Modern bikes noisier?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
francovendee

Modern bikes noisier?

Post by francovendee »

I'm wondering if the use of modern materials and design have made bikes noisier?
When I hear a bike coming I know before seeing it if it's modern.
I wonder if it's the use of carbon frames and deep rims plus very noisy freeehubs that add up and make them noisier.
simonineaston

Re: Modern bikes noisier?

Post by simonineaston »

Oh definitely! There's an urgent insistance about the click of the spawls on a modern road bike that you never used to get. Even the venerable Sturmey Archers used to tick in a more leisurely way.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pwa

Post by pwa »

A combination of noisy freewheels and resonating carbon frames. Noise is now a consideration when I am looking for new bike components.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Some have freewheels that make an awful dry clicking sound
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'd assumed it was some sort of safety measure :wink:

But seriously, yes, it's now rare you can't hear the approach of a cycle, and some make a right old racket.
pwa

Post by pwa »

There must be little tricks to dampening sound if you are lumbered with a noisy bike. Extra grease in voids in the hub, some sort of rubber band around resonating carbon tubes, perhaps.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I come from an era where one took pride in the silent running of one's bike, so short of filling the carbon tubes with expanding foam I think carbon's not the material for me.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 25 Jul 2020, 9:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Bonefishblues wrote:I'd assumed it was some sort of safety measure :wink:

But seriously, yes, it's now rare you can't hear the approach of a cycle, and some make a right old racket.

It is an interesting point. My commuter is almost silent, aside from tyre against tarmac, due to belt drive and Alfine rear hub.

I have to make a sound then coming up behind peds on shared use paths or I scare the bejesus out of them.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Where we used to live in Lancashire when I was a kid, some road races came past almost weekly.
This was the early/mid 1960s.
I would be in raptures on hearing the "zing" of the tyres and the "swish" of the wheels whizzing past. Lovely clean sounds, and all shiny bling colours and polished alu and chrome. A sheer delight to watch and listen,

A few years ago, I watched the Tour of Britain come through, and it was horrible. Clunky drumming flat sounds that sounded like they were on wooden bikes.
No zing of the tyres either, and no swish of the wheels. All boring black, all utterly boring, and all completely unimpressive and a poor sad spectacle.

I wouldn't watch the tour again for those reasons alone.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Bonefishblues wrote:I come from an era where one took pride in the silent running of one's bike, so short of filling the carbon tubes with expanding foam I think carbon's not the material for me.

I'm of the same mind. Apart from the swish of the tyres and a small amount from the tyres I try to keep my bike as noiseless as possible. I can tell instantly if I have a problem with the bike.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What confuses me is how the more you pay for your groupset the noisier it gets. My tiagra is quiet. But you see roadies with ultegra or better and gear changes come with a really loud click. You hear them going click, cc pick, click along the be road. Changing gears say every little change in incline. STFU you noisy [rude word removed], I'm out for a quiet ride in the countryside and give just stopped the birds singing with your clicking.

Blackbirds and starlings I believe are good mimics. I once heard one do a near perfect old style telephone ring. I fully expect on some popular cycle routes the blackbirds will be clicking loudly!

Why spend so much money getting the better gearing and accepting a louder noise? What is causing that loud click? Why doesn't my tiagra have it?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Why spend so much money getting the better gearing and accepting a louder noise? What is causing that loud click? Why doesn't my tiagra have it?

I think it's an ostentation thing TBH.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

It would be interesting to know which freehubs are quietist.I really dislike noises on my bikes and I was dissuaded from using a Hope hub on my next derailleur wheel by a friend who said his was like a machine gun.The novatec on my Spa is not too bad and the rohloff is wonderful on my Thorn :wink:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Maybe there isn't the demand for silent freehubs so nobody makes them?
Perhaps there should be a dB value stated on the hubs? You could then find out and avoid the noisiest :)
peetee

Post by peetee »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:

I think it's an ostentation thing TBH.

Nah. Carbon fibre, ahead sets, press fit brackets. Companies just don’t understand what makes up a proper bike these days. 8)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.