Bar ends inboard of brake levers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
3speednut

Re: Bar ends inboard of brake levers

Post by 3speednut »

I have this set up on my Dawes i find it very versatile and better than drops for my needs .
IMG_20200728_192112.jpg
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

3speednut wrote:I have this set up on my Dawes i find it very versatile and better than drops for my needs .IMG_20200728_192112.jpg

That's exactly what I had in mind but with bar-end shifters on the extensions. Out of interest what bars and extensions are those and can you tell me the distance between the extensions please?
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Both the bars and bar ends are cheap unbranded old things i have had a while .The bars are north road / comfort type ,i find the swept back bar and bar ends giving a good forward reach to get more power down for hill climbing and headwinds a very good mix of hand positions and unlike drops i find this is also great in traffic/town situations .The bars are 600mm wide and the bar ends are 285mm apart centre to centre ,the diameter of the tubing of the bar ends on mine do not match that of drop handle bars ,so a bit of a bodge might be needed to get bar end gear levers to work .
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

3speednut wrote:Both the bars and bar ends are cheap unbranded old things i have had a while .The bars are north road / comfort type ,i find the swept back bar and bar ends giving a good forward reach to get more power down for hill climbing and headwinds a very good mix of hand positions and unlike drops i find this is also great in traffic/town situations .The bars are 600mm wide and the bar ends are 285mm apart centre to centre ,the diameter of the tubing of the bar ends on mine do not match that of drop handle bars ,so a bit of a bodge might be needed to get bar end gear levers to work .

Thank you that's very helpful. I think would need wider spacing of the extensions for tandem use but even on your 600mm bars there's room to go a lot wider if just using brake levers and no shifters.
3speednut

Post by 3speednut »

Glad it was useful and with the type of bar i have the bar ends are not fully round the corner so moving them out will also angle the bar ends even farther out .
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

your problem may be fitting the shifters to the bar ends - there might well be a size issue!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
RJS

Post by RJS »

My answer, bodge, to this, was to join a short length from a drop bar to a barend with a jubiliegh clip, to take the bar end shifter.
Chers, Rob.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

foxyrider wrote:your problem may be fitting the shifters to the bar ends - there might well be a size issue!

Yes I had thought of this and would choose the extensions accordingly. Thanks
gaz

Post by gaz »

mattsccm wrote:... You could also consider the Cinelli Spinacis ...

Spinaci certainly work on drops.
Worth noting that a Shimano bar-end will not fit the internal diameter of the Spinaci tube. Not a problem as the wedge can simply expand directly into the clamp.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

iandusud wrote:
foxyrider wrote:your problem may be fitting the shifters to the bar ends - there might well be a size issue!

As well as the diameter, you'll also want the end couple of inches of the bar end to be straight - no kick up at the end like 3speednut's
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

simonineaston wrote:
Thanks but wouldn't give me the leverage necessary on a tandem at high speed.
I know from my own experience that that is true... they fit into the category of, "not great - but better than not having them"!

I found that the crosstop levers were better than the drop levers I was using them with.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

andrew_s wrote:
iandusud wrote:

As well as the diameter, you'll also want the end couple of inches of the bar end to be straight - no kick up at the end like 3speednut's

I was thinking of something like these:
Attachments
barend_comp_short_my2020.jpg
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

These handle bars might do the trick
https://www.cyclingabout.com/koga-denham-bars/

The bars are compatible with bar end shifters but in the text the designer explains why it isn't the best setup.
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

Look at Velo orange crazy bars they are the right dimentions to fit bar end shifters, they are just what you are describing.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Funnily enough it was the Denham bars and Crazy bars that got me thinking about this!