Shopping on the High Street

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Shopping on the High Street

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

al_yrpal wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I was in Harrods and Fortnums today. They were very cool about the whole situation. Fortnums were more instant about face coverings than Harrods, but everyone in Harrods were wearing coverings #firstworldproblems.

Bet you arrived there on the Pinarello and parked it up next to Ferraris... :lol: Do you have a penchant for labels?

Al

*ahem*

rjb

Post by rjb »

Some posters on this thread roll up with a barrow. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi RJB, Quite correct, "Barrow" is another name for the superior machine "The Tricycle"! For Social Distancing one may use the "Long Barrow", the Tandem Tricycle. (Though ensure that the Chauffeur is part of your family bubble). IGICB MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

How can you buy a new suit on the web? The tailor has to take his own measurements and later you need a fitting.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:How can you buy a new suit on the web? The tailor has to take his own measurements and later you need a fitting.

Simples, one orders several in different sizes, the ones that do not fit are simply scent back :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

What's a suit?
John
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:How can you buy a new suit on the web? The tailor has to take his own measurements and later you need a fitting.

Simples, one orders several in different sizes, the ones that do not fit are simply scent back :?

The tailor needs to take your measurements before he can me the suit for you. You're not one of those people who buy ready made are you?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Oldjohnw wrote:What's a suit?

There speaks a man who says he's a very high level civil servant. You're not Dominic Cummings are you?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:

There speaks a man who says he's a very high level civil servant. You're not Dominic Cummings are you?

Obviously.
John
rjb

Post by rjb »

I wear my suit when I've got a dirty job on. The boiler suit. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, Last year our daughter got wed, so my suit came out?
Well the photos need more than a touch of air-brush to get the suit fitting right. AAAAAAgh.
So I ordered a new suit, a nice Mod Style whistle, even Brad Wiggins would like it. On-line order, full measurement schedule displayed. As I used to do that task for a living it was an easy to follow job. SWMBO wielded the tape, order sheet completed, off it flew to Malaysia.
Price of Wales Check, nice mid grey, medium weight, 3 button, matching tie, just what I wanted. Price very reasonable, workmanship good, back here in 10 days!!!!! Must remember to get a nice Ben Sherman shirt to match?
Of course the Lambretta to complete the ensemble would have taken food off the table for one hell of a long time, so gave that a miss.
Nice fit, makes me look a lot healthier, when I turn my toes up the charity shop will find a ready customer. Suit on-line? Painless for me! MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I havent worn a suit in 50 years. Suits are a silly idea. The trousers wear out or your waist gets bigger and you are left with a jacket that wont pair with any thing.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

All the bespoke tailoring in the World doesn't allow for the way even the best fabrics shrink, especially around the waistline of garments.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Wet suits! :lol: So cheap now

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

When I was in management I rarely wore a suit as in any group a sports jacket indicated the most senior person there. Only junior managers wore suits.