Pointless gesture - or simple genius?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Pointless gesture - or simple genius?

Post by simonineaston »

So, the gov. seem determined to continue with their plan to promote cycling, and part of the strategy is a £50 voucher scheme. I'm thinking that sort of money will probably pay for oiling the chain, pumping up the tyres and maybe a set of brake blocks. All of which is entirely possible at home - or used to be, back when folks were a bit more savvy. Do we think the £50 gesture is a sure fire way of kick-starting the cycling revolution, or a damp squib that will go untouched and unnoticed?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Stradageek

Re: Pointless gesture - or simple genius?

Post by Stradageek »

Strangely, I think it will help.

I repair bikes for fun (or a bottle of wine :D) for many friends, neighbours and the odd charity. It amazes me how many people cannot tackle what to my mind are the simplest issues e.g. pumping up tyres, oiling chains, adjusting brakes. But then again, I, like many on this forum have been tinkering with bikes all our lives, so the obvious problems like having the right tool or knowing the difference between a Schrader and Presta valve are second nature.

One charity brings me a dozen 'shed find' bikes every couple of months. Most have been abandoned simply because they have flat tyres but only 2% of them actually have punctures! Renovating a dozen bikes is therefore rarely more than a mornings work.

So a £50 voucher will get the vast majority of abandoned bikes back on the road - result :D
PH

Post by PH »

I don't know, I haven't looked in any detail at the proposals, and I'm distrustful that the funding will be where it's needed.
But I'm sat here with the radio on and every news bulletin has a positive cycling item. That in itself has brightened my day, just the repetition that cycling is good for you is a positive thing on it's own.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Heard Chris Boardman say on R4's Today programme earlier, that the gov.s latest initiatives are the best he's heard in his lifetime (or some such hyperbole). Now considering his and his family's cycling biography, that surely must mean soemthing - I didn't hear the full interview due to the imminent arrival of fried potatoes and wot-not, but I will listen again as soon as poss. to learn what he's all excited about...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Navara

Post by Navara »

I think the money would be better spent creating a more positive image of cycling in the UK.
One step at a time.........
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Navara wrote:I think the money would be better spent creating a more positive image of cycling in the UK.

Cycling’s image isn’t, I think, that bad and many people can imagine themselves cycling too, but they haven’t quite turned imagination into reality. What’s missing is something to turn image and imagination into riding. Many of this countries bikes are gathering dust in garages and sheds, surely any initiative that restores such bikes to roadworthy use is a big positive step towards getting people riding; the owners already have the bikes they just need a hand to get using them.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Navara

Post by Navara »

Carlton green wrote:
Navara wrote:I think the money would be better spent creating a more positive image of cycling in the UK.

Cycling’s image isn’t, I think, that bad and many people can imagine themselves cycling too, but they haven’t quite turned imagination into reality. What’s missing is something to turn image and imagination into riding. Many of this countries bikes are gathering dust in garages and sheds, surely any initiative that restores such bikes to roadworthy use is a big positive step towards getting people riding; the owners already have the bikes they just need a hand to get using them.

Good point but you have to ask why they are there gathering dust in the first place?
I think there'll be 1000s more in that state when all the C-19 fuss blows over.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

simonineaston wrote:Heard Chris Boardman say on R4's Today programme earlier, that the gov.s latest initiatives are the best he's heard in his lifetime (or some such hyperbole). Now considering his and his family's cycling biography, that surely must mean soemthing - I didn't hear the full interview due to the imminent arrival of fried potatoes and wot-not, but I will listen again as soon as poss. to learn what he's all excited about...

His main point was, summarised: "Just look at what happened over the past few months when people feel safe to cycle"
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

its sad that it takes Boris to be ill and overweight a factor to get him to make this policy. What now for the homeless and poor? Has to lose his job and become homeless ( unlikely). The Osborne evil policy of capping housing benefit is still in place meaning many of the poor have to use their meagre resources to top up their rent since rents have sky rocketed and its worse than that as many land lords wont take "dss" people due to matters like that, made worse by conditions imposed by buy-to-let mortgages lenders that stipulate conditions on tenants.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:its sad that it takes Boris to be ill and overweight a factor to get him to make this policy. What now for the homeless and poor? Has to lose his job and become homeless ( unlikely). The Osborne evil policy of capping housing benefit is still in place meaning many of the poor have to use their meagre resources to top up their rent since rents have sky rocketed and its worse than that as many land lords wont take "dss" people due to matters like that, made worse by conditions imposed by buy-to-let mortgages lenders that stipulate conditions on tenants.

...are off the streets and there are discussions about how to avoid putting them back there, aiui. We must hope that they bear fruit.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:its sad that it takes Boris to be ill and overweight a factor to get him to make this policy. What now for the homeless and poor? Has to lose his job and become homeless ( unlikely). The Osborne evil policy of capping housing benefit is still in place meaning many of the poor have to use their meagre resources to top up their rent since rents have sky rocketed and its worse than that as many land lords wont take "dss" people due to matters like that, made worse by conditions imposed by buy-to-let mortgages lenders that stipulate conditions on tenants.

...are off the streets and there are discussions about how to avoid putting them back there, aiui. We must hope that they bear fruit.

The street-sleepers are only a very small proportion, some I understand dont want to be helped. Those who struggle to pay rents due to in adequate levels of housing benefit are high & include many who are in work doing eg p/t eg single women with children.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Perhaps a voucher for basic home maintenance courses could be an extension. I've taught a good few to fix their own punctures over the years at work, people like to be empowered. It improves the cycling experience for all.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

iandriver wrote:Perhaps a voucher for basic home maintenance courses could be an extension. I've taught a good few to fix their own punctures over the years at work, people like to be empowered. It improves the cycling experience for all.

I have always wondered what they do if they get a puncture mid ride.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I don't know about cyclists' image - historically, a lot of UK has always had a bit of a downer on cyclists, regarding them as "lower class" and either renegade, or just a nuisance. You'd have thought that recent success in competition as well as the increase in the uptake of cycling as a leisure persuit over the last two decades might have done something to the way other motorists think about us, but judging by the comments in this piece, about the Highway Code in today's Guardian, that is not the case. As predicted by the cynical amongst us, complaints along the lines of "cyclists should stick to cycle lanes and not use roads..." are starting to appear, irrespective of the simple notion that not all routes have cycle lanes. ...and we're getting that old chestnut, "they should all have licence plates so they can be traced..." as well as a lot less pleasant suggestions.
My worry is - if this sort of ascerbic and aggressive criticism appears in the comments section of The Guardian, what's the rest of motoring Britain think of us??
S
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

By coincidence, elsewhere on the forum somebody is looking for a Surly Big Fat Dummy. You couldn't make it up.

viewtopic.php?p=1512655#p1512655