A mask in your bike bag?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Post by Tangled Metal »

The classic innate rights argument has been used! Right out of the usa anti maskers playbook. Well I have news for you that a shop is private property, if you want you go on private property but they insist on you wearing a mask then you wear your mask or you could be asked to leave. Failure to do so when requested could result in the store calling the police.

You have no right to be on private property without the authority to do so. That is where the enforcement if it happens comes from. I really hope you get shown that legal situation first hand one day mr TUC.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The trouble with every 'classic innate rights' argument is that it fails to suggest a solution when my 'innate rights' conflict with yours. Other than 'suck it up, loser.' A few of those who use this argument may even not be aware of that, but only a few.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:The trouble with every 'classic innate rights' argument is that it fails to suggest a solution when my 'innate rights' conflict with yours. Other than 'suck it up, loser.' A few of those who use this argument may even not be aware of that, but only a few.

As had been said, the shop owner’s right to not to let you in/serve you/ ask you to leave is top of the tree here.
I just thought in starting this thread in these warm days carrying a buff to serve as a mask would be sensible, should you need or want to get something from a shop on a ride.

I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition!
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
mjr

Post by mjr »

David9694 wrote:I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition!

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Our chief weapon is surprise... and masks!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

mjr wrote:
David9694 wrote:I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition!

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Our chief weapon is surprise... and masks!

I would say
"Bring on the comfy saddle"

but this thread has got heated already so I don't want to raise a really contentious issue
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Keep mine in my shirt pocket, keep hand gel too in my pocket or on the bike.

Quite happy to wear a mask while having a haircut earlier today (though boy it did get warm in there!). Hairdresser also wearing one of those perspex face coverings. Can't be too careful in my view.

Also happy to leave my name and phone no. in case needed for track and trace.

I suspect the anti - xxxx brigade consists mainly, or wholly, of people who haven't been affected by Covid and don't know anyone who has, or who had it mildly and thinks that's OK. It isn't, I have a relative who had it mildly at the beginning (she's a doctor's receptionist). Just come out of hospital after emergency treatment for a Covid-related "knock-on", will be on medication for the rest of her life and still having difficulty breathing during recovery from the procedure.

Just something to think about, in case you were getting complacent.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:The classic innate rights argument has been used! Right out of the usa anti maskers playbook. Well I have news for you that a shop is private property, if you want you go on private property but they insist on you wearing a mask then you wear your mask or you could be asked to leave. Failure to do so when requested could result in the store calling the police.

You have no right to be on private property without the authority to do so. That is where the enforcement if it happens comes from. I really hope you get shown that legal situation first hand one day mr TUC.

We're agreeing again :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

David9694 wrote: .........I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition!

One should always expect the unexpected :wink:
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:The classic innate rights argument has been used! Right out of the usa anti maskers playbook. Well I have news for you that a shop is private property, if you want you go on private property but they insist on you wearing a mask then you wear your mask or you could be asked to leave. Failure to do so when requested could result in the store calling the police.

I'm starting to enjoy agreeing with you. Can we have Corbyn back I want to see if supporting his politics is also fun. You don't know until you try!! :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I'm starting to enjoy agreeing with you. Can we have Corbyn back I want to see if supporting his politics is also fun. You don't know until you try!! :lol:

Well not wanting to get on a political drift but,one only need take a lok at what we've got to realise there's been terrible mistake made :shock: :?
W H Auden