Pointless gesture - or simple genius?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Pointless gesture - or simple genius?

Post by kwackers »

My local bike shop charged me £2 to swap out a broken spoke - I wouldn't even slacken the wheel off for that.
£50 is 25 spokes...

I've been watching "Engels Coach Shop" on YouTube (fascinating channel around the wheelwright trade - that's horse drawn not bicycles).
I notice he charges $9 to replace the spoke on a buggy wheel which involves a fair amount of work. Bet you couldn't buy the wood in B&Q for that let alone machine it into a spoke shaped object and then dismantle, fit and rebuild the wheel.

So perhaps it's just spokes - competitive business and all that...
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

mercalia wrote:
iandriver wrote:Perhaps a voucher for basic home maintenance courses could be an extension. I've taught a good few to fix their own punctures over the years at work, people like to be empowered. It improves the cycling experience for all.

I have always wondered what they do if they get a puncture mid ride.

Mostly not venture that far and push it if they have a problem. They are normally overjoyed to be free of the fear.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

mercalia wrote:I have always wondered what they do if they get a puncture mid ride.

Wait for a cyclist to come along. :lol:

Then if it was me I'd say get some Marathon Plus and this probably :!: won't ever happen.

The only downside is they aren't cheap tyres and the kind of people getting talked about in this thread, spend what those cost on a complete bike. Also these same people (and a lot of us!) hate putting tyres on and off, especially if it's a brand new pair of M+.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:
iandriver wrote:Perhaps a voucher for basic home maintenance courses could be an extension. I've taught a good few to fix their own punctures over the years at work, people like to be empowered. It improves the cycling experience for all.

I have always wondered what they do if they get a puncture mid ride.

They walk home or to the shop. Have you never asked?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
dodger

Post by dodger »

The sad fact about bikes languishing in sheds and garages is that people who try to go cycling or get back to it are put off by the perception (and reality) of danger on the roads.
Unless motorists are forced to accept that cyclists have an equal right to be on the roads through legislation (such as presumption that in a collision, the motor vehicle must prove they are not culpable) then there will be many more bikes sitting idle.
During lockdown cycling on roads was far more pleasurable than now so I guess our virgin and returned cyclists will by now be reverting to cars, and who can blame them?
I've been cycling for 60 years and am unhappy to be on many roads even here in supposedly sleepy Cornwall. As a youngster I used to cycle all over on all roads without fear, but now I plan journeys carefully to avoid traffic as much as possible. It could be that I've just grown more cautious with experience.
So if tubby BoJo wants us back on our bikes the government must legislate to introduce ways of making cycling safer.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I hear it (the claim site) crashed due to heavy demand last night...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

The French govt. did a similar thing a month back, 50€ to fix your bike. I don't believe there was a limit on the number.

Seems a good idea to me but more important is getting 'real' cycling routes in towns and cities, not just some white paint on the road.
If car and bike traffic could be separated then I'd think it fair to fine cyclists if they chose not to use them.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

People can find £20k for a car, but they can't find £50 for some bike repairs? A bit like all those on Twitter who can't ride a bike because it rains.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

axel_knutt wrote:People can find £20k for a car, but they can't find £50 for some bike repairs? A bit like all those on Twitter who can't ride a bike because it rains.

By and large they can't, which is why PCPs are now the overwhelming method of purchase.