Reynolds nomenclature

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
printedland

Reynolds nomenclature

Post by printedland »

This is out of idle interest rather than urgent need.....

How does the numbering on Reynolds tubes work? Is there a system? In this house we currently have 531, 631 and 725. I can see that the 531 is lugged and the 631 brazed (and double-butted, I think), but what is the logic behind all the numbering?
printedland

Re: Reynolds nomenclature

Post by printedland »

531colin

Post by 531colin »

Theres all sorts of stuff on "torch and file" website, including a list of "all" the Reynolds tubes https://www.torchandfile.com/nbspReynolds-Parts-List-2020_c_74.html
The format has changed since last time I looked...... :?
David9694

Post by David9694 »

The Wikipedia entry isn’t bad either, setting out the strength and other properties of the historic line-up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_Technology

I presume when they say “legendary” 531 what they mean is that it is in fact alive, talks to you and knows every word you say?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

531 was named thus:
The magic numbers, which adorn virtually every classic racing bike with a little sticker on the seat tube, derive from the ratio of the three main elements that are used in the make up of 531’s steel alloy tubes: manganese, carbon and molybdenum.
Genius marketing :D I love the way it's described in an article I found...
won more Tour de France races than any other tube, as well as helping to win the Second World War!
It's almost as if it has a personality - can't think of any other metal-based material that has this quality.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
David9694

Post by David9694 »

I now want a 953 frame! OTP is fine. Is anyone selling?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
scottg

Post by scottg »

2nd best tubing label....

ibis.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++