Newbee

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paul utb

Newbee

Post by Paul utb »

Hello,

My name is Paul, I have just joined the group and would like to say hello to you all.
I live in a Town called Billingham on Teesside in the North East.
I have only been into cycling for 18 month really even though I have always had bikes, I now own a helmet & a decent bike.

I am looking at doing Lejog May / June 21, so I intend to read through the notes, with the hope of learning and finding a route.

I will thank you all in advance of any help / advice I will come across

Many thanks

Paul
Jdsk

Re: Newbee

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome

Jonathan
peetee

Post by peetee »

Welcome and good luck with your plans. I know Billingham. I lived in Norton when I was young and used to go swimming every weekend in the Forum or the old baths then walk home through ‘billy bottoms’ and across the railway. It was four tracks back then and a true ‘rite of passage’ :wink: .
I imagine there are some good cycling roads not too far away but someone local to you will pop up in a min and take that conversation further, I’m sure.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Paul utb

Post by Paul utb »

Thanks Jonathon
Paul utb

Post by Paul utb »

Hi Peetee

Thanks for the welcome

Yeah your right a bout good cycle rides.
I go over the Cleveland Hills a lot, some nice rids towards Whitby , im looking forward to the challenge , like I say I've alway had bikes from a kid, it's only been around 18 month that I have taken to cycling, even bought a helmet.

When did you move and where too?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Moved a long time ago. 1980, I think. Moved about a bit and now about as far west as you could go. Depending on your route you might well get within 150 yards of my front door on LEJOG. :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Paul utb wrote:I go over the Cleveland Hills a lot, some nice rids towards Whitby , im looking forward to the challenge , like I say I've alway had bikes from a kid, it's only been around 18 month that I have taken to cycling, even bought a helmet.

?

Hi Paul and welcome
I’m a Thornaby born lad , now in Scotland, the countryside I cycled in as a child is all full of houses now :(
I’m probably going to take one of my infrequent rides over to Whitby next week and I’ve been looking at approaching the Tees from the North. I usually approach from Darlington or a Northallerton direction.
Can you tell me which crossing you favour heading over from Billingham. Transporter, Newport, or upto Stockton?
TIA Local knowledge is always good :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Paul utb

Post by Paul utb »

Thanks for the welcome.

Is that Ingleby Barwick by any chance?

TBH I can't tell you which route i prefer due to the fact I have only rode the full distance to Whitby the once, it was last year when I was just getting to grips with long cycle rides.

From Billingham I joined the cycle path along River Tees from Newport Bridge towards Stockton, made my way onto cycle path on A135 Through Ingleby Barwick to High Leven, then I made my way to GT Ayton via Seamer, Easby, Kildale, commondale,Danby,Glaisdale,Egton,Grosmont,Slieghts,Ruswarp A1410, cross River Esk, 1st left on Glen Esk Road changes name to Larpool Lane - then on to Spital Bridge which took me to the Whitby Bridge.

Don't know which route you take but I enjoyed this route ,it follows the the railway route from Middlesbrough to Whitby, I found it enjoyable but difficult going at times ,I attempted all hills but unfortunately had to give in to some, I'd like to think when I do it again I would nt find it as difficult, fingers crossed.
Paul utb

Post by Paul utb »

Hi peetee

I have nt decided on the route yet, im hoping to gain much needed info from posts on the site ,im open to any suggestions / recommendations , im enjoying reading peoples experiences , what area are you based?
peetee

Post by peetee »

I’m about 25 miles from Lands End.
Paul utb

Post by Paul utb »

Nodout you see bikes passing your front door regular then?
peetee

Post by peetee »

Yes, but not LEJOG riders. Mostly off-roaders heading for the mine trails.