Bike rack for car.

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
JollyRoger

Bike rack for car.

Post by JollyRoger »

Wow! I have just been reintroduced to bikes after 30 years of not riding one and it is brilliant! I have recently bought a hybrid 3.9 focus crater lake bike which weighs 13kg. My partner has just bought an Urban electric pedal assist bike which weighs approx 26kg.
My question is ... I have just bought a car rack (boot mounted) which will take a total weight of 45kg. However, on the internet I have noticed that some sites suggest that boot mounted racks are not suitable for an e bike. It suggests that a bike for a boot rack shouldn’t be over 15kg. I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this as I don’t want to use it if it will damage my car or even worse cause an accident!! Much appreciated.
stodd

Re: Bike rack for car.

Post by stodd »

It's the weight that matters, not whether it is an e-bike. (I'd be inclined to remove the battery anyway for carriage, which will help with the weight.)

I see even the Thule RaceWay 3 which is specified for 45kg says max 15kg per bike, same for Halford's Mistral 3. As long as the heavy bike is mounted closest to the car I can't think why the single bike being (well) over 15kg should matter.

There could possibly be legal complications in case of an accident it you were outside the specs, even if that didn't really have anything to do with it.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Thank you for the advice. I’ve decided not to risk it having it on the back. I wouldn’t cope well if anything happened and it fell off! I’m going to use the Mistral for my own bike (13kg) and out the e bike in the back of the car... until I can afford a tow bar and Thule tow bar mounted rack!
:—)
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

When you’re looking to buy, don’t overlook Pendle racks. They are super sturdy and up to the extra weight of e bikes.
They make a number of different styles too! I had the 4 bike wheel carrier and now an old, but still going strong, towball carrier.
https://pendle-bike.co.uk/collections/t ... nted-racks
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

fivebikes wrote:When you’re looking to buy, don’t overlook Pendle racks. They are super sturdy and up to the extra weight of e bikes.
They make a number of different styles too! I had the 4 bike wheel carrier and now an old, but still going strong, towball carrier.
https://pendle-bike.co.uk/collections/t ... nted-racks

Me too, the type with two demountable vertical bars. Takes three bikes. Tucks away in the boot without taking much space. Over 20y of use so far.

Jonathan
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

JollyRoger

However, on the internet I have noticed that some sites suggest that boot mounted racks are not suitable for an e bike. It suggests that a bike for a boot rack shouldn’t be over 15kg. I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this as I don’t want to use it if it will damage my car or even worse cause an accident!! Much appreciated.

Saw this e bike compatible rack from Halfords, most wont take the weight of a single bike over 15kg this one takes 25kg. There are still a lot of bloated e bikes that would still be to heavy though.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-r ... 36262.html
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

I think I’d worry about the car boot lid and glass taking the weight, even if the rack could! Some cars use quite lightweight materials and construction methods for body panels. I remember seeIng a Citroen rear hatch drop off when a flying stone shattered the glass which held the hinges that secured it to the car body!
philg

Post by philg »

Some cars won't allow the fitting of that type of carrier at all so need to check the manufacturer's recommendations.

My goto supplier for roof racks and bike carriers is this lot - competitive prices and very quick delivery.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers ... unting.php

Current one is the tow ball mounted Buzz Rack Sparky 2 which they don't sell any more (though they do the 3)
It is rated at 2 x 25kg and is excellent.
A useful facility is the whole lot can pivot down to allow boot access, though I guess most do that.

Their Cruz roof bars and carriers are also excellent value compared to the Thule ones I've had previously
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

JollyRoger wrote:Thank you for the advice. I’ve decided not to risk it having it on the back. I wouldn’t cope well if anything happened and it fell off! I’m going to use the Mistral for my own bike (13kg) and out the e bike in the back of the car... until I can afford a tow bar and Thule tow bar mounted rack!
:—)

Even with towbars, there are considerations.

First is the car being rated for a tow-bar (or at least a tow-hitch used as a bike carrier, if not full towing). For cars made from 1998 onwards, tow-bars require a car to have a manufacturer rating - no rating, then not allowed a tow-bar.

Second is the maximum nose load on the tow-bar for that car. For a bike carrier, that sets the maximum all up weight of bikes and rack. For some cars that's only 50kg.

Third is the rack weight. Some are lighter than others. I have an Atera rack, in part because it slides clear of the boot opening, and in part because its relatively light for a wheel-supporting tow-bar rack. But that's still 14.5kg. Some non-sliding racks are lighter. And racks which don't support the wheels are lighter (but suspect not suitable for electrics, with a lot of weight swinging around as a pendulum).

Fourth will be the load rating of the rack. My rack is 45kg total carrying weight, with space for three bikes.

Finally, loading, from a leverage point of view, putting the heavier bikes nearest to the tow-bar helps.

With your suggested bike weights of 13+26kg, you might struggle to be under a total 50kg "nose weight" if that's the value for your car. Obviously cutting weight, such as removing batteries will help.

A light trailer might be an alternative if unable to meet rack weight limits.

I'd agree with looking at Roofbox as a supplier. Stuff comes quickly, and they've dealt with a warranty claim from roof bar parts failure very efficiently, which is a real test of supplier quality.

- Nigel