The End of the Atomic Vicar. Inevitable!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

The End of the Atomic Vicar. Inevitable!!

Post by PDQ Mobile »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53595839

Screen shot in case they edit.
image.jpg
reohn2

Re: The End of the Atomic Vicar. Inevitable!!

Post by reohn2 »

They've always been bad for your health anyway,so best ended soonest mended :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lots of jobs until 2083 :?
Hedd Wyn must be turning in his grave
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

reohn2 wrote:They've always been bad for your health anyway,so best ended soonest mended :wink:

A darn sight less bad for your health than literally any other method of electricity production.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
reohn2 wrote:They've always been bad for your health anyway,so best ended soonest mended :wink:

A darn sight less bad for your health than literally any other method of electricity production.

I’m pro-nuclear but there are historic and ongoing issues with the handling, storage and disposal of radioactive material that never seem to go away. With that in mind I’m puzzled that alternative nuclear fuel types haven’t been used, but no doubt there are political and commercial pressures involved. The Magnox Stations always seemed sensible to me in that a multitude of smaller Stations has benefits over fewer but larger ones.

If to some extent weather dependant Wind and Solar seem better, to me, for health than any other power source. Coal, gas and oil generation all have emissions problems and coal creates a whole load of other problems too (like slag heaps and subsidence). Nuclear is better than fossil fuels? Well to an extent it’s a race to the bottom but give me modern Nuclear any day, and can we sort out better fuel and reactor types please.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The regulations around nuclear power make it orders of magnitude safer than any other generation.

To follow the regulations properly quite a lot of general waste should be locked up.

The biggest issues have been that nuclear power stations have historically been used for nuclear weapons production. Without that requirement there are safer designs available.

Current breeds will take spent fuel and use that as a source, there really is no better baseload source.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Re: The End of the Atomic Rector. Inevitable!!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Saving' energy, or rather not using it in the first place, is best, simples
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

I meant vicars :wink:
W H Auden
[XAP]Bob

Re: The End of the Atomic Rector. Inevitable!!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:'Saving' energy, or rather not using it in the first place, is best, simples

Ah yes, but even doing that we still need production to maintain the massive social benefits of the 21st century.

And I’d far rather have that production from a nuclear plant than other generation options.

Given that we are moving towards transport electrification we will still need a substantial amount of energy to be generated around the country. Ideally we’d develop ISO container based “micro nukes”. Small power plants that don’t contain enough material to be an attractive target, but are easily brought online anywhere. Small size means that active cooling is not required, so they can sit generating quite happily for many many years - maybe only a few MW, but widely distributed- lower losses in the grid, combine them with grid scale battery packs and you have a rather neat package.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No no, distribution and mix are needed, solar, small wind, heat from the earth, and offshore wind, tidal
And much less motorised travel by whatever means

Laws and nudging to use less energy, ban bottled water, issue a free warm garment to each citizen
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Atomic vicars seem more easily disposed of though.
A quick graveside eulogy and the worms do the rest!
(Initial typo now sadly corrected :shock: )

Traws has not generated a Watt of leccy since 1991.
Is actually a substantial consumer like most big industrial sites.

And it still has a workforce numbering hundreds.
Some of whom are quite highly paid.
And this is likely to continue until 2083.
92 years!

No figures (that I can find) are available for the total amount of leccy generated over the less than 30 years it actually generated power.
Initial construction cost in the Sixties was £109 million.

I suppose full bore at two times the 235MW for each of it's turbines would give a total production figure.
But it would be wildly optimistic because one reactor was shut down several times especially in the later years. And sometimes both.

I shall leave that calculation to better mathematical brains.

My guess is that it was not economic, overall.
But that other interests were fullfilled.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trawsfy ... er_station
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

What we need is reverting to the 15th century, but since no one is willing to suggest that what we need to do is the safest and cleanest option. Which is nuclear.

It has killed far fewer people than solar, wind, tidal, coal, oil, gas, battery tech....
It is also a massively over regulated industry (which has been reasonable - you take excess precautions when any industry is in its infancy, particularly when you look at the history of development).
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The regulations around nuclear power make it orders of magnitude safer than any other generation.

To follow the regulations properly quite a lot of general waste should be locked up.

The biggest issues have been that nuclear power stations have historically been used for nuclear weapons production. Without that requirement there are safer designs available.

Current breeds will take spent fuel and use that as a source, there really is no better baseload source.

Plus one.

Basically modified Nuclear is the way to go but sadly it isn’t a route that will be taken - it’s a most remote possibility. Couple a load of small Stations to Storage Units and you have an ideal base-load and back-up power supply. Of course I would like to see renewables in the power generation mix too and that’s just what we need, a mixture that complements other elements of its make up.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

PDQ mobile

Send it to Private Eye. They will understand the point you were making - typo rectors instead of reactors - and I've a feeling you may get a tenner, unless somebody has beaten you to it.

(Matthew 7:6)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: .......(Matthew 7:6)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S. thread drift happens.........
W H Auden