SPA CYCLES Elan

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Heltor Chasca

Re: SPA CYCLES Elan

Post by Heltor Chasca »

thegreatpan wrote:I've bought an Elan with a trekking triple as opposed to the 105 chainset that is standard. I love it!

Snap! I really appreciate the triple here in the South West. 155 klicks across Dartmoor (Ghost ride) last Saturday night it was very welcome. (2150m climb)

I've got the Mendip Transmitter 100 this weekend (1650m) and next weekend a 200 klick ride with 1900m of climbing. Granny all the way.
thegreatpan

Post by thegreatpan »

Yes, with the cable discs.
Ray

Re: SPA CYCLES Elan - thread resurrection

Post by Ray »

Resurrecting this thread to ask opinions on the Elan (Ti or steel), particularly from those with longer term experience.

I love my steel Spa Audax but am tempted by an Elan, with the possibility of wider tyres to cope with poorer surfaces, both on and off road. I could envisage swapping wheels and/or tyres to suit weather and terrain.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Ray, if you live in West Yorkshire, just go to the shop and get a ride. (But not if you are in Kirklees or Calderdale, please, with the Covid 19 )
There should be test bikes available in all the sizes, and you can take one out for a couple of hours, not just round the car park.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks, Colin. I'm in Wakefield, so free to travel, and I certainly have it in mind to try a test ride, as I did before buying my Spa Audax.

I like the Audax for its responsive ride - not much slower than my carbon bike, and more comfortable. If I were to buy an Elan, I'd think about selling my Audax. Would you say there's much between the two bikes when it comes to brisk road rides, given similar tyres? Outright speed not at all important, but I'm not getting any younger, so I just don't want to make it any harder than it needs to be!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
531colin

Post by 531colin »

If I compare the Audax and Elan honestly, it sounds like a sales pitch!
But, if you run bigger, light tyres at a sensible pressure then the Elan is more comfortable; the brakes are better, and it responds quicker to rider input due to a laterally stiffer frame.
Ride one!
Ray

Post by Ray »

I hope, but don't really expect, that as the frame designer you'll be pulling in a handsome 'royalty' for every frame that's sold :wink:

Seriously, that's helpful because I wasn't aware that the Elan was laterally stiffer. Not sure that I'd want to get rid of my carbon lightweight (which does a different job), but I can see the Elan being the only other bike I need nowadays. And the prospect of emptying the garage of little-used hardware is rather attractive!

And yes, I will get over to Starbeck and have a ride. When I test-rode the Audax I discovered 'Beryl Burton Way' - which I hope still exists?

Cheers
Ray
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Yeah, Beryl Burton cyclepath is still there; she was a nice woman....and I do get a commission on frame sales!
Ray

Post by Ray »

531colin wrote:Yeah, Beryl Burton cyclepath is still there; she was a nice woman.

OK, something to look out for. I've ridden through the area many times, but it was only when doodling around on a test ride that I came across it.

..and I do get a commission on frame sales!

Well, that was meant as a joke, not as an intrusive question ... but it's good to hear that your design skills and experience continue to be rewarded, Colin!
Ray
Stripey71

Post by Stripey71 »

Another resurrection, this time to say thank you for all of the informative posts, lively discussion and interesting opinions. I have just placed my order for the 56cm Elan Ti frame to replace un unloved Planet X London Road. I'm hoping, in my 50th year to rediscover the joy of cycling I had in my youth.

I'm looking forward to getting my Rival 1x 11spd Hydraulic build onto it first and possibly gearing up in the future with a closer ratio 2x and getting some Hope tubeless wheels... we shall see.