Coronavirus: GPs to prescribe cycling in new obesity strategy [BBC News]

Jdsk

Re: Coronavirus: GPs to prescribe cycling in new obesity strategy [BBC News]

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote:The cycling aspect seems to have got lost in more general anti-obesity stuff within about a day. What can we do to bring cycling back to the front?

As individuals?
Offer to fix bikes (see parallel thread).
Offer to lead groups (and convince others that it won't be too strenuous).
Don't knock this scheme just because much more is needed both to reduce obesity and to improve quality of life.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mjr wrote:OK. The cycling aspect seems to have got lost in more general anti-obesity stuff within about a day. What can we do to bring cycling back to the front?

The unfortunate fact is that historically, official campaigns to promote cycling, whether by government or the industry, have flopped. IMO, the only things which work - in the sense of a change of mode - are those which restrict driving. I think the most powerful has been when traffic congestion has been so severe that cycling has become a better alternative. Few UK politicians are going to propose policies to restrict car ownership and use and such restrictions which are enacted are often to speed the traffic flow. Commercial vehicle use continues to grow. This government scrapped the fuel price escalator and market forces have reduced fuel prices further.

Those are things "they" might tackle, but don't.

As UC suggests, more enforcement would help: perhaps some of Bozzer's extra 20,000 police might be deployed in that direction. I doubt it, but even the inspectorate of constabulary has woken up to the collapse of traffic policing.

viewtopic.php?p=1508569#p1508569

For there to be any significant change, there would have to be a fundamental change of the traffic law régime to recognise the danger caused by motor vehicles. Here's something I prepared recently

viewtopic.php?p=1511537#p1511537

Something "we" might do is campaign. Fifty years ago, most personal violence (numerically) was "nothing to do with the police." Campaigning reversed that. More recently, hate crime has become a priority, again through campaigning.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Repair vouchers available:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fix-your-bi ... -a-voucher

Noteworthy that last week the chancellor was giving out vouchers to spend in fast food places
This week the Health Secretary is giving out vouchers to get you on your bike.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Chris B on R4 shortly commenting on the Govt's strategy.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Oldjohnw wrote:Repair vouchers available:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fix-your-bi ... -a-voucher

Noteworthy that last week the chancellor was giving out vouchers to spend in fast food places
This week the Health Secretary is giving out vouchers to get you on your bike.

I'm pleased the naysayers, including some on here, are being proved wrong. Useful map of LBS/pseudo LBS/Bicycle Repair People too.
RH20

Post by RH20 »

The causes of obesity are many. We live in a less industrialised world where most work is of a sedentary nature.Supermarkets are awash with calories, transport is so easy. Out of the house, into car, out of car into office and so on. There are many solutions to inactivity. Perhaps a long term start is more traffic congestion, less parking spaces. We are trapped in a cycle of more road building, more bypasses to speed up traffic. The more congestion the better. If it is seen that it is quicker to cycle, walk or use better public transport, then perhaps the car would not be the transport of choice.
Fewer licences for fast food outlets, no food advertising allowed, no daytime tv. A long term change in lifestyle to try and get us all back to a more active life is needed. As long as car ownership is seen as a sign of success and food is advertised there will never be any change in obesity levels.
Fitness regimes always show people huffing and puffing, going at it like Olympic athletes, when what is needed is a focus on sustaining a whole life activity. Move more, eat less, enjoy being active.
I’m now off to my GP to get a prescription for a Pinnarello.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

GPs and PMs can prescribe cycling all they want. Until people see it as a viable means of transport, they won't do it.

At most, they'll get a few more people to put their bikes on their cars and drive to the country park once a month. The announcement to spend on infrastructure should help. But will enough councils take them up on it? Will they provide training for the safety auditors, planners, and engineers?

As far as obseity goes, it's already in danger of fat-shaming without making any progress on the issues.

The reality is that poverty is on the rise, and so is the inequality gap. High calorie, low nutrition food is promoted everywhere, and people on low incomes are often hustling to make ends meets, which means that convenience is the next highest priority to cheap.

These issues need to be dealt with to deal with the medical aspects on a population level successfully.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oldjohnw wrote:Repair vouchers available:.

What do we need to do/say to get one? Or will the NHS simply hand them out?

I've previously found the NHS tend to diagnose medical conditions over the phone from one department to another, without having met or spoken to the patient, or having any knowledge about the patients state of health :roll:

If the NHS now believe that I'm obese and have a bicycle which needs repair, will they simply send me a voucher for that repair.
mjr

Post by mjr »

gbnz wrote:

Just apply to the Energy Saving Trust at https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/ from midnight tonight.

No NHS involved in that one. They're kind of busy just now...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

mjr wrote:
gbnz wrote:

Just apply to the Energy Saving Trust at https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/ from midnight tonight.

Thanks, but....BUGGER! My PAYGO broadband connection runs out of data at 23.59 tonight :!:. Suppose it may be worth getting a low cost extension
mjr

Post by mjr »

gbnz wrote:
mjr wrote:Just apply to the Energy Saving Trust at https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/ from midnight tonight.

Thanks, but....BUGGER! My PAYGO broadband connection runs out of data at 23.59 tonight :!:. Suppose it may be worth getting a low cost extension

Well, "midnight" now seems to mean 23:45 in this case, so you've 14 minutes to try to overwhelm it with demand!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

gbnz wrote:

I've previously found the NHS tend to diagnose medical conditions over the phone from one department to another, without having met or spoken to the patient, or having any knowledge about the patients state of health :roll:

If the NHS now believe that I'm obese and have a bicycle which needs repair, will they simply send me a voucher for that repair.

Follow the link. Repair vouchers are separate from access to bikes.
John
atoz

Post by atoz »

So it's the Snake Pass, 3 times a day? Not holding my breath on that one. It will be a suggestion leisurely cycling might be a good idea. OK ,so long as green hi-viz isn't compulsory.

Just when you thought it was safe to venture out on the bike, you'll have to deal with the born again cyclists telling you where it's at...
mercalia

Roll Up, Roll Up! Get Your Free £50 here

Post by mercalia »

Vouchers will be available to customers in England at 23:45 on Tuesday 28th July 2020. Registration is currently OPEN for cycle repairers only. This scheme is only available in England.

https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/?