Anti-Pollution Mask & Cycling Glasses

HealthyCycling

Anti-Pollution Mask & Cycling Glasses

Post by HealthyCycling »

So people generally wear one or the other, is there a way I can make use of both at the same time? I look at the health concerns of not using either so I am looking for some advice.

Thank you in advance
thirdcrank

Re: Anti-Pollution Mask & Cycling Glasses

Post by thirdcrank »

Glasses are for your eyes and masks of the type relevant here - ie not the Lone Ranger style - cover the nose and mouth. I don't understand what point you are making.
HealthyCycling

Post by HealthyCycling »

Haha, yes glasses protect eyes, anti-pollution mask have a filter to protect you from inhaling harmful pollutants.

Masks can cause glasses to steam up, rather than choosing glasses or mask, I am asking for some advice on ways to protect eyes and inhalation at the same time, how it can be done without problems?
Last edited by HealthyCycling on 1 Aug 2020, 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd say that if you like cycling glasses, wear them.

I can't see any point in wearing a mask to protect you from covid19 while cycling.

Some riders have long worn masks as protection against pollution but there's a debate about their value against things like diesel particulates and short of breathing apparatus, I don't think there's anything to filter out carbon monoxide and the other killer gases like nitrogen dioxide that would be compatible with cycling.
HealthyCycling

Post by HealthyCycling »

Thank you for that I value that opinion and it makes sense, though I'm not wearing for covid 19 or carbon emissions alone, yet my health concerns are regarding the thousands of pollutants we do have. I'd like to reduce it as much as possible, "especially" when moving at speed

I've seen images of both being used, yet when I try it. glasses steam up :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I fear the answer lies in the taming of the internal combustion engine. I think it's more or less impossible to cycle in breathing equipment.
HealthyCycling

Post by HealthyCycling »

Alright thank you for your responses, Got some thinking to do :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

HealthyCycling wrote:Masks can cause glasses to steam up, rather than choosing glasses or mask, I am asking for some advice on ways to protect eyes and inhalation at the same time, how it can be done without problems?

I suggest trying some proprietary anti-misting stuff. On the glasses.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's other reasons for wearing masks. For example they are capable of filtering out pollen which can cause misery for sufferers. They do filter out some particles that may cause issues to some. I'd prefer to assume the OP has a good reason and try to help them come up with a solution. I'm afraid I wear prescription glasses but never worn a mask. I've worn buffs and they can be worn to minimize fogging.
mjr

Post by mjr »

If the mask is close-fitting enough to keep out pollution, I think it shouldn't cause fogging.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i struggle wearing a mask (as currently required) for a 20 minute shop, the thought of wearing one whilst doing proper exercise doesn't bear thinking about! Even in a shop environment without exertion, my glasses often steam up (mind you, i can have that happen without a mask outdoors too if the conditions are just so).

Mask wearing for cycling, like helmet wearing, preys on insecurities and if mask wearers are as lax as helmet wearers in fit and maintenance, the nett result will be a similar 'no point' in wearing it. (i wear helmets in the same way i wear a mask - only when not doing so would prevent me doing an activity.) Proper filtration masks are expensive, need the filters replacing regularly and are not intended for hard exercise - firemen in all the gear do not rush about! So be careful what you wish for.

On the other hand, eye protection is, imo, pretty much mandatory, the number of times mine have prevented eye/face injury not only from insects and road debris but branches and other wavy stuff alongside roads and trails is legion.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
grufty

Post by grufty »

I wear ski goggles over glasses with a Buff tucked under the goggles, works quite well. I wear for allergies, mostly allergic to poor driving! :wink:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mjr wrote:If the mask is close-fitting enough to keep out pollution, I think it shouldn't cause fogging.

But with pollen or some other irritants or pollutants it could be about a threshold advice which you get issues such as allergic reaction.

One of my allergens is dust but that's everywhere and I can't avoid it. I don't suffer with allergic reaction due to dust all the time I get it when I vacuum or dust or do so called domestic jobs at home. BTW I have a vacuum recommended by an allergy organisation for this country but it still triggers a reaction if I vacuum and for some time afterwards in the vacuumed room. A threshold needs to be passed.

You might not need a close fitting mask only close enough fitting mask to prevent you reaching that threshold but still capable of fogging up glasses.

Then again what about those valves? Sports masks and other masks sometimes or often use valves to make the mask more comfortable. They close breathing in but open breathing out. Does your breath from those not fog glasses a bit too?
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Protective specs are a must IME, I've been hit in the face too many times by large insects and small stones to think anything else. YMMV
You don't need to spend a fortune to get the latest look, £5-£10 will buy a pair of safety specs made by companies that supply cycling specs at 10x the price and look similar
Look at this (link) and consider their advice on levels and health messages before going out I'm not a scientist but I suspect that the five pollutants will all get breathed in through a simple mask, whether the mask will improve things for you is another matter. As a supposedly healthy individual I don't wear one but again YMMV
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Sometimes difficult for people who already wear glasses. I was able to get fishing overglasses. A bit uncomfortable unless you pay a small fortune. And, apparently, you 'need' a whole spectrum of coloured lenses to deal with every month if the year and hour of the day.

Ok, that is hyperbole but you get the point.

As far as masks go, living in the far north it is nice that, for now at least, pollution is minimal. Obviously when a diesel overtakes me there are noxious particles being emitted. I have been known to hold my breath.
John