Which navigation gadget or app for LEJOG?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
afanasiew

Which navigation gadget or app for LEJOG?

Post by afanasiew »

Planning for a 16 day LEJOG next year, I'm wondering what to use for navigation. I'm dizzy from reading Garmin and Wahoo reviews which, if you keep looking, always seem to come up with off-putting negatives. Now I'm looking at android apps for use with a spare phone and powerbank, but there are so many to choose from, even when you're only looking for offline mapping and turn-by-turn navigation. What's your preference? Anyone used Naviki?
Jdsk

Re: Which navigation gadget or app for LEJOG?

Post by Jdsk »

For touring I use an Edge 1000, and if I were buying now it would be an Edge 1030. Only problem with the 1000 has been the marginal battery life and the 1030's is said to be longer.

Convenient recent comparison of Edges in BikeRadar:
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/garmin-edge-bike-computers-buyers-guide-to-all-the-models/

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Have you looked at Lezyne?
I use a Mega XL the battery life is great the screen is easy to read and TbT is good. Make your route from your phone Lezyne app, Lezyne web site, Komoot, or import from your favourite source.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
whoof

Post by whoof »

I use a Garmin Etrex 20x. It shows a trail which you follow which is very simple to do. Battery life is excellent, last weekend I rode 110 miles on Saturday and 125 on Sunday and it still showing 3 out of 5 bars which means anything from 40 - 60% left. It takes two AA batteries which means I carry a spare pair of rechargables so if they do run out I just swap then over. It comes with very little memory. However I bought a 3Gb data card which you can insert and it then holds dozens of routes. Has a smaller screen than some GPS units or phones, hence high battery life but I wear glasses for reading and don't find it a problem.

Mrs Whoof uses a Smart phone together with Kammot. The advantage is she only needs one device. The down sides are if you follow a trail on the screen as above then battery life is only a few hours. She does use it with An ear piece given directions but these are harder to follow than a trail. As sometimes these are a bit late and you over shoot and at other times out can be confusing as to which left you should take.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Paper maps with Google maps backup!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers James
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

Jdsk wrote:For touring I use an Edge 1000, and if I were buying now it would be an Edge 1030. Only problem with the 1000 has been the marginal battery life and the 1030's is said to be longer.

Convenient recent comparison of Edges in BikeRadar:
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/garmin-edge-bike-computers-buyers-guide-to-all-the-models/

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan.

Not interested in any metrics, I did look at the Edge Explorer, but was put off by the short battery life. Was more tempted by the Wahoo Elemnt Roam.

Tony
afanasiew

Post by afanasiew »

Paulatic wrote:Have you looked at Lezyne?
I use a Mega XL the battery life is great the screen is easy to read and TbT is good. Make your route from your phone Lezyne app, Lezyne web site, Komoot, or import from your favourite source.

I did initially look at Lezyne but, tbh, can't remember why I rejected it in favour of the Wahoo Roam. This too I decided against, having found an extensive review which found faults.

Currently looking at the Bikemap app, premium version, to use offline.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Are you credit card touring or camping ??

Where you stop each night makes a vast difference on how easy it is to recharge any device/battery.
If you're camping the something like a Garmin eTrex using rechargeable AA makes sense because it can be a bit iffy recharging power banks.
If you're stopping at hotels/b&B then it very easy to recharge a power bank each night so phone based apps becomes more viable.

Luck ......... :D
philg

Post by philg »

Have used Garmins for 20 years, first the Legend, currently the Oregon (450) along with an Edge Touring (avoid!)

My vote would be the Oregon (now 700) - a good screen that you can read in sunlight and shock/waterproof (unlike a phone)
Very flexible power options, either with internal AA batteries (rechargeable or not) or external powerbank via USB.

Ignore Garmin's current travails, you don't need their web-services other than firmware updates, it will run happily from a PC either Basecamp or the older (& better IMHO) Mapsource. Open source maps from Talky Toaster or velo-map etc. and route planning from cycle.travel or one of the many others.

The Edge series seem to be popular with those who primarily want a cycle computer with some mapping thrown in, whereas the Oregon/Dakota are more general handheld GPS units and IMO are more useful, YMMV.
Whatever you get you will have a learning curve that may be quite steep :)
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Magnetic compass: shows you which way N is ................
philg

Post by philg »

Morzedec wrote:Magnetic compass: shows you which way N is ................

Well magnetic North anyway.
At Gander airport in late 80's true North was somewhere around 45 degrees off (DAHIKT)
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

DAHIKT? - what's that?

Pedantically, heading for magnetic North is better than going West, lost.

I was only 'avin a larf.

Happy days,
philg

Post by philg »

puffin

Post by puffin »

I've used an Edge 1030 last few LEJOGS and have found the battery life to be fine. I use ridewithgps to plan, download and store my routes. The Edge's screen interfacee got a bit fussy during a recent downpour but its data recording and mapping were fine.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Jamesh wrote:Paper maps with Google maps backup!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers James

Non-volatile fibre based storage with magnetic guidance.
aka paper map with compass.

OSMap on the phone for figuring street names at unmarked intersections.
Keep the ocean on yer left and head north, till you see a large body of water.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++