Wolfson upgrades/dynamo mounting

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nomm

Wolfson upgrades/dynamo mounting

Post by nomm »

Hi,

I have been enjoying my summer 'tide me over' bike so much that I think it is here to stay permanently. This is probably my first true 'roadie' bike as my previous builds have been load carriers rather than speed orientated.

Having completed several 100km+ rides at the weekend and commuting some longer routes to work it is time to start pondering some upgrades with the help of your experience. Thus far all I have splashed out on is some longboard mudguards.

Dynamo/wheel builds -

Most of my previous/current bikes have dynamos, and I plan to use this year round, but I often run this one with a bar bag and mounting options for a light, with this frame, are limited due to its compact front end - any ideas? It has a carbon fork so I am a bit weary of a P-clip system.

Further to this is how light (while strong enough to carry a 65KG rider + 10KG + 5Kg MAX) can I go with alloy wheel set ups - I have asked Ryan Builds wheels for some quotes on a SP SV-9 dynamo hub.

Saddle Bag -

Another option is to get a decent saddle bag, and maybe swap out the bar bag (although I like having access to snacks in front of me) - I am torn with the sizes of the carradice range - go large with the super-C 23L for future touring options/commuting (although limited for the time being with covid) or keep it simple - I have liked the look/design of the SQR tour 16L.

BTW if anyone lives near bristol and owns either of these bags and would be happy for a temp loan - I would buy you a lot of beer.

Brakes -

It has been a while since I have run rim brakes, and I am generally happy with the performance of the Tektro R737 DP Caliper Brakes - but what would be the sensible step up from this or the "best" rim brakes if money was not an issue.

I am looking forward to your musings...
Brucey

Re: Wolfson upgrades/dynamo mounting

Post by Brucey »

if you are interested in optimising the strength/weight of the front wheel then I would suggest a hub with wider spaced flanges, eg a SON widebody. With that hub pretty much any rim will be more than strong enough for your intended use, as long as you don't go for a daft low spoke count. 700C wheels with narrow spaced hub flanges tend to be limited by the flange spacing especially when lighter rims are used.

If you want to run a front light without complications then a saddlebag is the easy option. Alternatively you could fit a small front rack for a front bag and use the rack to mount the light on. Not sure how easy this would be with a carbon fork though.

FWIW if you must have snacks out in front, 'nosebag style', then a second, small bag could be employed for that purpose alone, in combination with a saddlebag....? For example you can get small bags which accommodate a smartphone/GPS and have enough room for snacks too, which sit on the top tube just behind the stem.

If the saddlebag might otherwise contain a waterproof and a few other odds and ends, you may not need much of a bag at all; you can carry enough for day rides bundled up and bungied to the back of the saddle.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
igauk

Post by igauk »

I wouldn't have thought an 80kg all up weight would trouble any well built wheel irrespective of the hub/rim, so long, as Brucey says, you don't have daft low spoke counts - something like 28 hole, double butted spokes, brass nipples, two or three cross lacing would seem appropriate (I used to run this on my 700C wheeled audax bike with a Shimano dyno hub for years and I'm 10kg heavier than you).

There are 101 ways to mount a light, clamps for steerers, head tubes, racks, forks etc. SJS is a good place to look. Nothing wrong with a P-clip but the profile of a carbon fork might not be accommodating.

For light weight versatile luggage look at the bike packing style saddle bags from Apidura, Alpkit etc. As Brucey says, pair with a top tube bag. I've a couple that can easily carry a powerbank, keys, snacks etc. You can get little draw string 'stem cell' bags as well.

As for brakes, Shimano R650 often top the log-drop caliper polls, good balance of price/performance/quality. Velo Orange Grand Cru if you want to get spendy for marginal gains. As ever, good pads make all the difference - Koolstop salmon or SwissStop BXP.
Moulton TSR 30
nomm

Post by nomm »

OK brill - I think maybe a decent top bar bag + saddle bag could be good, as my bar bag will see use elsewhere

R650s look like a good option and Spa have them as a set and in stock - thanks

I have looked at bag options including Apidura, Alpkit etc and know people who use them - but the faff involved with opening and closing for items, and having to pack in a back to front way each time seems to negate any versatility (plus I am trying to work out if I can get a work laptop into the smaller Carradice Super-C options)

Thanks for the wheel build strength tip - I think I could probably justify a SON hub considering the use the bike will get.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

nomm wrote:Hi,

Most of my previous/current bikes have dynamos, and I plan to use this year round, but I often run this one with a bar bag and mounting options for a light, with this frame, are limited due to its compact front end - any ideas? It has a carbon fork so I am a bit weary of a P-clip system.

Further to this is how light (while strong enough to carry a 65KG rider + 10KG + 5Kg MAX) can I go with alloy wheel set ups - I have asked Ryan Builds wheels for some quotes on a SP SV-9 dynamo hub.

Brakes -

It has been a while since I have run rim brakes, and I am generally happy with the performance of the Tektro R737 DP Caliper Brakes - but what would be the sensible step up from this or the "best" rim brakes if money was not an issue.

I am looking forward to your musings...

As a circa 97kg rider and have been heavier - 107kg) I've not had issues with low spoke count wheels, carbon or alloy, currently ride Campagnolo Bora tubs on best bike that are 21/18 spokes and FRm/Gigantex 24/20s before that when I was at the heavier weight, 28/24 on Velocity A23s and Dura Ace 9000 hubs.

Re calipers, TRP957s, spendy but fabulous brakes, I can get mudguards and 31mm measured tyre underneath :D

P-clips on carbon forks, as I mentioned before I bought one of the light blue's for the misses, the CF forks are certainly lower grade than I'd usually buy though adequate for her needs, I reckon a normal clamp so you could fit a low rider would be fine so long as you're not going silly loads, other alternate is quick release rack mount.