All of a sudden I'm doing a LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
PaulaT

Re: All of a sudden I'm doing a LEJOG

Post by PaulaT »

Brianjeff50 wrote:On kit again: worth having a winter jacket? Leggings? That sort of stuff. Out here in Suffolk rain doesn’t come often and when it does we stay indoors :wink:

A winter jacket may be too warm for September. As I said go with layers. You can wear your waterproof as a wind blocker on cooler days. Leggings/bib tights are a good idea. Most of the ones you see advertised tend to be thermal winter tights which again you'll probably find too warm for the time of year. I used to have a pair of bib tights which where plain Lycra and just added that extra little bit of warmth. I found them ideal for spring and summer especially in the rain. I've yet to source a decent replacement though. I've got some Lycra leg warmers but they don't stay up very well on me and the silicone grip isn't comfortable but they obviously work for a lot of people so might work for you..
whoof

Post by whoof »

Brianjeff50 wrote:I think it’s starting to come together - largely common ground through Cornwall and Devon but some differences near Bristol.
Mickf seems to favour sticking with the A38 for a long stretch while others are diverting all around.
Is there an onward route that takes in Cheddar Gorge or am I diverting to ‘bag’ a hill?
:wink:

Cheddar East of Bristol and then towards the Severn. If you look at the previous route I posted this goes to Loxton which is about 6 km from Cheddar. Just need to go to Cross, Axbridge then Cheddar (on the road not the NCN 26). Someone previous posted a route that goes from Chew Valley Lake to Saltford on the NCN 410. The start and finish point at the same but the Saltford Way is hillier.

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/169816
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Given that this is my first attempt at this sort of thing I might skip Cheddar (the tourists will jeer next!) and aim for a possible stop at a Travelodge at Portishead maybe.
I’ll assess how fit I am as I go and should know by then if the Wye Valley is the way (it’s lovely I know) or via Gloucester. Availability of accommodation might determine all anyway.

Still fretting about kit though!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Brianjeff50 wrote:Given that this is my first attempt at this sort of thing I might skip Cheddar (the tourists will jeer next!) and aim for a possible stop at a Travelodge at Portishead maybe.
I’ll assess how fit I am as I go and should know by then if the Wye Valley is the way (it’s lovely I know) or via Gloucester. Availability of accommodation might determine all anyway.

Still fretting about kit though!

If you look at my first map LE/Bristol it goes within a couple of Km of Portishead. Just need to turn left at Clapton in Gordano and then rejoin the next day by taking the NCN 26/334 to meet up with the 410 at Portbury. The 26 that joins up with the crossing of the Avon used to be an unsurfaced path (I don't go that way anymore as I use the 410 so it may have changed) but even if now surfaced it goes past an uninspiring industrial estate full of 1000s of parked car.

My kit for B&B touring
Hat
Buff
Sunglasses
Light waterproof jacket
2 x running t-shirts
Light fleece
Light down jacket
short sleeved cycling top
2 x cycling shorts
Arms/Legs/thin wooly gloves
1 X Boxer shorts
1 X trouser (where the legs zip off to make shorts)
2 x socks
SPD shoes
flip flops.
Garmin/spare AA batteries/usb charger
Phone/paper maps
tooth brush/paste/sun cream/sudacreme/ear plugs
String and 6-8 pegs
reading glasses
allen keys/ inner tubes/tyre levers/puncture repair kit/joining link/chain splitter/8 mm spanner/Leatherman Micra/spoke key/cable ties/tyre boot and The knowledge to use them.
2 x 750 ml bottles
Front and read light.
Very small 'café' lock
Money/cards
A bit of food. Banana/muesli bar
If planning to go then; swimming trunks, goggles and neoprene swimming hat.
Edit and pump.
Last edited by whoof on 29 Jul 2020, 2:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Looking at the Ardgay to Invershin section via Culrain. Whilst this routing is on an attractive tortuous single track road it also includes a flight of stairs at the railway bridge over the river.The alternative via Bonar Bridge is a little shorter and wider allowing good progress throughout, also there is a general store in Bonar which stocks snacks and drinks.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

With regards kit, as others have said layers are the way to go. I dislike cycling in waterproof trousers and for the odd shower that's fine but wind chill can be a real hazard in prolonged rain. You'd be lucky not to have at least one or two wet days and in September you can expect just about anything, especially as you head further north.

