short break tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
newbootclimbco

short break tour

Post by newbootclimbco »

Hi guys, I'm looking for a shortish tour from Wimborne, Dorset to, Say, Brighton,Newhaven,Billinghurst,Liphook,Andover,salisbury and back to Wimborne, I have 7 days ish hoping to get Air N B/ B and B or Hostels ? cycling about 55 miles a day. I would prefer quite roads not too hilly, any suggestions ? I am a seasoned touring rider but just need a reasonable little break. Cheers T.W.
Jamesh

Re: short break tour

Post by Jamesh »

Would it not be preferable to go west as the roads will generally be quieter?

Also second half of the week you might have some prevailing tail winds too?

Cheers James
hamster

Post by hamster »

How about down to Lymington, ferry to Yarmouth, along the IoW (north side is fairly flat), Ryde-Portsmouth ferry, then a bimble along the coast via Hayling Island and Selsey?
whoof

Post by whoof »

I ride from Bristol to Brighton from time to time.
Bristol-Bath-Sailsbury is lovely. Sailsbury to Romsey is quite nice. Romsey to Brighton is riding to get to were I'm going.

Far nicer to head for Somerset and Devon. You could ride up to Exmoor then do the Devon Coast to Coast
https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-rout ... t-to-coast
and back via South Devon.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I'm with the others - go west or north. Back in the 1960s we spoke of Solent City of the future when Portsmouth and Southampton merge. These days it is pretty much built up from Bournemouth to Brighton and a fair way inland is consequently busy. I moved away 20 years ago and when I visit Portsmouth for family purposes I am glad I don't live there any longer. If I lived there now of course I'd be more used to it, but I would still choose to go on tour in quieter areas.
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks guys for the input, decided perhaps go north then towards Bristol, so Whoof i'v ridden from Ringwood up through the new forest to Salisbury and on to Amesbury and Devises, but which route to you take after that to Bristol ?.coming back to Wimborne will use the old rail track to Bath ,canal to Bradford on Avon then through Mere,Blandford, Home. Not a long trip but better than nowt. cheers T.W
whoof

Post by whoof »

From Salisbury I would go up the Wylye Valley NCN24 to Warminster, Upton Scudamore, join NCN 254 SW of Westbury. After Rode head for Norton St Philip, Midford and then the NCN 24 which takes in the Two Tunnels and Bath Bristol Railway path.
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

How would one get back to Lymington via Hayling Island and Selsey, are there ferries to use?
Sounds like a great ride I would like to do but having ridden on the IOW I would never say it is flat, more undulating! Many thanks.
hamster

Post by hamster »

ElaineB wrote:How would one get back to Lymington via Hayling Island and Selsey, are there ferries to use?
Sounds like a great ride I would like to do but having ridden on the IOW I would never say it is flat, more undulating! Many thanks.

The section Yarmouth to Cowes is pretty flat. Agreed that east of the Medina there is never a constant gradient!

Train back via Southampton & Brockenhurst.
Alternatively the ferries with rides between: Southsea, Hamble and Hythe.
Last edited by hamster on 27 Jul 2020, 6:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

Thanks for that. I might do it in September when it could be a tad quieter. I will research the ferries, they sound wonderful.
hamster

Post by hamster »

There is a published route: it's called The 6 Ferries (includes the one over the Medina in Cowes).
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

hamster wrote:There is a published route: it's called The 6 Ferries (includes the one over the Medina in Cowes).

If it's running. Just don't turn up at a spring low tide as a combination of a newer bigger ferry to speed up operations and a new breakwater to make the harbour more secure (causing some silting in the river) means it doesn't really fit in the river.

Last time I was there we had to jump on the water taxi to the Folly, then ride back down the other side of the river. Cost about £8 and added over an hour to the journey.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
hamster

Post by hamster »

There is a cheaper way across than that! Ride down the waterside bike path (old railway line) to Newport and so on to Wootton Bridge - what you lose by following the Medina southwards you gain by cutting out the section past Osborne.
Last edited by hamster on 28 Jul 2020, 2:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamster

Post by hamster »

ElaineB wrote:Thanks for that. I might do it in September when it could be a tad quieter. I will research the ferries, they sound wonderful.

The trickiest is the Hamble one across from Warsash. Check it's running first. https://www.hambleferry.co.uk/
Last edited by hamster on 28 Jul 2020, 2:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElaineB

Post by ElaineB »

Thanks for that, I will check it out.