Buses (and coaches).. Why? Why not?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Buses (and coaches).. Why? Why not?

Post by mjr »

fausto copy wrote:Well, the weird thing about the above is that one cannot travel on the train all the way from Shrewsbury to Llanelli or Swansea.
One has to pay if you want to use those stations (and vice versa).
And I don't suppose there'd be a connecting bus to let you do the last bit either!
Bonkers.

The half-hourly X13 connects to Swansea, the hourly L3 connects to Llanelli, the hourly 435 to Shrewsbury. www.bustimes.org is quite useful.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Had an early appointment on the other side of town, thought seriously about taking the bus, checked the times, the bus only goes twice an hour and takes as long as cycling, one change at the bus station

Cycled instead, might have taken the bus only in bad frost or snow, a no-brainer again
Didnae realise how fast cycling was, arrived 30 minutes early :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ashamed to report that I took a bus trip yesterday
The driver kept his foot on the throttle and braked late, stopped, instead of coasting towards red lights and maybe not having to stop and start again, he followed a tractor too close, so he had to brake, couldnae read, ignored a STOP sign :?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Slight variant - coach.

I’m not going to be taking the train to LHR again. Last time I took the bus. Wheelchair stowed underneath with my luggage, front seats reserved for me.
Then straight down to the airport, dropped off directly outside departures.

Driver did the loading/unloading, was friendly and I was in no way rushed.
Sat and tried to get a bit of a kip before the flight.

No changes (well, one change from the car to the coach) rather than the multiple changes needed to get to, and across, London. And in a wheelchair, with luggage, that’s a serious consideration.

Was absolutely brilliant - and less than a third of the price of a train - will use again.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

I have a voucher for free travel on the town bus, I was in Shopping Heaven, looked at the display, the buses go to... Shopping Heaven, after 40 minutes driving round, the station, hospital, schools back to the start

Cycling is quicker :wink:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have a voucher for free travel on the town bus, I was in Shopping Heaven, looked at the display, the buses go to... Shopping Heaven, after 40 minutes driving round, the station, hospital, schools back to the start

Cycling is quicker

For that sort of distance I'd cycle too by choice.

Do you think that there are other groups of people for whom that free travel might be valuable?

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Go away please
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

The question posed implies people choose to use buses etc.A person acquainted with a modest income cannot afford a car or taxi so are very dependent on the bus.I think the person is acting as devil's avacado and is best ignored as a wind-up.This type of topic must be raised by someone from a sheltered/privileged background.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

mumbojumbo wrote:The question posed implies people choose to use buses etc. .... This type of topic must be raised by someone from a sheltered/privileged background.

Your point in turn implies that people don't choose to use them, i.e. that the only people who use buses are those with no other choice. That is by no means so. I'm sure I am not the only person who has decided not to buy a car and prefers to use the range of other options available, including buses. In fact I think one of the things holding back the development of buses in Britain is this misguided perception that they are a distress purchase and that using them somehow lowers the status of the user.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Sorry but I lack your articulate powers.Thatcher derided those opting for he bus,and on this occasion |i at variance with her views.I use pubic transport often,buse,trans and tra ns,and my favourite ferries.I am even prepared to fly as and when money allows.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mumbojumbo wrote:Thatcher derided those opting for he bus,and on this occasion |i at variance with her views.

Maybe, maybe not.
https://fullfact.org/news/margaret-thatcher-bus/

Jonathan
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Why spoil a good story?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I've been quoting her as saying "over 40" for years!

: - )

Jonathan