I did lejog in May/June and my basic kit was two pairs of bib shorts and two short sleeved jerseys (Two of each allows for a one on and one in the wash strategy) This together with a medium weight waterproof jacket sufficed for warmish days. For cooler days I had Roubaix bib tights and a long sleeved compression top which I wore beneath the short sleeved jerseys. I also had a fleece top that was for evening wear but could also be worn on the bike for extra warmth, it was also useful to avoid chilling when stopping for meal breaks etc. If it was really wet I had a pair of lightweight waterproof trousers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Useful list from whoof above, and there are lots of others on the Web.

As you're not camping, mine would differ in:

Sandals in which you can cycle if necessary, rather than flip flops.
Thicker fleece rather than down jacket.
Warm tights.
Long sleeved shirt, one fewer T shirt and pair of shorts.
Swimming trunks would be wearable for cycling.
Wet weather gloves as well as lightweight gloves.
A big lock and cable.
A twisted pair elastic clothes line rather than a line and pegs.
Medical kit.
Basin plug.
Kindle.

Jonathan
Lilyf

Post by Lilyf »

75E37D7A-9C2A-42F3-BD33-C6418FCE680C.jpeg

These are the steps that Ron has mentioned (a few posts earlier). They are dreadful. They involve taking all your luggage off your bike and carrying it and your bike down this set of steps. You then reload your bike to push along the walkway before having to repeat the process at the other end - as there is another set of steps. As mentioned it would be easier to stay on the A836 from Bonar Bridge.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Brianjeff50 wrote:Next big question: kit. Specifically wet weather gear.

I appreciate there will be bad days but I don’t want to drag arctic survival gear around for ten days to see me through four or five cold wet and windy ones.

At present I have a lightweight rain jacket and, er, that’s it. Various long and short sleeve tops and base layers including a brilliant merino which keeps me warm all winter.

What’s the advice?

Warm and wet is fine if warm and dry isn't possible!
Mudguards to keep the spray off you - you get wetter from below than you do from above and roads stay wet longer than it rains so it can be a nice sunny post-downpour day but you'll still be getting soaked from the wet road. Mudguards solve a lot of those issues.

There are plenty of thin(ish) lightweight waterproof jackets on the market, you won't need a thick softshell or anything. If it's cold, layer up beneath it, if it's warm you can sometimes get away with not even bothering to put the waterproof on, just ride through a light rain shower and dry out.

Depends on how you're affected by rain and cold. Some jackets - for example the Gabba that everyone seems to rave about - are designed to be worn during hard efforts in pouring rain (like racing in Belgium!), it does not work if you're pootling along a cycle path at minimal effort, you need to go for more of a commuter style slightly heavier waterproof so work out what your requirements are. Worth checking the long-range forecast before you go and seeing what sort of jacket you need to take. I did a LEJOG one year and the forecast was so good I only took a lightweight windshell. Ended up only needing that on a cold morning, the rest of the time it was beautiful weather.

Ultimately, you'll only know what you need by riding in the rain and knowing how it affects you. So many people turn up at LE having hit the turbo trainer at the first sign of inclement weather and they have no idea of how to ride in wind, rain or cold, no clue about clothing or bike handling in tricky conditions.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever combo of clothing you decide on put in an extra layer for when you get to Scotland :)
I’ve come across a number of people who’ve bought another clothing item after crossing the border.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

I can’t thank you all individually so I’ll thank you all here for your advice. I’ll pretty much follow the Wimps’ route which will hopefully work well for this old wimp too.
I’m reassured about kit - though disappointed I can’t justify a big spend up on new gear.
One way car hire to Penzance is booked, now it’s time to start bagging accommodation.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Lilyf wrote:These are the steps that Ron has mentioned (a few posts earlier). They are dreadful.

Thanks Lilyf, I knew I'd seen a photo somewhere!
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

rareposter wrote:Ultimately, you'll only know what you need by riding in the rain and knowing how it affects you. So many people turn up at LE having hit the turbo trainer at the first sign of inclement weather and they have no idea of how to ride in wind, rain or cold, no clue about clothing or bike handling in tricky conditions.

Those are such good points.
peetee

Post by peetee »

puffin wrote:Here is my route, its mostly quiet roads with some exceptions and a few too many hills. The software may have recalculated bits when i joined all the days together so if you are still interested i can link to the daily ones. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31517493

Best wishes.

Something a bit strange on your map; an unnecessary loop in Pool (Cornwall, just after Camborne). Also in Redruth you are directed to a footbridge over a railway which could be a bit tricky with a loaded bike. I suggest a few extra yards via Drump Road and Cardrew Way. Also a couple of miles later take the old road through Blackwater rather than the A30.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Local lockdowns now an issue?
Alternative routes for plan B & C?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.