All of a sudden I'm doing a LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Brianjeff50

Re: All of a sudden I'm doing a LEJOG

Post by Brianjeff50 »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Local lockdowns now an issue?
Alternative routes for plan B & C?

My plan A is pretty flexible. Looks like it’ll have to be a non-stop leg through the northern conurbations. But we are six weeks ahead so who knows what will be going on.
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

[These are the steps that Ron has mentioned (a few posts earlier). They are dreadful. They involve taking all your luggage off your bike and carrying it and your bike down this set of steps. You then reload your bike to push along the walkway before having to repeat the process at the other end - as there is another set of steps. As mentioned it would be easier to stay on the A836 from Bonar Bridge.]

I'll defend Sustrans in routing NCN 1 over the Kyle of Sutherland by providing a footbridge at Invershin in that there can be very fast moving traffic on the alternative along the A836 through Bonar Bridge. Sure it involves navigating 50 steps which may mean unclipping the panniers but to me 't' ain't much of an issue.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Brianjeff50 wrote:

My plan A is pretty flexible. Looks like it’ll have to be a non-stop leg through the northern conurbations. But we are six weeks ahead so who knows what will be going on.

I think what Matt2 is hinting at is to do with B&Bs etc suddenly having to close. Actually being on the road is a lot less chance of being infected. Currently parts of East Lanc's has gone into local lockdown and this could happen anywhere. Could be worth checking the next nights destination the night before.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

Enigmadick wrote:I'll defend Sustrans in routing NCN 1 over the Kyle of Sutherland by providing a footbridge at Invershin in that there can be very fast moving traffic on the alternative along the A836 through Bonar Bridge. Sure it involves navigating 50 steps which may mean unclipping the panniers but to me 't' ain't much of an issue.

In my area we have a number of pedestrian/cycle overbridges all of which are easily ridable. There are several over the "new" A5 at Tamworth which were built as part of the construction of the dual carriageway. There's one over the A38 south of Lichfield which was built as a result of campaigning by the CTC. No Sustrans involvement in any of it which probably explains why they're actually fit for purpose.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

cycleruk wrote:
Brianjeff50 wrote:

I think what Matt2 is hinting at is to do with B&Bs etc suddenly having to close. Actually being on the road is a lot less chance of being infected. Currently parts of East Lanc's has gone into local lockdown and this could happen anywhere. Could be worth checking the next nights destination the night before.

I think the trick is going to be to stick to more rural areas as restrictions seem to be mainly in conurbations.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'd suggest going via avonmouth / seven bridges.

Also go up into the Wirral over the mersey ferry and up the A6 misses Manchester conurbation.

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Is that the way you went james?
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

PaulaT wrote:
cycleruk wrote:
Brianjeff50 wrote:My plan A is pretty flexible. Looks like it’ll have to be a non-stop leg through the northern conurbations. But we are six weeks ahead so who knows what will be going on.

I think the trick is going to be to stick to more rural areas as restrictions seem to be mainly in conurbations.

Yes, I'm aiming for a rural route and will be thinking ahead about accomm and also checking on what's booked - they don't have to be put in lockdown to choose to shut. My default schedule is the Wimps' one but I'm aiming to stay flexible on route and accomm.
The Greater Manchester area is clearly the toughest part to get through but from what I've seen, there are routes that currently should be okay - but by mid September who knows?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Yes simply because I was doing it in 8 days.

I knew the roads around clevedon well which helped.

Has done cheddar gorge before.

Wirral Merseyside was due to accomodation.

If I were doing 14 days I would make the route more scenic rather than the a49!!

Cheers James

Also
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Brianjeff50 wrote:Yes, I'm aiming for a rural route and will be thinking ahead about accomm and also checking on what's booked - they don't have to be put in lockdown to choose to shut.

Sounds wise. How about booking one night ahead and enquiring two nights ahead?

Do you have a favourite source/ website/ app?

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are a couple of good kit lists in the 'too good to lose'

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=85590
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48438
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Brianjeff50

Post by Brianjeff50 »

Jdsk wrote:
Brianjeff50 wrote:Yes, I'm aiming for a rural route and will be thinking ahead about accomm and also checking on what's booked - they don't have to be put in lockdown to choose to shut.

Sounds wise. How about booking one night ahead and enquiring two nights ahead?

Do you have a favourite source/ website/ app?

Jonathan

So far just Airbnb with looks at booking.com and premier inn and Travelodge apps on phone.
On Airbnb I only opt for room with private bathroom.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I sometimes find things on Booking.com but not elsewhere.

Jonathan

PS: Although we're having some problems with a refund at the moment...
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I've started to use PayPal more now, they seem really quick at getting you your money back.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I mentioned above about local lock-downs in the Lancashire towns. This only involves meeting within groups of people and may effect an overnight stop in B&Bs etc. While out on road I wouldn't expect any problems except if going into shops or cafes.
Puffins route around the Warrington/Wigan area looks interesting as the Wimps route uses the A49 in that area. Perhaps a combination of the routes may give a more pleasant ride. Puffin's route looks to use some canal towpaths and perhaps Puffin can comment on surfaces. I'm personally not a fan of towpaths but generally they don't consist of many hills but can add a few miles and are slower.
PS. As MickF noted sometime, the towns are a source of supplies so can come in handy.
When the Wimps did their ride it was a scorcher and not enough ice-cream shops were available out in the sticks. :mrgreen:
You'll never know if you don't try it.