is untrue: "mjr wrote: Contraflow definitely becomes a problem when you want to get back on the correct side," because I did not write that. You did.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
wjhall

Post by wjhall »

Now we are going round in circles, you mentioned all the features, but do not consider them to be problems, although they obviously increase the number of places where cyclists must give way. You did not check my count, although it is an obvious thing that anyone assessing, or praising the B St. lane should have done, for themselves, without needing prompting.
mjr

Post by mjr »

wjhall wrote:Now we are going round in circles, you mentioned all the features, but do not consider them to be problems, although they obviously increase the number of places where cyclists must give way.

Give way - to walkers, which you really should everywhere anyway even without markings. Do you have a problem giving way to people walking?

In return for a few more zebra markings, you get to bypass some lights. Seems a useful trade to me.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.