Wheel nut size ( for a Eazi-rider City e-bike )

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rob1234

Wheel nut size ( for a Eazi-rider City e-bike )

Post by rob1234 »

hi all ,,i have a little folding e bike eazi -rider city e bike ,,i have stripped the thread on one of the wheel nuts and am unsure what size to order the spindle is 12mm i ordered 12mmx 1.5 pitch and they dont fit i have now ordered 12mmx1.25 but still waiting does anyone know on here what is the correct size ,,,thanks
Attachments
IMG_20200730_121509.jpg
20200730_124121.jpg
Eyebrox

Re: Wheel nut size ( for a Eazi-rider City e-bike )

Post by Eyebrox »

Take the other nut along to bike shop. Maybe with the axle too. The axle can be 9, 10 or 12mm, the thread can vary too. The nut will likely fit a 15mm spanner. But the shop will solve it from their box of bits.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the photo of a ruler next to the axle is very useful and shows the threading to be about 20tpi, which is very close to 1.25mm pitch. So you have a fair chance that M12x1.25 is the correct thread; it certainly isn't 1.5mm pitch.

However whenever a nut strips its thread the matching part (axle in this case) is unlikely to be completely unscathed, so unless the axle is very much harder than the nut (as is the case say, with a Sturmey Archer hub), the new nut may bind a little or perhaps not work at all even with the correct nut fitted.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rob1234

Post by rob1234 »

Brucey wrote:the photo of a ruler next to the axle is very useful and shows the threading to be about 20tpi, which is very close to 1.25mm pitch. So you have a fair chance that M12x1.25 is the correct thread; it certainly isn't 1.5mm pitch.

However whenever a nut strips its thread the matching part (axle in this case) is unlikely to be completely unscathed, so unless the axle is very much harder than the nut (as is the case say, with a Sturmey Archer hub), the new nut may bind a little or perhaps not work at all even with the correct nut fitted.

cheers

hi thanks for this ,,i think your correct ,,but it looks a bit of a challenge finding a new wheel its a 16* i will try a die nut failing that i think the bike will be scrap or move the good parts to another bike
rob1234

Post by rob1234 »

Eyebrox wrote:Take the other nut along to bike shop. Maybe with the axle too. The axle can be 9, 10 or 12mm, the thread can vary too. The nut will likely fit a 15mm spanner. But the shop will solve it from their box of bits.

hi i have been to all the local bike shops ,,no chance they said ,,its a 12mm ,,its a 19mm spanner that fits it
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rob1234 wrote:
Eyebrox wrote:Take the other nut along to bike shop. Maybe with the axle too. The axle can be 9, 10 or 12mm, the thread can vary too. The nut will likely fit a 15mm spanner. But the shop will solve it from their box of bits.

hi i have been to all the local bike shops ,,no chance they said ,,its a 12mm ,,its a 19mm spanner that fits it

Hmmm... it's true that for normal metric nuts a 19mm across-face wrench will fit an M12 nut. But didn't they measure anything or see which bolt fitted?

Jonathan