Difference between men’s and women’s bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PaulaT

Re: Difference between men’s and women’s bike

Post by PaulaT »

Mike_GMT80 wrote: I agree to a certain extent but given that I reckon 95% of bikes sold (especially at the price point I am looking at) are to people who don’t even know what a crank is I don’t think it’s a massive issue. According to stava I’ve done about 330 miles in a month on my bro’s old bike which has been dumped in my garage for the last 7 years. Don’t have a clue of frame size, crank, etc. Just dusted it off and started riding...Been totally fine. Now it may be that I’m been lucky and his bike is perfect for me, but it may also be that given I’m not doing 4 hour time trails the less than optimum sizing isn’t and issue. I’m definitely all about detail, just in this instance don’t think it’ll impact much for my intended use.

It doesn't need to be a time trial. You can damage your knees whilst leisure riding. But having said that about 90% of males are OK with 170mm cranks. 5% could use a longer crank. 5% of males and 50% of women really need a shorter crank. So at your height you're within the main male range. BTW you may well find your "intended use" changes quicker than you'd think. Back in the midsts of time I bought a bike to get a bit of exercise but it quickly escalated into riding with a club, cycle touring around with all my camping gear and doing 200K audaxes. Once you get the cycling bug you're well and truly bitten :D
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Having trouble ordering via decathlon website. Any tips? Stayed up until delivery slots released at 11pm, and then I finally get to payment page there are no actual options to select from, so can't proceed further
Mike_GMT80

Post by Mike_GMT80 »

Just to update everyone on this...couldn’t get a delivery slot for the women’s RC520 last night so called my local decathlon today who just happened to have delivered that moment a men’s RC500...so bought that and some accessories with the left over cycle to work voucher. Took it for a quick ride earlier today and am well happy.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have fun.

Jonathan
Spangles

Post by Spangles »

Putting this here in case it’s useful for someone who finds this thread through search.

Out of interest I compared the specs for the Trek Marlin 6 2021 models.

The men’s and women’s models seem to be based on the same frame - for both genders the XS and S have a dip in the top tube and shorter reach brake levers. The size naming is the same across the Marlin range from XS to XL, except that the women’s variants aren’t produced above the M/L sizing. In other ranges I think the M/L would be labelled as an L or XL for women.

What is different in the women’s model:
The paint colours are different.
It’s a woman’s saddle.
The stems step down in size but are consistently 10mm shorter for women in each size, which slightly changes the actual geometry.
The XS for both genders has a narrower handlebar, but also the women’s S.
If the bike is set up by a Trek dealer, I expect the suspension is tuned for a lighter rider on a woman’s model.

I must admit there are fewer differences than I expected. But if you need a new bike, it would cost something to get a woman’s saddle and a shorter stem, so you may as well get the women’s version .