Chain for Shimano Uniglide cassette

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Flying-Robert

Re: Chain for Shimano Uniglide cassette

Post by Flying-Robert »

Shall I buy a new Cassette?Image

Gesendet von meinem CPH1911 mit Tapatalk
Flying-Robert

Post by Flying-Robert »

I have to apologise for the multiple posts, but I have used Tapatalk and this App is not working well. It is creating multiple posts and other confusion.

I am receiving the message that the post was not uploaded.

Then that I cannot reply in a short period, then it appears that all went through, and then the Admin gets upset and eraseing it.

What a bad start with my problem on my bike.

Graham thanks for the advice.

Regards
Bob
Flying-Robert

Post by Flying-Robert »

Dear all, I have an street bike from 1987. It is equipment with an Shimano Golden Arrow 105 System.

It has a Uniglide 6Speed cassette.
Here the problem. The original chain is stretched and worn out. I have replaced the chain to 1/2 to 3/32. Now on the cog no. 6 (13Tooth) the chain gets lifted up buy the tooth under load only. I am having tested an universal Shimano chain as well.

I am hardly finding a correct chain that fits. I am speechless und no clue how to replace.

Here some pictures of the cogs& chain dimensions.
Attachments
IMG20200711153150.jpg
Flying-Robert

Post by Flying-Robert »

Does someone know what UG 5B means. see picture of chain.

Is this UG 51 ????

Thanks
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

as per my post of 12.28pm the 13T sprocket has hook-shaped teeth; I wouldn't expect that to run smoothly with a new chain, not under load.

There are other worn sprockets too, but they are not as worn, and anyway those sprockets can be turned on the splined fitted so that they have a 'second life'.

Don't worry about getting UG chain; there is nothing special about it dimensionally, it is not related to your problems (a new UG chain would skip on your worn sprockets too) and you can't buy new UG chain anyway.

One trick you can play is to use 7s chain and also 7s sprocket spacers (instead of 6s ones). This usually allows you enough room on the freehub body to turn the 13T sprocket the other way so that it too can have a 'second life'. You will need five 7s spacers in this case.

New UG sprockets are difficult to find these days. HG sprockets can be fitted to a UG freehub body, provided you are able to modify the spline on each sprocket. However this doesn't solve the problem of the top threaded sprocket.

If you normally use the 13T sprocket with the small chainring, probably there is a duplicate gear ratio (using the big chainring) you could use instead; this will help prevent wear on the 13T sprocket.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RobertRichard

Post by RobertRichard »

Shimano XTR CS-M980 10 Speed Titanium Cassette - 11-34t Matching Chain Good On Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-XTR-CS-M980-10-Speed-Titanium?
Flying-Robert

Post by Flying-Robert »

Dear Brucey you are a good man.

Thanks I am trying to find a 13T UG Cog or a complete cassette.

Buy the way I have found a new source for a Shimano UG Chain. Not sure if this it OEM or Counterfeit.

€ 10,04 17%OFF | CN-UG51 Kette MTB fahrrad bike kette 6S 7S 8s für UG51
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dTIJlza

Thanks
Bob
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You can buy 13 T top cogs and a good range of the others uniglide on eBay, NOS.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Flying-Robert

Post by Flying-Robert »

I have found a interesting Japanese web site about Shimano System

I have found out that my UG System is compatible with Shimano 600.
And my Top Cog Thread Dia. is 34,6.

Can this be confirmed. All you understand I am a rookie in bike stuff.
Trying to learn the shifting products.

Greetings
Bob

http://dt6110.web.fc2.com/parts/cassette20.html

Gesendet von meinem CPH1911 mit Tapatalk
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Flying-Robert wrote:….I have found out that my UG System is compatible with Shimano 600.
And my Top Cog Thread Dia. is 34,6.

All shimano UG splined cassette sprockets are compatible but Dura-Ace UG threaded top sprockets use a smaller screw thread than 34.6mm so are not compatible. This was to allow a 12T sprocket to be fitted to the Dura-Ace hubs, and the difference is usually fairly obvious in any photograph of the threaded sprocket.

NB the three skinny bolts that hold the splined sprockets together in most UG/HG cassettes are simply not necessary; they are only present to facilitate assembly and are not necessary when the bike is in use.

AFAICT UG sprockets from 4,5,6,7,8s UG cassettes are all the same thickness, which means that you can build them into any type of cassette provided the correct spacers are used. In your case you have more freedom to chop and change because you should have friction shifting not index shifting, hence my earlier suggestion about respacing the cassette to 7s spacing which will allow you to turn and reuse the threaded sprocket.

cheers
Flying-Robert

Post by Flying-Robert »

Dear Brucey I have found this offer on Velosaloon but the liste diameter say 34mm instead of 34,6mm and the part no does not match
with the one I have read on your PDF for Mdell FH6207 600EX
There were listed 357 1315 (13T)
and 357 1312 (13T)

The offer from Velo is listing 3571310.
NOS Shimano 600 EX Uniglide Top Sprocket #3571310 with 13 teeth from the 1970s - 80s
Weight / Gewicht :
22 g

Range / Abstufung :

Inner diameter / Innendurchmesser :
34.0mm (threaded/mit Gewinde)

Condition / Zustand :
New old stock (NOS), see pictures /

Please note / Bemerkung :
May show signs from storage /
https://www.velosaloon.com/products/nos-shimano-600-ex-top-sprocket-with-13-teeth-from-the-1970s-80s

Will that cog work for me? I have 34,6mm

Thank you so much! Stay healthy
Bob
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I don't think the Dura-Ace UG threaded top sprocket is as large as 34mm; I don't have one to hand to measure it but you can see it is at least 2mm smaller than the major diameter of the splines on the freehub body here;

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-7360-0658.pdf

The standard UG top threaded sprockets (for everything but Dura-Ace) are very close to 1.370" (34.78mm); I have seen people try and use them as fixed gear sprockets (which is not a good idea as the diameter is not correct).

I can only suppose that the 34mm dimension is a bad listing (although it does say inner diameter which could be close to correct...?), but I have no means of demonstrating that.

What I can tell you is that I have freely interchanged FH-6400 UG sprockets with FH-1050 and earlier UG sprockets. These are all listed as BC34.6 eg

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-FH-6400-0838B.pdf

cheers