Self owning motorist tweets - a place to post them!!!

Tangled Metal

Self owning motorist tweets - a place to post them!!!

Post by Tangled Metal »

I wonder how many cases of self owning motorists we can find? Can't help liking the kid carrying cargo bikes that the taxi driver fears!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... larly/amp/
tatanab

Re: Self owning motorist tweets - a place to post them!!!

Post by tatanab »

I don't understand "self owning". Could you explain? In newspeak I thought "you owned that" meant you did well, such as "you owned that song".

I am not taking the mickey, I am genuinely curious what it means in this case.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

to own someone is to ridicule them (online) for some perceived weakness or error - so self-owning is when the subject inadvertantly gives the game away... that is to say, it is all about social-media - stay off social media and you don't get owned, and likewise, there is no risk of self-owning... a person could be as wrong as wrong could be, but without the social media element, that particular tree will fall in the forest, and no-one would know.
...I think!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Self owning. Gas lighting. Woke. Passive aggressive. I can't keep up.

Sometimes I feel I don't fit any more.
John
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

tatanab wrote:I don't understand "self owning". Could you explain? In newspeak I thought "you owned that" meant you did well, such as "you owned that song".

I am not taking the mickey, I am genuinely curious what it means in this case.

As I understand it, "self-own" can be used as either a noun or verb. It's roughly equivalent to an own goal, or to the act of scoring one.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Agree that the word own has shifted quite quickly from the Oxford English Dictionary definition
verb
[with object] have (something) as one's own; possess: his father owns a restaurant | (as adjective, in combination -owned) a state-owned company.
...through owning as in to retake ownership of a word considered misused... through to owning as taking control of the arguement... and now, self-owned ! All the same basic meaning, but in a slightly different context.
Believe you me, there are faaar more difficult words & meanings out there to keep up with!! Talk to someone who's young & with-it and you (as in, me!) won't have a chance :roll:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I thought it's origins is in the hacker community as in "you've been pwned!" messages in computer screens that have been hacked in movie films. Pwned as in pawned being understood as being owned by the person who hacked your computer.

In this case it's using the meaning of the wider community which owning is ridiculing so self owning is self ridicule often without meaning to. Own goal is similar meaning or drift.

So has anyone else seen a good own goal example by a motorist, taxi driver, truck driver or other anti-cyclist type?

PS I hope I see some examples instead of it becoming a thread about the etymological origins of the word owned in this context!!! :lol:
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I.E. GOBBLEDYGOOK
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Tangled Metal wrote:I hope I see some examples instead of it becoming a thread about the etymological origins of the word owned in this context!!! :lol:
That would not happen if your thread title used plain English instead of slang. Bear in mind that some (many?) here will not be au fait with every nuance of newspeak. I think you would get more replies with examples if you made this change - i.e in newspeak "make the thread more accessible". :P
millimole

Post by millimole »

tatanab wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:I hope I see some examples instead of it becoming a thread about the etymological origins of the word owned in this context!!!
That would not happen if your thread title used plain English instead of slang. Bear in mind that some (many?) here will not be au fait with every nuance of newspeak. I think you would get more replies with examples if you made this change - i.e in newspeak "make the thread more accessible". :P
Agreed - it's an example of how to mangle the language to obscure a message!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Randy_Butternubs

Post by Randy_Butternubs »

Using slang can be confusing but let's not pretend it's existence it somehow new or sinister! "Newspeak" has an Orwellian connotation that doesn't fit at all. Besides which, "owned" is around 20 years old.

Also, it seems "gas-lighting" is around 60 years old and "passive-aggressive" around 80 :lol:
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Oldjohnw wrote:Self owning. Gas lighting. Woke. Passive aggressive. I can't keep up.

Sometimes I feel I don't fit any more.

I came across the word Woke recently, I have no idea what it means and really can’t be bothered to find out.
Beauty will save the world.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Randy_Butternubs wrote:Using slang can be confusing but let's not pretend it's existence it somehow new or sinister! "Newspeak" has an Orwellian connotation that doesn't fit at all. Besides which, "owned" is around 20 years old.

Also, it seems "gas-lighting" is around 60 years old and "passive-aggressive" around 80

Well said. And every word, usage and spelling was once novel. Why should the wonderful development of language stop now?

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jdsk wrote:
Randy_Butternubs wrote:Using slang can be confusing but let's not pretend it's existence it somehow new or sinister! "Newspeak" has an Orwellian connotation that doesn't fit at all. Besides which, "owned" is around 20 years old.

Also, it seems "gas-lighting" is around 60 years old and "passive-aggressive" around 80

Well said. And every word, usage and spelling was once novel. Why should the wonderful development of language stop now?

Jonathan

Because people do not like what that do not like. 20 years ago perhaps some complaining on use of this slang were too busy preparing for that retirement to keep up to date on modern English language. :lol:

I find this thread confusing when people are complaining about use of slang but I've not exactly noticed they're against slang in this forum. I guess it's ok if it's the right slang!!

As to languages evolving, well I work in an office with two women in the 18-25 age range. They are my lexicon of modern slang that I can refer to when an internet forum introduces me to a new word. I've used them for that purpose after reading new words on here before now so I do find it interesting why owned has caused this thread derailing so completely. How do we collectively choose which slang is and isn't acceptable?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Tangled Metal wrote:well I work in an office with two women in the 18-25 age range.

You're down wiv de yoof dem. :lol: